• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
No that is exactly NOT what I said. Check your vision, I said more running impact.

Harsh on Hooper on that one aswell, give the kid a break.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So you're saying we need a forward that seagulls around rucks waiting for a good time to run and a person who misses tackles and lets in soft trys?

I'd rather a more solid defender and one who can contest the breakdown especially when players are tiring. Gill would be a better option.

Do you actually think Hooper seagulls, misses tackles and lets in soft tries?

Strange.......

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do you actually think Hooper seagulls, misses tackles and lets in soft tries?

Strange...
Absolutley. Check out the two missed tackles in the first 5 minutes against the Blues 2 weeks ago. The 2nd tackle that he missed would have saved a try. It's also not the first time. He is also ranked 2nd in Superugby for back rowers missing tackles with 33 for the season and 10th overall. Yes he misses tackles and lets in soft tries and he seagulls.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutley. Check out the two missed tackles in the first 5 minutes against the Blues 2 weeks ago. The 2nd tackle that he missed would have saved a try. It's also not the first time. He is also ranked 2nd in Superugby for back rowers missing tackles with 33 for the season and 10th overall. Yes he misses tackles and lets in soft tries and he seagulls.

Ok, I'll bite.......

Firstly, this is simply not true.

Aside from being second in the competition for tackles made, Hooper hasn't made that number of missed tackles according to rugby stats.

To have made their top 20 he would needed to have a leat missed 29 tackles, and there are two other backrowers on that list.

Also, I don't think you understand what a seagull is.

A seagull is someone who waits out on the wings waiting for the ball to come to him.

Hooper is the complete opposite.

The guy has a massive workrate that not only sees him top the Australian tally with tackles, but he's only second to Gill on pilfers.

If you want to use one awful team performance and use it to create the norm, how about Pocock's 2 missed tackles against the Brumbies that directly led to tries?

If you think Hooper is a seagull, I'd hate to think what you think of Pocock....... :rolleyes:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FYI.......

Missed tackles for 2012:

1. Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes) 44
1. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 44
3. Francois Hougaard (Bulls) 36
3. Peter Grant (Stormers) 36
5. Elton Jantjies (Lions) 35
5. Josh Strauss (Lions) 35
5. Rob Horne (Waratahs) 35
8. Charl Mcleod (Sharks) 34
9. Andrew Ellis (Crusaders) 32
9. Brett Sheehan (Force) 32
9. Willem Alberts (Sharks) 32
12. Aaron Cruden (Chiefs) 31
12. Faifili Levave (Hurricanes) 31
12. Nick Cummins (Force) 31
12. Sam Carter (Brumbies) 31
12. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs) 31
17. Mark Gerrard (Rebels) 30
17. Willie Le Roux (Cheetahs) 30
19. Franco van der Merwe (Lions) 29
19. Tim Whitehead (Sharks)

Tackles made for 2012:

1. Marcell Coetzee (Sharks) 232
2. Michael Hooper (Brumbies) 230
3. Matt Todd (Crusaders) 229
4. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 215
5. Brodie Retallick (Chiefs) 212
6. Liam Messam (Chiefs) 209
7. Siyamthanda Kolisi (Stormers) 208
8. David Pocock (Force) 206
9. Gareth Delve (Rebels) 187
10. Stephen Moore (Brumbies) 185
11. Adam Thomson (Highlanders) 184
11. Sam Cane (Chiefs) 184
13. George Whitelock (Crusaders) 179
14. Jeremy Thrush (Hurricanes) 177
15. Liam Gill (Reds) 176
16. Derick Minnie (Lions) 169
16. Faifili Levave (Hurricanes) 169
18. Ben Mowen (Brumbies) 167
18. Luke Jones (Rebels) 167
20. Sam Carter (Brumbies) 166

Pilfers:

Most Pilfers
1. Liam Gill (Reds) 15
2. Michael Hooper (Brumbies) 11
3. Coenrad Oosthuizen (Cheetahs) 10
4. David Pocock (Force) 9
5. Derick Minnie (Lions) 8
5. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 8
5. Luke Braid (Blues) 8
8. Andrew Hore (Highlanders) 7
8. Deon Fourie (Stormers) 7
10. Matthew Hodgson (Force) 6
11. Adam Thomson (Highlanders) 5
11. Beau Robinson (Reds) 5
11. Chris Alcock (Waratahs) 5
11. Cobus Grobbelaar (Lions) 5
11. Saia Fainga'a (Reds) 5
11. Scott Fardy (Brumbies) 5
17. Jason Rutledge (Highlanders) 4
17. Karl Lowe (Hurricanes) 4
17. Michael Harris (Reds) 4
17. Tanerau Latimer (Chiefs) 4

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Josh Rakic states the obvious on Barnes vs Cooper at 10, then starts to wander:

Only Kurtley Beale and Adam Ashley-Cooper are certainties in the outside backs, with Mitchell, Turner, Cooper Vuna and Bernard Foley battling for at least one wing spot, while the centre pairing will be decided by who is selected at five-eighth.

Mitchell is an automatic selection if he is actually able to run at full pace.

Turner scrapes in if he is able to run at full pace. Shipperley doesn't kick as much (good and bad) and finds the tryline much more (IIRC, good). But he is a tyro (there you go Canno) and if Turner is actually fit and training well he would not let the wallabies down.

