• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
They are only not available if RA/Schmidt choose for them not to be.

Just about all the players we are talking about would have 5 season of Australian rugby. Eligible under current Giteau law
Are we sure these overseas guys actually want to play for Australia that badly?

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
This whole thread proves the bloody difficult job Schmidt has to bring these guys up to a reasonable level. The other complication is that as the guys improve the offers from Europe and Japan (+NRL) will just increase.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
By geez Rassie has certainly made a satement with this team. More or less f*** the RC I aiming for WC in 4 years, personally I dislike it strongly.
Also would add Wallabies need to win this for their own confidence? While not liking what Rassie is doing I also think he is best coach in rugby at moment, so we have to suck it up.
Because he’s smart .. He realises the only thing that really matters in modern test rugby is WC …

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we sure these overseas guys actually want to play for Australia that badly?

I don't know but I also think we need to treat it differently to local players.

You are upending their lives getting them to travel across the world for two weeks at a time. You have to plan ahead and consider their schedule and make it clear when you want them and what for.

I don't think it works for them to just find out whether or not they'll be involved when the squad is announced.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because he’s smart .. He realises the only thing that really matters in modern test rugby is WC …

He also has the luxury of really good depth.

I also think it's part of managing so many foreign based players. He can't just select a squad of 34 and keep them together for the whole Rugby Championship.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't know but I also think we need to treat it differently to local players.

You are upending their lives getting them to travel across the world for two weeks at a time. You have to plan ahead and consider their schedule and make it clear when you want them and what for.

I don't think it works for them to just find out whether or not they'll be involved when the squad is announced.
The reason I ask is that I've never heard an overseas Springbok be "50-50" about joining the team due to his club commitments. They prioritize the Springbok jersey over everything, whereas it feels our guys aren't really bothered either way

And there's no point bringing them in unless they are desperate to be there

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
The reason I ask is that I've never heard an overseas Springbok be "50-50" about joining the team due to his club commitments. They prioritize the Springbok jersey over everything, whereas it feels our guys aren't really bothered either way

And there's no point bringing them in unless they are desperate to be there
Sixteen South African players missed the Springbok v Wales test last year in June 2024, including their captain Kolisi due to their club commitments.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
This want the player's choice though
I see what you are saying here, but I think it's just a function of how few South Africans are playing in France, at least compared to the options Australia have.

I think I'm right in saying that there is no-one in the SA squad (now that Kolhisi has left racing) that played Top 14 finals

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
Doran is reporting some changes

Bell, Uru, White, Koroibete to start

Jorgenson in the team

I'll laugh if its a bit off again to flush out the source

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
So the team would be

1 Bell
2 Nassar
3 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa)
4 Blyth
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Valetini?
7 Tizzano?
8 Wilson?
9 White
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Wright

16 ??
17 Slipper/Kailea?
18 Nongorr?
19 Uru
20 ??
21 Mcdermott
22 Lynagh
23 Jorgensen

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Obviously some forced changes, but seems to me Schmidt is (understandably) still experimenting a bit to land on his preferred side (assuming Doran's on the money). I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same against Los Pumas as well, with the Bled being the ultimate goal.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
He also has the luxury of really good depth.

I also think it's part of managing so many foreign based players. He can't just select a squad of 34 and keep them together for the whole Rugby Championship.
Like I said that’s the future of rugby …with club competitions in Europe attracting so many players, youre only going to have ALL your top players realistically for the rwc , managing the depth and blooding new players will be key in other test matches .

Last edited: