• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Most of the guys we are talking about would be eligible under the Giteau Law?

This is just coaches not selecting them isn't it? Because they only get them for a couple of days before each game and then they leave in between games
It's a Gordian knot isn't it? If we pick them it is hard to integrate them into the current systems if we don't we have a weaker team. Maybe Schmidt will find a way around it but it's not too obvious atm.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
It's a Gordian knot isn't it? If we pick them it is hard to integrate them into the current systems if we don't we have a weaker team. Maybe Schmidt will find a way around it but it's not too obvious atm.
Is there anything in Schmidt's system that a good rugby pro wouldn't be able to slot straight in to?

Not on evidence so far

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
So, let's start now? Clearly current system isn't working. All our PONI are in Japan or France, that's not too complicated.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Most of the guys we are talking about would be eligible under the Giteau Law?

This is just coaches not selecting them isn't it? Because they only get them for a couple of days before each game and then they leave in between games
Yes its definitely systemic. We don't have the cash to keep them local and the ability to keep selecting a core group of players is severely limited once one or more of them goes offshore - particularly if they go to France.

I wonder if you could continue to offer an RA top-up to incentivise players only going to Japan rather than Europe (which makes them more or less useless to us IMO).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Springbok players make it work

They're utilising a lot more players without being forced to and for a substantial amount of their games, the distances to travel are a lot shorter with far fewer time zones crossed.

I think RA absolutely needs to embrace selecting more overseas based players more often but they also need to understand what works in terms of number of players, which players and how frequently.

For instance I don't think it is viable long term for (let's say) Will Skelton to fly from France to Sydney on Sunday 4 August, train Tuesday/Thursday/Friday, play a test match on Saturday 10 August, train the next week then play on Saturday 17 August, fly back to France then a week later fly from France to Argentina, train Tuesday/Thursday/Friday, play a test Saturday etc.

Does that player fly back with a clear signal that they aren't playing that first test but will definitely play the second when they've had a better build up?

It definitely seems that the best way to deal with this is to utilise it across more players but less frequently on a per player basis than is possible so the travel, workload and disruption is managed.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
They're utilising a lot more players without being forced to and for a substantial amount of their games, the distances to travel are a lot shorter with far fewer time zones crossed.

I think RA absolutely needs to embrace selecting more overseas based players more often but they also need to understand what works in terms of number of players, which players and how frequently.

For instance I don't think it is viable long term for (let's say) Will Skelton to fly from France to Sydney on Sunday 4 August, train Tuesday/Thursday/Friday, play a test match on Saturday 10 August, train the next week then play on Saturday 17 August, fly back to France then a week later fly from France to Argentina, train Tuesday/Thursday/Friday, play a test Saturday etc.

Does that player fly back with a clear signal that they aren't playing that first test but will definitely play the second when they've had a better build up?

It definitely seems that the best way to deal with this is to utilise it across more players but less frequently on a per player basis than is possible so the travel, workload and disruption is managed.
Bloody hard to build a team on that though BH.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is there anything in Schmidt's system that a good rugby pro wouldn't be able to slot straight in to?

Not on evidence so far
Strewth, Well it seems to be beyond our current playing group. Last week they were all bunched up at times with zero organisation that I could see.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The least complicated part would be dragging the 2024 departing players - Holloway, Swinton, Kemeny, Hanigan, Perese, Rodda etc

Injury aside, there's nothing stopping Schmidt from selecting any of them right now. It doesn't appear that Schmidt wants them though
I think it'll be different once he has a settled team, but the intent really appears to be building around those guys properly available long term.

It'd probably be slightly different if Tupou, Bell or Valetini were departing - they're always going to feature so you'd pick them whenever you can and build them into the team wherever they are, but the departing players this year don't really offer more than the ones staying.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe he wants to recreate Ireland and build on what he has. I agree though it is very odd to ignore them. Marky is another unless he's been released to go to NRL.
You are a little outdated
d1rmkhX.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bloody hard to build a team on that though BH.

I think we need to move past this concept that we are trying to arrive at a settled team that is going to be our long term team. That is particularly hard when we clearly have some superior players who aren't available all the time.

I think you want as many good players involved as possible in whatever capacity that is reasonable. The aim is to pick the best side available each any every time.

If you could pencil in Will Skelton, Scott Sio and whoever else to play 6-8 tests each year then I would do that. They're not always available but they are available often enough that they are still regular members of the group.

I don't think you can look at our current squad and suggest that all these guys need is more time together. There are clearly a substantial number of players who aren't about to become superstars. No offence to the recent debutants but there's every chance that once Fraser McReight returns, Tizzano and Reimer never play another test. I think it's a fool's errand to think that the guys you have right now are all you need and you just need to put more time into them.