QLD GPS R3: Round of the Year

QLD GPS R3: Round of the Year

Green and Gold Rugby is pleased to present three of the four heavyweight match-ups from Round Three of the Queensland GPS 1st XV Rugby season.

With Nudgee College out of action courtesy of the bye, every team in the competition had at worst a 50/50 chance of defeating their opponents on a brilliantly sunny July weekend.
sporple schoolboy leaderboard

Two of the competition’s four undefeated teams clashed on the Gold Coast as The Southport School hosted Brisbane Boys’ College in an Old Boys Day thriller, winning G&GR’s Game of the Round 20-17. ChekMate provides his excellent sophomore match report below.

Gregory Terrace announced their candidacy for the Premiership with a second consecutive thumping – this time, taking Ipswich Grammar to town in a 44-24 smackdown. Nic Darveniza provides his account below.

State High have defended their undefeated status with a key win over Toowoomba Grammar, at Carina, 38-26. Fraser Barton reports, for the QRU Media Unit.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Churchie have secured their maiden win, at the same time sending Brisbane Grammar tumbling to a third consecutive defeat 27-20.

Again, thank you to our photographers for the round HJ Nelson and Carter Douglas Photography

In a new edition to our coverage, check out DoubleTake Live’s Tries of the Round Highlights package here:


Game of the Round: TSS 20 defeated BBC 17


It had the pre match hype of a title fight. The competition’s two tallest locks going at each other; a young kid from Perth who can kick a goal from anywhere; a BBC 1st XV team that travelled the night before and stayed on the Gold Coast to prepare; a massive crowd at The Village Green at TSS on TSS Old Boys Day, and the hype delivered. However, where the pre-match battles were identified and suggested, it was Messer’s Nucifora and Dowd from TSS that calmly and slowly brought down the demise of BBC.

Perfect conditions, more that of a spring day, plus huge crowds greeted both schools for a great day’s rugby. Both teams entered the arena; TSS walked through their tunnel, arm on shoulder, linked as they strode out for the battle. BBC flew out of their tunnel, amped, prepared, ready to win.

From the start, BBC kicked off and for 5 minutes the big crowd were treated to a brutal contest with both packs testing each other out. No side was gaining the upper hand then a penalty is given to TSS and up steps this young gun goal kicking prodigy from Perth in Campbell Parata who effortlessly slots the goal from the 50m line and into the wind. 3-0 to TSS

The next 10 minutes saw both sides throwing everything at each other like a physical game of chess. Both halfbacks screaming at their forward packs to deliver with both backlines running plays searching for that elusive space to take advantage of. The contest between the two 13’s was enthralling as Ikitau from BBC and Kapea from TSS used every skill and trick in the book to get an advantage over each other. The end result was a draw. Both sides looked like they were suffering from the conditions and something; someone had to crack; and it did.

The kicking in general play was much smarter from TSS with Nucifora and Dowd carefully slotting the ball at the touch line and into space where TSS were pre-set and ready to defend. This kicking duel culminated in TSS receiving the ball from an aimless BBC kick, and TSS attacked on their right flank where the BBC defence was disjointed, culminating in the TSS 14 in Dovey scoring in the corner. Another magnificent kick from Parata saw the scoreline jump out to 10-0 to TSS at the nineteen minute mark and the crowd started to look at each other and wondered if this was going to be a repeat performance of 2014 where TSS went on with it.

TSS winger Koen Dovey makes a break

TSS winger Koen Dovey makes a break

With nine minutes to go, both sides just went at each other and it was BBC that found itself with prime field position from a penalty. Camped on the TSS 22m line, BBC opted for a scrum. The BBC backline was set; you could see the indecision in the TSS backline pre scrum feed as they were unsure how to defensively set against the BBC backline attack setup. From the scrum win, BBC pulled off a backline play that will see it re run in promotions for years to come, where the left BBC winger Louis Faux ran a line from the blind touchline, behind the scrum, between the grasping TSS defence to score untouched under the posts. It was brilliant to watch. Conversion successful and both teams went to half time with the score at 10-7 to TSS.

