• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Can't see the Boks bothering to wheel out the A-grade thoroughbreds again next weekend in Perth for that lot.

Hardly worth the risk and they won't learn anything more about themselves.

I'm guessing we'll see a lot of B-team work experience lads.
jpoliticiansdogs(1).jpg

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
By geez Rassie has certainly made a satement with this team. More or less f*** the RC I aiming for WC in 4 years, personally I dislike it strongly.
Also would add Wallabies need to win this for their own confidence? While not liking what Rassie is doing I also think he is best coach in rugby at moment, so we have to suck it up.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
By geez Rassie has certainly made a satement with this team. More or less f*** the RC I aiming for WC in 4 years, personally I dislike it strongly.
Also would add Wallabies need to win this for their own confidence? While not liking what Rassie is doing I also think he is best coach in rugby at moment, so we have to suck it up.
South Africa not running out their best team against us here in Australia is probably the only thing giving us any hope over the last few years.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Coleman was picked pretty consistently for four years and then he went overseas to London Irish who offered him one of the largest contracts in World Rugby.

I'm not really sure what the miss was by Rugby Australia.
Not a miss by RA, specifically. Just a general issue we have with not being able to consistently pick a core of players over a longer period of time.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
And they were good. I'd have them starting today. As Derpus says, we have a new set of players every two years and can't develop them long term.
They were decent. But we still lost a ton of games with them playing, they were hardly world beaters. The way we talk about old players you’d think we would have actually been good for the last 10 years

Frost has more talent than both, Salakaia-Loto, Williams, Swain, Canham etc all good players

It’s on the players to earn the jersey long term, that’s the issue

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Boks have named their B team but will still be expected to win by plenty
How the wallabies have fallen to a tier 2 nation

Well to be fair to Schidt and the squad this B team the Boks have named has more caps on its bench that we had in our entire starting 15 last week. In fact, the starting team they have named this week has about the same amount of caps as the starting team we named last week. That is just the reality of where our team is at in its development compared to this Boks squad. People probably need to remember that.

Honestly this week's team is probably a slightly fairer contest given that both teams are now missing a bunch of their first choice players, but the Boks still have the huge advantage of a bench stacked with experience.

We just hugely lack cohesion and experience at the moment and the next 12 months is going to be a difficult road.

Interestingly I noticed that last weeks Boks team had 14 players over 30 years old. Most of those players wont be at the next world cup meaning they are themselves poised to lose a shit tonne of experience.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
So much debate over the #7 but I am more worried about the second row. Looks like it is highly likely to be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Blythe, not very inspiring especially with that they are up against.
Would much rather Skelton, Rory Arnold, Phillip, Swain, even Neville than Blythe
I agree, the row is important if we want a stronger scrum and getting over the Ad line. As I said earlier as Skelton is not available then Swain could bring some stiffening to the forwards. I was a bit surprised that Schmidt didn't bring him in. We seem to have the idea that any aggression is too much aggression, Swinton and Swain seem to have suffered for it.

Linerunner2023

Darby Loudon (17)
This boks team is probably

Well to be fair to Schidt and the squad this B team the Boks have named has more caps on its bench that we had in our entire starting 15 last week. In fact, the starting team they have named this week has about the same amount of caps as the starting team we named last week. That is just the reality of where our team is at in its development compared to this Boks squad. People probably need to remember that.

Honestly this week's team is probably a slightly fairer contest given that both teams are now missing a bunch of their first choice players, but the Boks still have the huge advantage of a bench stacked with experience.

We just hugely lack cohesion and experience at the moment and the next 12 months is going to be a difficult road.

Interestingly I noticed that last weeks Boks team had 14 players over 30 years old. Most of those players wont be at the next world cup meaning they are themselves poised to lose a shit tonne of experience.
Yes and this is what we lacked in RWC experience dropping all the older guys
Boks had 18 over 30 in their RWC squad and NZ had 12
Don’t worry boks have plenty of up and comers and plenty of depth so they will be fine

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
And they were good. I'd have them starting today. As Derpus says, we have a new set of players every two years and can't develop them long term.
This is the result of RA not facing the reality that we have a smaller group to pick from and even they are being bought by a large group of clubs that offer more than we do. Ditch the Gitau Law now!
We are in the era of soccer like....

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is based on nothing but I suspect that Laurie Fisher is not helping the cause. This is based on the fact that Schmidt doesn't know these players at an international level and may be forced to take advice from Fisher and cover the same ground as Rennie.
As much as he is lauded as a fine coach, if he is advising Schmidt who to bring in and who not then Canham et al is not a great call.
BTW Canham is talented and will be good but not this year.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I mean... you just have to have watched a single game with PSdT playing to know he isn't an openside flanker...

Definitely in with a shout for best forward in the world though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Coleman was picked pretty consistently for four years and then he went overseas to London Irish who offered him one of the largest contracts in World Rugby.

I'm not really sure what the miss was by Rugby Australia.
Saying "miss" I'm not saying we just didn't pick up on the talent but should I should have said "loss"

Didn't LI go hard for a couple years there with Kiss and recruiting. Hasn't worked out well for them at all.