Right, I’ve got f*ck all time, waiting for a boarding call in an airport lounge, so here goes.
Really, we should feel pretty confident about this one. The Chiefs have had a shocking run all year, and have been leaking points at home. They’re missing key players and a traditional tight Tahs gameplan, should starve them of the pill through the guts and then give them more than they fancy out wide to finish. Fat Cat and Horney back in the team – a potential bonus point beckons.
But does anyone feel that confident?
For example, is a crunch game like this one where you want to see the key inside back combinations go through a random rotation? Instead of steady eddy ‘Gahu, Sookface kick-athon comes into 10, ready to stick some midfield roosts down the throat of one of the classic counter-attacking teams. Does anyone expect Horne’s hammy to hold out, not that he’ll get any ball from his inside man, and we all saw how uninspiring the pack was as it got owned by the Clan last week.
I’m saying the Tahs are going to do it, but nothing can underwhelm me with this team at the moment.
Gagger says: Tahs by 5
15. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
6. Patrick McCutcheon (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts) / Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Chris Thomson (Warringah)
19. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
22. Sosene Anesi (Eastern Suburbs)
Chiefs: Tim Nanai-Williams, Dwayne Sweeney, Richard Kahui, Jackson Willison, Jason Hona, Callum Bruce, Junior Poluleuligaga, Colin Bourke, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam (captain), Kevin O’Neill, Craig Clarke, Nathan White, Hika Elliot, Sona Taumalolo. Reserves: Aled de Malmanche, Ben Afeaki, Culum Retallick, Luke Braid, Brendon Leonard, Phil Burleigh, Save Tokula.