Trevor Hosea offloads in the tackle of Ted Stuart

Trevor Hosea offloads in the tackle of Ted Stuart

Start of the second half and If anyone doubted the fitness and power of both teams, then they were in for a treat, as the first five minutes saw both forward packs step it up another gear and just rip into each other. No fighting, no dirty play, no cheap shots. The crowd were treated to some down to earth, good old fashioned skills done very, very well and very respectfully.

The sixth minute of the second half saw a ruck penalty to BBC. BBC inside center Nat Carswell kicks a monster punt kick to give BBC a lineout on the TSS 30m line. BBC won the lineout and shot it wide through the back line, then at the next ruck, BBC realigned and swung the ball back the opposite way catching the TSS defence out wide seeing the BBC fullback Solomon Stone score out wide. Conversion unsuccessful and the score line reads 12-10 to BBC.

But no sooner did BBC get their nose in front that man Parat steps up and slots another penalty to bring the home side in front 13-12 two minutes later.

The intensity of the game did not decrease with both sides testing each other’s defensive structures looking for an advantage; TSS by targeting the BBC ball carrier and holding them up looking for the scrum feed; BBC attacking the space around the ball on the ground. It was riveting. Something had to give and it did with the TSS scrum half Ted Stuart darting down the blind side between the tiring BBC defence, standing up the BBC fullback and passed the ball onto a big and unmarked Angus Blyth to score. Conversion successful and TSS slowly moving ahead again. TSS 20 BBC 12.

Angus Blyth heads to the tryline

Angus Blyth heads to the tryline

Most teams would have thrown in the towel and said enough with 20 minutes to go but the battle kept continuing. It didn’t decrease, it was amazing watching these players and reminding yourself that they still attend school. Ding Ding…. Next round.

BBC saw some ball and kept testing the TSS defence which stood up continually until, with five minutes to go and from a BBC scrum win, the ball went wide to see BBC winger Finn Mousey score out wide. The conversion missed.

TSS slowly walked back to the kick restart, painfully hoping that the clock will call time. Both teams near out on their feet. BBC simply ran out of time as 1min 33 secs later, the referee blew his whistle and TSS won for their old boys on the hill. What a game!

Trevor Hosea and Angus Blyth contest a restart

Trevor Hosea and Angus Blyth contest a restart

The Southport School 20 (Tries: Dovey, Blyth    Conv: Parata  2/2   Penalty: 2/2) defeated Brisbane Boys College 17 (Tries: Faux, Stone, Mounsey   Conv: Henry  1/3)

Summary: This game came down to quality field position to attack from and whilst both teams contested tenaciously, to the point of nullifying each other, the single skill that separated both teams was the superior general play kicking of Nucifora and Dowd.

Players to note: All players from both teams played an essential role in this remarkable game of rugby. Credit to both coaching teams, support staff and the crowds for providing this spectacle.


Gregory Terrace 44 defeated Ipswich Grammar School 24

Nic Darveniza

Gregory Terrace have slammed open the race to 2016’s GPS Rugby Premiership with a 42-24 win over Ipswich Grammar School at Tennyson.

IGS, whose dogged defence last week carried them within two-points of competition favourites TSS, were left grasping at thin air as Terrace’s backline ran rings around their opposition.

Australian Schoolboys winger Will Eadie was at his sublime best on the day, slicing and dicing his way to as fine an individual performance ever seen at Tennyson.

National representatives Isaac Lucas (two tries) and Harry Wilson proved capable partners-in-crime as Terrace roared to a second consecutive seven-try performance.

Head coach Ben McCormack, the last Gregory Terrace captain to raise the GPS Trophy in 2004, said that while the team showed improvement, their performance was far from the finished product.

“We’re very happy in the fact that we’ve continued to get better as the season’s progressed,” McCormack said.

