• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
This is based on nothing but I suspect that Laurie Fisher is not helping the cause. This is based on the fact that Schmidt doesn't know these players at an international level and may be forced to take advice from Fisher and cover the same ground as Rennie.
He can takes advice from anyone. He followed the Super Rugby season closely and he's a professional. The main problem is the pool of players, he isn't a magician. He works with what he has

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s going to take a bit of time to get to place where those OS players are able to slip in and out of the squad as it is with this SA side. Schmidt has said as much and that it’s unlikely that he will know his best side until after the EOYT. We have the BILs next year and a World Cup a few years after that.
One would think that we will move to a situation where the coach will have more leeway than the current Giteau setup and be able to bring in who he wants/needs at anytime. This of course dependent on injury, availability, test windows etc. We are all jumping up and down calling for him to bring in this and that player when he is just getting to know his initial group and mould them into his playing style. I am sure we will see a few more for the Argie and AB games and even more(if needed) on the EOYT.
Look where the Boks are. They could almost pick as good a side from players in SA or bring in half a starting side when needed or wanted from OS. Hopefully we will get into a similar space down the road.
Then there is Los Pumas. We turfed them out of Super Rugby and they now pick predominantly from OS. They have no choice but seem to be bouncing back pretty well.
Each national setup needs to find the right balance for them.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we need to move past this concept that we are trying to arrive at a settled team that is going to be our long term team. That is particularly hard when we clearly have some superior players who aren't available all the time.

I think you want as many good players involved as possible in whatever capacity that is reasonable. The aim is to pick the best side available each any every time.

If you could pencil in Will Skelton, Scott Sio and whoever else to play 6-8 tests each year then I would do that. They're not always available but they are available often enough that they are still regular members of the group.

I don't think you can look at our current squad and suggest that all these guys need is more time together. There are clearly a substantial number of players who aren't about to become superstars. No offence to the recent debutants but there's every chance that once Fraser McReight returns, Tizzano and Reimer never play another test. I think it's a fool's errand to think that the guys you have right now are all you need and you just need to put more time into them.
No, but just the same we shouldn't just assume these players wont develop into much better players. We are only 4 games in to a new era. I stand by the belief that we still produce world class rugby players, and the fact that so many of them become that while overseas is evidence we may give up on some guys too early or we haven't had good enough coaches

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No, but just the same we shouldn't just assume these players wont develop into much better players. We are only 4 games in to a new era. I stand by the belief that we still produce world class rugby players, and the fact that so many of them become that while overseas is evidence we may give up on some guys too early or we haven't had good enough coaches
Likely off topic (apologies) but maybe we should consider 1 (or 2) OZ Teams based in Europe for the European URC? Too expensive I imagine?

SA have bolstered that competition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think we do too. I think it's hard to go wrong if your aim is to select the best team available each and every game though (and availability includes overseas players but with an understanding that they can't play every game). Trying to predict who are going to be your best players in 2 years' time is a fool's errand. Picking your best team right now is far more likely to give you the best approximation of what that team is.

I would assume a large amount of the Springboks core of overseas based players have a pretty clear idea of when and where they will be involved and playing for the Springboks at the start of the season.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
So why doesn't our national coach select any of these world-class rugby players for the national team?

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we do too. I think it's hard to go wrong if your aim is to select the best team available each and every game though (and availability includes overseas players but with an understanding that they can't play every game). Trying to predict who are going to be your best players in 2 years' time is a fool's errand. Picking your best team right now is far more likely to give you the best approximation of what that team is.

I would assume a large amount of the Springboks core of overseas based players have a pretty clear idea of when and where they will be involved and playing for the Springboks at the start of the season.
Agreed. They seem to be a fair bit more committed to representing their nation than our players do to be honest as well which makes it far easier for them to plan around overseas players

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
So why doesn't our national coach select any of these world-class rugby players for the national team?
Due to restrictions put on him by Peter Horne and co. and the restrictions put on him by the top 14 and international windows etc. A detailed coach like Schmidt would want time with guys on the training field to build cohesion, that isn't possible with these guys living on the other side of the world

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Who played 5 on the weekend.

But spent most of the game in the tram tracks spreading the attack, just like he would if he was wearing 7, but playing as a 6.
Yes, he was a brilliant young lock when he first came through

He could get away with being a bit looser due to the complete dominance they had up front

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s going to take a bit of time to get to place where those OS players are able to slip in and out of the squad as it is with this SA side. Schmidt has said as much and that it’s unlikely that he will know his best side until after the EOYT. We have the BILs next year and a World Cup a few years after that.
One would think that we will move to a situation where the coach will have more leeway than the current Giteau setup and be able to bring in who he wants/needs at anytime. This of course dependent on injury, availability, test windows etc. We are all jumping up and down calling for him to bring in this and that player when he is just getting to know his initial group and mould them into his playing style. I am sure we will see a few more for the Argie and AB games and even more(if needed) on the EOYT.
Look where the Boks are. They could almost pick as good a side from players in SA or bring in half a starting side when needed or wanted from OS. Hopefully we will get into a similar space down the road.
Then there is Los Pumas. We turfed them out of Super Rugby and they now pick predominantly from OS. They have no choice but seem to be bouncing back pretty well.
Each national setup needs to find the right balance for them.
Agree with this Joe with a proviso that, if there are changes to coaches it is done seamlessly so that OS players don't turn up and all the systems they are used to have disappeared. ie Pissing on a fench.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
First step, gain some meters after contact. That would be great. It was embarrasing last saturday
The bok chop tackling was super effective, especially from the front rowers. Valetini, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) etc were targeted and shut down very effectively. Playing with more depth (not Lolesio's strong point) would certainly help and create more space behind the D line.

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
The least complicated part would be dragging in the 2024 departing players - Holloway, Swinton, Kemeny, Hanigan, Perese, Rodda etc

Injury aside, there's nothing stopping Schmidt from selecting any of them right now. It doesn't appear that Schmidt wants them though
Doesnt picking them just push the problem into next year against the Lions?

I kinda get where Joe is coming from. If the players arent going to be available for the biggest rugby event outside a world cup, why would he try and build around them now.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Doesnt picking them just push the problem into next year against the Lions?

I kinda get where Joe is coming from. If the players arent going to be available for the biggest rugby event outside a world cup, why would he try and build around them now.
They are only not available if RA/Schmidt choose for them not to be.

Just about all the players we are talking about would have 5 season of Australian rugby. Eligible under current Giteau law