The Wallabies attack hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in 2010 – so what can be improved?
In this video I’ve looked at a short sequence of phases in the 3rd minute of Bledisloe 2 to show what I think needs to be improved. Whilst there are other issues, the themes shown in this video are the most recurrent for me and have been repeated game after game this season.
In summary the issues are:
- One out runners with little support;
- Playing with too much depth with the ball runner receiving the ball too far away from the contact line;
- Players not committing defenders before they pass;
- Attackers not realigning quickly enough which is creating slow ball – in my opinion it’s not the halfback creating slow ball in the majority of cases;
- A lack of organisation that results from a lack of any sort of attacking structure;
- A lack of innovation.
There’s no rocket science here – just paying attention to the basics.