“Our shape in attack looked much better than the previous two weeks and the boys backed themselves to score points from structure, kick-return and in the loose.

“Conceding four tries was less than ideal, because we won’t get away with winning games conceding that many points against some of the strong teams we’ve got coming up,” McCormack said.

GT v IGS Terrace Ipswich 2016

Hoani Ford-Stevens gets on-ball (Carter Douglas Photography)

Though Terrace opened the scoring in the first minute with a Sam Kirk penalty goal, Ipswich Grammar’s aggressive ball-carriers bullied the home defence throughout the opening exchanges.

Front row trio Eugene Koorts, Kolio Petersen-Timu and Jason Tani pounded IGS over the advantage line, earning winger Ratu Niumataiwalu the quick ball needed to slip between defenders and score.

The fine work went to waste when Terrace reclaimed an ill-advised Ipswich chip and chase attempt on exit, spreading through the hands to winger Jordan Rogers to snatch back the lead in the seventh minute.

Terrace pinned Ipswich deep in their half, dominating territory and possession before unlocking the defence with spectacular footwork from Isaac Lucas, the Terrace flyhalf snapping three pairs of ankles to score.

Lucas was back showing off his side-stepping ability in the 19th minute, putting a first defender on skates before passing through the hands of hooker Harry Birgan to find Will Eadie.

Eadie laid on the footwork himself with a strong in-and-away move, bursting to the outside to draw the fullback and pass inside for Lucas’ second try in 10 minutes.

Ipswich’s discipline continued to shoot the visitors in the foot as flanker Cam Howard peeled off a lineout maul to score.

Prop Eugene Koorts picked and drove for a try in the 28th minute, bringing scores to 28-12 following an unsuccessful conversion.

Successive yellow cards to Ipswich Grammar, dealt to centre Zac Teevan (shoulder charge) and fullback Callum Hicks (slowing down the ball on the goal-line) invited two scores from Terrace and a reply from Ipswich.

GT v IGS Terrace Ipswich 2016

Terrace celebrate Will Eadie’s try (Carter Douglas Photography)

Terrace took immediate advantage of the overlap in the 41st minute, swinging wide to Eadie, who slipped two defenders before linking with fullback Byron Ralston to score.

Six minutes later, Harry Wilson charged through a gap on the right wing and offloaded for Eadie, crossing untouched for a try.

The send-off also galvanised Ipswich to reply, shutting down a Terracian attempt to run out of the 22 and countering through Ratu Niumataiwalu to score his second.

Ahead 37-17, Terrace continued to twist the screws in the match.

Captain Bailey Ralston turned over an Ipswich ruck on the 22m, passing wide to Wilson who unleashed a second spectacular offload to unlock reserve winger Johnson Oyelodi.

Lock Joseph Faulalo powered over the line in the 67th minute to score Ipswich’s fourth try, in consolation.

Gregory Terrace 44 (Tries: Jordan Rogers, Isaac Lucas (2), Cam Howard, Will Eadie, Byron Ralston, Johnson Oyelodi,     Conv: Sam Kirk  3/7   Penalty: 1/1) defeated Ipswich Grammar School 26 (Tries: Ratu Niumataiwalu (2), Eugene Koorts, Joseph Faulalo   Conv: Cooper Whiteside  3/4)


Brisbane State High School 38 defeated Toowoomba Grammar School 26

Fraser Barton, writing for www.RedsRugby.com.au. Original link: http://bit.ly/2aI3hCQ

State High v Toowoomba

Image courtesy of QRU Media Unit

Brisbane State High School made it two from two to start the season, taking down Toowoomba Grammar School 38-26 in Round 3 of the GPS Rugby season.

In a clinical display, it was the sheer tenacity and discipline of the BSHS XV that got the upper hand against a strong Toowoomba outfit, as the visitors came up just short in the dying stages of the match.

State High’s elusive fullback Murray Taulagi got his side on the board three minutes in, scoring right next to the posts after stepping through the Toowoomba defensive line. The Queensland representative converted his own try, as the home side began with a bang 7-0.

