• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s not a bad thing to have a change in the halves. Both Gordon and Lolesio were completely overwhelmed last week. White is a bit hit or miss though. Hope this week is a hit. Good to see Bell back. Give him 40 and replace with Kailea or Slipper.
With the Boks starting a lot of new players at least we should have a chance to actually get into our own patterns of play early.
That SA bench though…….

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It'll be interesting to see how much we can play our game this weekend, given that the forecast over here is atrocious. It could be a night to keep things a bit tight.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
I think we do too. I think it's hard to go wrong if your aim is to select the best team available each and every game though (and availability includes overseas players but with an understanding that they can't play every game). Trying to predict who are going to be your best players in 2 years' time is a fool's errand. Picking your best team right now is far more likely to give you the best approximation of what that team is.

I would assume a large amount of the Springboks core of overseas based players have a pretty clear idea of when and where they will be involved and playing for the Springboks at the start of the season.
From memory Eddie’s first Test in SA had QC (Quade Cooper), Skelton and Marika at least. We were flogged. I don’t buy that these overseas guys will help us that much when parachuted in with minimal assimilation with the main squad. If their heart is not totally wanting to bust their gut to play for the Wallabies we dont need them. If though they talk with Rugby Australia about their desire to still represent their country and taking the finanancial opportunity overseas but work it into their contract that this can happen for x amount of Tests a year then that is different. I guess that must be made clear to both Rugby Australia and their overseas employer before striking a contract? South Africa seemed to have made this happen.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
The reason I ask is that I've never heard an overseas Springbok be "50-50" about joining the team due to his club commitments. They prioritize the Springbok jersey over everything, whereas it feels our guys aren't really bothered either way

And there's no point bringing them in unless they are desperate to be there
Tom Thumb. Agree totally with this. Well it definitely seems that way.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Because he’s smart .. He realises the only thing that really matters in modern test rugby is WC …

How did that work out for Rennie? Seemed fine until... Italy.

AND in this cycle we also have BIL. WC is definitely an exposition of great importance, but for a team struggling to hold off 2nd tier status we have plenty that matters in order to ensure that the next RWC matters at all.

dru

David Wilson (68)
There has been considerable dicussion around "radical" or out of position selections to face the Bokke. Some saying it's necessary others that it is stupid. I would think that for a settled, mature team, some rearrangement, possibly even with out of position selections - is justifiable against a team like the Boks. More starch in the centres, a defending 10 not a creative one, less immobile locks in the back row, selecting a hooker for on the field first and throwing second, etc.

Think of how Link changed the Reds game plan against the Africans in (I think) 2011.

The Wallabies are not a settled, mature team. Schmidt has heaps to do in order to get there. A base needs to be set before you experiment. Now it's possible that injuries and other non-game matters may force selection changes that might in turn have the selections lean on some interesting one-off changes.

I think Schmidt should hold his confidence and continue the generic program. Stay the course at this stage.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a shame if that's the case. The quicker the new comp starts the better if that's the case.

I'm not really sure it's reasonable to suggest that the number one ranked side in the world only cares about the RWC.

If they lose this week then sure, criticize Rassie for making so many changes but they are starting heavy favourites and it would be a big surprise if they don't win after the difference between the sides last week.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
There has been considerable dicussion around "radical" or out of position selections to face the Bokke. Some saying it's necessary others that it is stupid. I would thin that for a settled, mature team, some rearrangement, possibly even with out of position selections - is justifiable against a team like the Boks. More starch in the centres, a defending 10 not a creative one, less imobile locks in the back row, selecting a hooker for on the field first and throwing second, etc.

Think of how Link changed the Reds game plan against the Africans in (I think) 2011.

The Wallabies are not a settled, mature team. Schmidt has heaps to do in order to get there. A base needs to be set before you experiment. Now it's possible that injuries and other non-game matters may force selection changes that might in turn have the selections lean on some interesting one-off changes.

I think Schmidt should hold his confidence and continue the generic program. Stay the course at this stage.
A ‘defending 10 not a creative one’ … how do you score tries? 10’s aren’t in the team to defend solely. QC (Quade Cooper) was pretty handy but not a noted defender by any means.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
A ‘defending 10 not a creative one’ … how do you score tries? 10’s aren’t in the team to defend solely. QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) was pretty handy but not a noted defender by any means.
Not only did Quade have the best pass of any 10 we've had for many years, he also had the best kick.

The change in tactics was how much he kicked it

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Appears the article has been edited to say that - initially it implied he was dropped on form

Two things can be right at once, any 9 will struggle with his pack getting mullered and you can get a knock while being mullered

Actually "his much-improved kicking game" is his kicking game, give him time and space and it works, but off the back foot under pressure, with a less effective chase, it will always be weaker

The challenge this week is that White usually needs more time and space and the Boks will still be trying to rampage again

The decision to start White comes with Gordon unavailable. It’s believed the NSW halfback copped a knock during the game.

After being looked over by Eddie Jones last year, Gordon had excelled in the No.9 jersey during the opening two Tests of the year where his kicking and service was first-class.

But behind a beaten forward pack, Gordon struggled in the Rugby Championship opener where his much-improved kicking game failed to hit the mark.

dru

David Wilson (68)
A ‘defending 10 not a creative one’ … how do you score tries? 10’s aren’t in the team to defend solely. QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) was pretty handy but not a noted defender by any means.

Strange comment in a game necessarily dominated by forwards. Two defending 10s come to mind - To'omua at the Brumbies/Wallabies and Stewart at the Reds prior to shifting west. Plenty of tries scored in teams with both of these guys in that role. If you hadn't noticed, a lot of what is happening right now is playing from 9 and those "creative 10s" have few touches.

It is moot though. What I was saying is that making radical selection changes should not happen before a team becomes experienced and mature, which the Wallabies are not. (Barring forced changes pushing things enough to opt for something experimental.)

Rugby Head

Billy Sheehan (19)
Let's just hope we can get a commanding lead in the first half. Think it's all down hill from there considering the bench the Boks have.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We aren't in a world where we can carry bad defenders, we are too shit to hide them

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I think we are in the exact opposite end of the spectrum; a 10 that can tackle is a luxury, we just need one who can somewhat pass, run and kick.

Bigboppa2

Peter Burge (5)
I think we are in the exact opposite end of the spectrum; a 10 that can tackle is a luxury, we just need one who can somewhat pass, run and kick.
That would be nice. Lynagh leads the team well and gives the direction you get from the likes of Pollard but lacks spark and needs to play more of what's infront of him.

Cheers

-BP