• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Whilst I agree in principal, I don't think test matches are where we need to be building the foundations.

The Wallabies are a representative team of our best players. We should be choosing players who can play to a particular style to the best of our ability.

I know what I am saying isn't anything new, but I feel like the mindset that we are building foundations at Wallaby level isn't right. Schmidt should be having all the Super Rugby coaches sitting in at camp and during analysis sessions and going through all the areas our players need to improve to be competitive and let that coaching be done at Super Rugby level. The lack of these foundations down the ladder is the problem.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a bit of chicken before the egg stuff though right? I know I'm not offering up answers here but there seem to be certain players getting picked who clearly aren't up to it skill wise, whether that is a lack of foundational work or a lack of ability to adapt to game plans.

It's probably the main criticism I can see coming through of Schmidt being our head coach is that he likes his sides to play a specific way, but our players might not be ready for that. Do you persist to play a style and structure that might not suit our players, in the hope that with another season or two together it all works? Or do you concede it isn't working and play without a 'style' until we know the lay of the land re our selections.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Phil, you have to do both with this generation of players. You need to build the skills base, which has been neglected and you need them to play a style that you, as a coach believe will win!

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
We played our best team and got beaten by Boks B, it is really that simple, no more excuses and all this bullshit about low bases.

I also said a number of posters referred to our 10 changes to face Georgia as our B Team. Boks made 10 changes last weekend, and using that same logic Boks B thrashed our Top Side, simple maths.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Is Schmidt's ultimate game plan particularly complicated? I must admit that I haven't worked out what he is trying to do other than kick it lots, and play the forward pods in close. The full back seems to be running most of the wider attack.

Any pro should be able to pull that game plan off.

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
Schmidt's gameplan is just not working. I have a feeling it will be close against the Pumas and we will get thrashed by the ABs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still our best team, semantics.

Yes, but there's definitely a quality gap between what our best team could be, and what we have available now missing some key impactful players and going through a rebuild with a squad dominated by youth and inexperience up against the current two time world champions...

I think it would've been pretty spectacular if the Wallabies had won despite the Boks resting so many players, which they have the luxury to do.

Reactions: TSR

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I think it's 12 Wallaby eligible players were part of the French and Japanese semi-finals. That's not nothing, although no props or 10s in that lot

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Whilst I agree in principal, I don't think test matches are where we need to be building the foundations.
I assume that is why there has been a move from a number of ACT players to more Qld players. Because Schmidt has faith in the style and core skills that Les Kiss is putting in place with the Reds and he feels there will be more consistency. Whereas when Rennie & McKellar were there I understand there was a belief that the Brumbies players were playing/training in a style most suited to translation to what they wanted at test level. I’d expect Schmidt is very much communicating with the Super teams but given the relative late appointment I expect if would've been hard for any of the teams to pivot too far this year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is Schmidt's ultimate game plan particularly complicated?
I think he is trying to get them to minimise errors and play a very simple game plan. When they get there he will add layers in, as he has said a few times. I’m guessing he was expecting to lose these two games and he may have been minimising the damage? In Argentina it’s more likely we will be in the race for the chocolates.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Or we can buy into the tinfoil hat theories like a few in the RA ranks that I know who believe Schmidt has no intention of sticking around after the Lions tour and Kiss will be formally brought into the fold post-Super Rugby next year.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I've seen this story before; "Beloved experienced Queensland Reds coach, appointed as Wallabies coach after being lead by a Kiwi losing a British and Irish Lions series".

I did not like it one bit.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
The fact that it is already being so actively discussed in some circles when Schmidt has only coached 5 games does make it tinfoil territory, in my opinion. But yes, you are right, and I know JS and some of his assistants have made the decision not to permanently re-locate to Australia which adds fuel to the fire. Personally, if the results are tracking well, I don't know why someone would walk away from a coaching gig just before a home world cup year.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I thought he specifically requested a two year contract, and plan A is to hand over to an Australian coach and for Schmidt to become an assistant after the Lions series through to the World Cup