• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
That is an act of madness and whoever is advising Schmidt about player potential has got this seriously wrong. Swain is a far better lock than Carter any day and Canham is talented but too light for this game. Nongorr should start with Bell and BPA, AAA to the bench. Swain and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) locks (not a huge fan but who else is there?) Uru 7, Wilson 8 Valetini 6.
My understanding is that Carter and Tom Roberston are just holding tackle bags as they are in Perth anyway and are not in consideration for selection. Swain is playing club rugby (in the ACT?) I think. The locks are likely to be 4. Blyth 5.LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 19. Hooper (or another combination of those 3 ).

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Until we get better 9-10s we will struggle
Bell and tupou our only world class props and must be bought in as soon as avaluable
Missing mcreight more then I thought - his value has certainly increased
Need korobete back asap in the back 3
Have not changed in thinking Kerevi and Skelton must be bought back in! Skelton for the scrum while Kerevi will get over the gainline and provide confidence for the 10 like he did for cooper in 2021
Pretty sure Kerevi isn’t fit (and we saw last year that unfit Kerevi is not better than what we have). Skelton isn’t making himself available at least until Argentina.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
When our backrow was completely out muscled and outplayed regardless of the brain-dead media singing Tizzano's praises his effort was in defence and not in the ruck. We need to put out a team that can compete at the breakdown and not give away penalties at scrum time. Valetini looked very quiet in the 1st half but had a good second half, I thought Wilson was average both sides of the half by which time the game was gone.
Mate, you took umbrage at a misinterpreted point about Noah the other day - I believe "Wallabies shouldn't be a training ground" was the quote.

Playing Uru at 7 for the first time ever against the world #1 is exactly that.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
When our backrow was completely out muscled and outplayed regardless of the brain-dead media singing Tizzano's praises his effort was in defence and not in the ruck. We need to put out a team that can compete at the breakdown and not give away penalties at scrum time. Valetini looked very quiet in the 1st half but had a good second half, I thought Wilson was average both sides of the half by which time the game was gone.
The issue was getting over the gain line, no team is going to do well at the breakdown if they cant penetrate the line

Genuinely curious what makes you believe Uru could handle the immense work rate required by a 7? This just feels like what you would do in a videogame

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
My understanding is that Carter and Tom Roberston are just holding tackle bags as they are in Perth anyway and not in consideration for selection. Swain is playing club rugby (in the ACT?) I think. The locks are likely to be 4. Blyth 5.LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 19. Hooper
I think you are right but I ain't happy. Hoping that we start with a front row that won't give away penalties, Nongorr, BPA, Bell

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mate, you took umbrage at a misinterpreted point about Noah the other day - I believe "Wallabies shouldn't be a training ground" was the quote.

Playing Uru at 7 for the first time ever against the world #1 is exactly that.
Hard times call for hard decisions and a backrower playing 7 v 6 0r 8 is hardly equivalent to taking an average 10 with 20 W starts and hoping they improve over the last week.

Equalizer

Trevor Allan (34)
Weather for Saturday is looking rubbish so it's going to be a grind in the forwards which doesn't bode well for the Wallabies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the point of putting Uru to 7 would be to play left and right flankers with both playing a 6 type role. So he wouldn’t be playing open side. Just wearing the 7 jersey.

Unfortunately it would mean a pack where you don’t have any genuine on the ball presence - so you’d have to hope you can get traction from the extra big body in defence and attack.

Personally I think that’s unlikely to succeed but it’s also unlikely that playing Reimer or Tizzano is going to win the game either. Because there are too many other issues that run alongside.

That being the case I’d probably prefer we continue to run a genuine open side - as much as I would love to see Uru get his debut.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
The issue was getting over the gain line, no team is going to do well at the breakdown if they cant penetrate the line

Genuinely curious what makes you believe Uru could handle the immense work rate required by a 7? This just feels like what you would do in a videogame
Agree re the gain line but I ain't talking about that key ingredient, I am talking about winning the breakdown on attack and slowing them on theirs. Tizzano did little in that area compared to McRight and even he would have struggled against a big SA backrow. I am thinking about trying to balance the breakdown battle. As it is, if we put the same BR out there we will get the same result.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's one loss against the best team in the world, surely Schmidt deserves a bit more time before we start the panic selections
33-0 with 5mins to go is not a reason to change things? SA are just guys like any other and if you can put them under pressure anything can happen. I am not sure that Schmidt has had enough time to make judgements about the players, having only watched Super Rugby which is nothing compared to International games.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Agree re the gain line but I ain't talking about that key ingredient, I am talking about winning the breakdown on attack and slowing them on theirs. Tizzano did little in that area compared to McRight and even he would have struggled against a big SA backrow. I am thinking about trying to balance the breakdown battle. As it is, if we put the same BR out there we will get the same result.
I don't think Tizzano did that bad, and if he got to play Wales and Georgia he would have looked pretty good too. Our players always seem to be better when they don't play for some reason

I disagree around the same result. Tactics can be improved, execution certainly can be improved and another week for Joe to bed his system in. Just changing selections every week when you don't win isn't going to solve anything

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
33-0 with 5mins to go is not a reason to change things? SA are just guys like any other and if you can put them under pressure anything can happen. I am not sure that Schmidt has had enough time to make judgements about the players, having only watched Super Rugby which is nothing compared to International games.
It's one game. Look at what South Africa did to NZ at Twickenham last year

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Uru absolutely played 7 for Australia A. I'm not sure if it was last year of late 2022, but he has played there and he played very well.
All the lineups for the '22 matches have McReight, Wilkin, and Callan listed at 7 - I doubt my memory more than I do yours, so it must've been a late change

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think Tizzano did that bad, and if he got to play Wales and Georgia he would have looked pretty good too. Our players always seem to be better when they don't play for some reason

I disagree around the same result. Tactics can be improved, execution certainly can be improved and another week for Joe to bed his system in. Just changing selections every week when you don't win isn't going to solve anything
This argument will be cleared up by late Saturday night.

Just added bolded, this seems a bit contradictory.