• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The assistant referees were from England and Scotland and the foul play review officer was from Wales. Both the referee and TMO were from New Zealand. It was a very visible incident and South Africa remonstrated to some degree after it happened. There was also a stoppage in play at that time so there was no issue around not being able to quickly look at it.

I think it is disingenuous to suggest it would have been treated wildly differently elsewhere. People from that "elsewhere" were part of the decision making process that decided it didn't warrant further action.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I can sympathise with the ref for not taking this further and actually start blowing penalties for medics and runners going onto the field. They would hope warnings would decrease the problem. But if they start actually penalising teams for this, it opens a can of worms which spins the focus of the game away from rugby and onto the acts of the ref v the medical teams. And you are of course then opening yourself up to a scenario where you penalise a medic for being on the field and it turns out their player has a legitimate HIA or something similar which is a bad look.

The game itself needs to make a public address and stance on these situations which would then empower the refs more, but as it stands I can't remember a game, at least recently, where a team was penalised for having those runners on the field and no ref wants to be the first person to start doing it.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Fully agree. I don't think there's a clearcut solution. It does make a case for solely utilising independent medical personnel, however that presents several other challenges and limitations in of itself. I do think there needs to be some stricter delineation between the roles (doctors/physios/trainers/water carriers) and under what circumstances they're allowed to take to the field.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
^ Ditto - I thought it was ludicrous that the ref called out to the linseman - that he didn't want the SA water boys on the field at every single stoppage - that he wanted the game to keep going. But they still kept coming on. I think you can do something about the "water" stops but the medics is harder.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I can sympathise with the ref for not taking this further and actually start blowing penalties for medics and runners going onto the field.

They would hope warnings would decrease the problem.

But if they start actually penalising teams for this, it opens a can of worms which spins the focus of the game away from rugby and onto the acts of the ref vs the medical teams. And you are of course then opening yourself up to a scenario where you penalise a medic for being on the field and it turns out their player has a legitimate HIA or something similar which is a bad look.

The game itself needs to make a public address and stance on these situations which would then empower the refs more, but as it stands I can't remember a game, at least recently, where a team was penalised for having those runners on the field and no ref wants to be the first person to start doing it.
I would take a counter position. It's not too hard.
WR (World Rugby) simply issue a directive that support personnel, other than a designated medical officer, only enter the field of play during a declared injury stoppage. Teams have a designated medical officer who can come on for an injured player in general play, but no water runners. Declare it and enforce it. Free kick against the infringing team.
Similarly, I wish they would get reserve players out of the in goal areas during play. Reserves mobbing players who have just scored is unnecessary, and potentially inflammatory.

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
I would take a counter position. It's not too hard.
WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) simply issue a directive that support personnel, other than a designated medical officer, only enter the field of play during a declared injury stoppage. Teams have a designated medical officer who can come on for an injured player in general play, but no water runners. Declare it and enforce it. Free kick against the infringing team.
Similarly, I wish they would get reserve players out of the in goal areas during play. Reserves mobbing players who have just scored is unnecessary, and potentially inflammatory.
I support the entire post, but particularly emphasise the last sentence. This is starting to filter down through club and junior levels and is a blight on the game.

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
I actually think we have a genuine problem with half backs in Australia, and in some ways the Southern Hemisphere. In the Six Nations, they have proven the position has fundamentally changed from an 'expert passer' and occasional kicker to a player with all of the skills. Imagine anyone in Australia getting picked for our Olympic 7s the way Dupont was. Admittedly he is a generational player, but we should aim to develop players with similar skillsets (with defence and innate game awareness being a strong part of those skills). I can't see a current player over 25 years old in Australia that is close.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The problem with the Wallabies isn't the ref, it's the basics like scrummaging. The Wallaby scrum compare with our CC 1st division.