BSHS were back on the attack from the restart, with scrumhalf, Neal McNamara orchestrating his team around the paddock, picking holes in the visitor’s defensive line for his forwards to exploit.

However, it was TGS which hit back after a great break from inside centre, Kye Oates. Toowoomba earned a lineout from the resulting play and their first real set piece attacking opportunity. The visitors used their rolling maul to find a gaping hole on the blindside for prop Flynn Noon to crash over.

Oates’ sideline conversion was successful, and just like that the score was levelled up at seven a piece.

The home side then hit back immediately, after some sloppy possession by Toowoomba saw them knock the ball on 15 metres from their line. From the resulting scrum, the State High forwards slowly edged towards the line, before towering Number eight Patrick Tafa reached out to score. Taulagi couldn’t convert, seeing BSHS lead 12-7 after 15 minutes.

The remainder of the half saw Toowoomba pile on the pressure, however they were unable to come up with any points due to some costly handling errors deep in State High’s half. Entering the halftime break, the score was 12-7 in favour of the hosts.

State High started the second half much like the first, causing mayhem around Grammar’s play of the ball.  A knock-on from the restart gave the home side a scrum 30 metres out, which Number eight Tafa made the most of with a great run off the back.

A quick recycle by blindside flanker, Josh Fenner saw the huge back rower dive over next to the posts. Taulagi added the conversion from in front, taking his side to a 19-7 lead.

The visiting side again hit back immediately, through hooker Matthew Faessler. After phase after phase attacking the State High line, the defence finally cracked when the stocky hooker crashed over in the left corner. The try was a long time coming for the visitors, as errors in the final third had cost them dearly until that point. Oates was unable to convert, as his side trailed by only seven points, 19-12.

A monstrous tackle off the restart by Antonio Pouhila forced a knock on, earning State High possession and the scrum feed. Flyhalf Isaac Crone orchestrated arguably the try of the match, as he put Jordan Petaia through a huge hole in the defensive line. The winger blitzed the defence with his speed and stepping, swan diving in the corner to the jubilation of the crowd.

The conversion was just wide of the posts, as the momentum shifted in the match once again, 24-12.

Five minutes later State High were in again, as the team went 60 metres to score from within their own half. Every single player was involved in the build up to the try, as they stretched Toowoomba left, then right, offloading in their tackles and gaining good metres. It was lock Victor Tualima who was the beneficiary of all the hard work, dotting down for his side’s fifth try. Taulagi kicked his third conversion, extending the lead to 31-12.

With just over 10 minutes to play the visitors hit back with tries to Harry Leerentveld and Lachlan Sperling, narrowing State High’s lead to just five points.

Just as it seemed Toowoomba were about to flip the result on its head and spring a memorable comeback, man of the match Joshua Fenner bagged his second of the day for the home side to seal a memorable victory 38-26.

Brisbane State High School head coach Sione Fukofuka said after the match, “We are pleased with the result, Toowoomba are a very well coached team and it was always going to be a tough game.

“Our scrambling defence and second efforts in the tackles were great. Hopefully we can continue with that in our next match against Churchie.”

Brisbane State High School 38 (Joshua Fenner 2, Murray Taulagi 1, Jordan Petaia, Victor Tualima 1, Murray Taulagi 4 conversions) def Toowoomba Grammar School 26 (Flynn Noon 1, Matthew Faessler 1, Harry Leerentveld 1, Lachlan Sperling 1, Kye Oates 3 conversions)


Churchie 27 defeated Brisbane Grammar School 20


Nic is a freelance journalist who first tried his hand writing for Green & Gold Rugby as a schoolboy. Five years on, Nic is our resident expert on Brisbane’s local rugby scene not named RugbyReg. In April 2018 Nic releases his first book, the official biography of Waisale Serevi entitled 'Waisale Serevi: The King of Sevens'.

More in QLD GPS