• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
View attachment 20292
View attachment 20293
The stats for Paisami (and others) from the weekend. By no means a great game but I’m struggling to work out how in a game were our forwards got towelled and our halves were rubbish and he at least coverred the basics of his job - probably better than anyone else (against a very low bar) he is a focus point for some on here.

Wallabies had plenty of issues on the weekend. I would have thought Paisami was a long way down the list.
Also interesting that I’m sure I’ve read a bunch of comments on here about Wilson’s defence but he missed 1 from 14 attempts. Carlo Tizzano made 19 without a miss.

Yeah - I get that stats don’t tell the full story, but I think some are just seeing what they want to see.

Salakai-Loto had a shocker though.

My impression is that early on why tried to fight fire with fire and use aggressive defence to rattle SA. And I did think there were some positives out of it early but, ultimately we couldn’t maintain it and we didn’t create any pressure at all with the ball. I’m hoping (and assuming) we’ll stick with it as it will get better with time and cohesion (but also need big improvement in the set peice).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Saturday will be another learning experience no doubt. Hopefully we can put out a better performance, shore up our set piece and impose our attack on the Boks a little more. It is part of the process. With a few more first line players available hopefully we can give Argentina and the ABs a good shake.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Also interesting that I’m sure I’ve read a bunch of comments on here about Wilson’s defence but he missed 1 from 14 attempts. Carlo Tizzano made 19 without a miss.

Yeah - I get that stats don’t tell the full story, but I think some are just seeing what they want to see.

Salakai-Loto had a shocker though.
I criticized one aspect of Wilson's defence (an aspect that has been a consistent issue for him for his entire career).

On the try line opposition teams absolutely target him, and it paid off again for South Africa, as it has for plenty of Super Rugby teams all year (and in previous years)

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is being expected to defend in the centres. Again, this has been an issue for him his entire career, and probably why he's playing more lock than 6 these days. He's not quick enough laterally to stop speedy players out in the open. He was targeted by SA, and it paid off for them there too.

Under our current system we need forwards to defend our there. They are going to be the weak link most of the time

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I criticized one aspect of Wilson's defence (an aspect that has been a consistent issue for him for his entire career).

On the try line opposition teams absolutely target him, and it paid off again for South Africa, as it has for plenty of Super Rugby teams all year (and in previous years)

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is being expected to defend in the centres. Again, this has been an issue for him his entire career, and probably why he's playing more lock than 6 these days. He's not quick enough laterally to stop speedy players out in the open. He was targeted by SA, and it paid off for them there too.

Under our current system we need forwards to defend our there. They are going to be the weak link most of the time
Thanks. Very interesting and I will watch out for this with Wilson on Saturday.

Equalizer

Trevor Allan (34)
This argument will be cleared up by late Saturday night.

Just added bolded, this seems a bit contradictory.
Tizzano was.the Wallabies leading tackler with 19 and only 1 miss. He can grow into the role one, maybe add a few KG's to his frame.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is being expected to defend in the centres. Again, this has been an issue for him his entire career, and probably why he's playing more lock than 6 these days. He's not quick enough laterally to stop speedy players out in the open. He was targeted by SA, and it paid off for them there too.

My impression was Wilson got squared up by the half but he was on a hiding to nothing. If he didn’t bite the half scored and once he did bite he couldn’t make an effective tackle on the outside.

Haven’t really noticed it as a consistent problem for him - but maybe I just haven’t noticed.

My impression though was there were numerous other posters who have seen the game as evidence Wilson isn’t test material.

Which is the issue when you’ve got baggage going in (which Wilson does) & your team gets pumped then people see it is confirmation. Maybe that’s fair - Wilson certainly didn’t have a belter. I personally think some of the criticism is misplaced. But I guess we’ll see soon enough what Schmidt thinks.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
My impression was Wilson got squared up by the half but he was on a hiding to nothing. If he didn’t bite the half scored and once he did bite he couldn’t make an effective tackle on the outside.

Haven’t really noticed it as a consistent problem for him - but maybe I just haven’t noticed.

My impression though was there were numerous other posters who have seen the game as evidence Wilson isn’t test material.

Which is the issue when you’ve got baggage going in (which Wilson does) & your team gets pumped then people see it is confirmation. Maybe that’s fair - Wilson certainly didn’t have a belter. I personally think some of the criticism is misplaced. But I guess we’ll see soon enough what Schmidt thinks.
Wilson like many of our forwards go better when we play at speed. If the game is a slog, as it might be in Perth due to weather, then he will struggle. In an open fast game, he is OK. Not a world beater but good enough.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Uru played 7 for the Barbarians for a number of games last year and has played 7 for Australia A in the past. I think it makes a lot of sense as he's a bigger body and can do the job against the bigger SA team. He also adds another lineout option. I'd have Tizzano on the bench to come in at the back end of the game, where his energy could lift the team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All the lineups for the '22 matches have McReight, Wilkin, and Callan listed at 7 - I doubt my memory more than I do yours, so it must've been a late change

Having gone back and checked all of the Australia A team lists since 2020 I don't see Uru listed at 7 for any of those games...

But he did play there for the Barbarians last year, which the starting lineup was essentially an Australia A team.

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems like a foolhardy exercise to decide that Tizzano after his debut against the World Champions needs to be replaced by someone who isn't a regular 7 and has only played there against significantly weaker opposition.

Certainly doesn't seem a likely decision to me.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Having gone back and checked all of the Australia A team lists since 2020 I don't see Uru listed at 7 for any of those games...

But he did play there for the Barbarians last year, which the starting lineup was essentially an Australia A team.
My mistake. That is the game in referring to.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
my 2 cents

1. Bell (if he is fit, let him start, go hard and then replace)
2. Faessler
3. Nonggorr
4. Blyth
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Uru
7. Reimer
8. Valetini
9. Gordon (c)
10.Lolesio
11. Koroibete
12. Stewart
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Pollard
17. Kailea
18. AAA
19. Williams
20. Hooper
21. McDermott
22. Lynagh
23. Toole
Donaldson for Lolesio. Him and Stewart had a great partnership at the Force this year. Noah has had his chances.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
He played at 8 vs both Tonga and Portugal I thought - the team lists corroborate this
He played 7 in at least one, maybe more, games on the Aus Baa Baas tour last year, and I posted at the time that I thought he was better than most No 7 performances I'd seen during the year. It would not be the worst option if we're looking to bolster the forwards in this coming test.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I want to see us play fast and hard rugby, if there is too much thinking during the game we come unstuck. At times last week, we looked like Browns cows. I don't think Schmidt will pick Uru, but it might make a difference if he did it.