Vuna is Vuna.

Foley is not JOC (James O'Connor), I'd rather he wasn't bounced around backline completely randomly. Of course, Robbie can play him on the wing and fete him as a McCabesque success if he plays at last safely.

Cummins seems to have flown under the Rakic radar, and Ioane is the elephant in the room squashing the "at least".

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rakic makes it sound like Australia's wing stocks are low........ which really shouldn't be the case.......

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Josh Rakic states the obvious on Barnes vs Cooper at 10, then starts to wander:

Foley is not JOC (James O'Connor), I'd rather he wasn't bounced around backline completely randomly. Of course, Robbie can play him on the wing and fete him as a McCabesque success if he plays at last safely.

trying to understand the thought process, Foley is a good 15 and could play that 2nd 15 role/14 (pace would be the concern) that I like to see - if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell or Turner isn't up to it.

I see Cummins as Iaone's back up as that big, bustling blind side winger

I actually expect to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Iaone on the wing

I expect to see

Genia
Cooper
Iaone
Barnes
McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Beale

with White, a centre (Faainga or Horne) on the bench

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What's a blindside winger?

Sent using Tapatalk

It is what I describe the big winger we play for inside lines off set piece, Dell, Lote & Digby are all recent examples.

We usually play one big blindside unit and the other as a 2nd 15/14 JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell, Turner, Roff etc who can kick and is comfortable under high balls

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It is what I describe the big winger we play for inside lines off set piece, Dell, Lote & Digby are all recent examples.

We usually play one big blindside unit and the other as a 2nd 15/14 JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell, Turner, Roff etc who can kick and is comfortable under high balls

Thought it was forward envy
Sent using Tapatalk

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
FYI...

Missed tackles for 2012:

1. Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes) 44
1. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 44
3. Francois Hougaard (Bulls) 36
3. Peter Grant (Stormers) 36
5. Elton Jantjies (Lions) 35
5. Josh Strauss (Lions) 35
5. Rob Horne (Waratahs) 35
8. Charl Mcleod (Sharks) 34
9. Andrew Ellis (Crusaders) 32
9. Brett Sheehan (Force) 32
9. Willem Alberts (Sharks) 32
12. Aaron Cruden (Chiefs) 31
12. Faifili Levave (Hurricanes) 31
12. Nick Cummins (Force) 31
12. Sam Carter (Brumbies) 31
12. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs) 31
17. Mark Gerrard (Rebels) 30
17. Willie Le Roux (Cheetahs) 30
19. Franco van der Merwe (Lions) 29
19. Tim Whitehead (Sharks)

Tackles made for 2012:

1. Marcell Coetzee (Sharks) 232
2. Michael Hooper (Brumbies) 230
3. Matt Todd (Crusaders) 229
4. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 215
5. Brodie Retallick (Chiefs) 212
6. Liam Messam (Chiefs) 209
7. Siyamthanda Kolisi (Stormers) 208
8. David Pocock (Force) 206
9. Gareth Delve (Rebels) 187
10. Stephen Moore (Brumbies) 185
11. Adam Thomson (Highlanders) 184
11. Sam Cane (Chiefs) 184
13. George Whitelock (Crusaders) 179
14. Jeremy Thrush (Hurricanes) 177
15. Liam Gill (Reds) 176
16. Derick Minnie (Lions) 169
16. Faifili Levave (Hurricanes) 169
18. Ben Mowen (Brumbies) 167
18. Luke Jones (Rebels) 167
20. Sam Carter (Brumbies) 166

Pilfers:

Most Pilfers
1. Liam Gill (Reds) 15
2. Michael Hooper (Brumbies) 11
3. Coenrad Oosthuizen (Cheetahs) 10
4. David Pocock (Force) 9
5. Derick Minnie (Lions) 8
5. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 8
5. Luke Braid (Blues) 8
8. Andrew Hore (Highlanders) 7
8. Deon Fourie (Stormers) 7
10. Matthew Hodgson (Force) 6
11. Adam Thomson (Highlanders) 5
11. Beau Robinson (Reds) 5
11. Chris Alcock (Waratahs) 5
11. Cobus Grobbelaar (Lions) 5
11. Saia Fainga'a (Reds) 5
11. Scott Fardy (Brumbies) 5
17. Jason Rutledge (Highlanders) 4
17. Karl Lowe (Hurricanes) 4
17. Michael Harris (Reds) 4
17. Tanerau Latimer (Chiefs) 4

The stats I found show Hooper with 222 tackles made and 33 missed. That would put him in the top 10. I guess it depends where you get your stats from. Who's right, who's wrong? Hooper also played a lot more minutes this year so for him to have less pilfering than Gill also doesn't work in his favour.

The great thing about rugby is that there are so many ways to play it and different players to do different things. The team you would have sounds completely different to the team I would have. Who's team would be better? What is the better strategy? Who knows? Probably mine, because I'm bias. :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you're selecting Hooper or Gill in the Wallabies 22, they're essentially there as a second fetcher for late in the game as Pocock is going to be an 80 minute player if he is healthy.

My problem in bringing on a second 7 is neither of them have shown to do much in the scrum. If we're going to continue to have Alexander on the bench we're already going to have a weaker scrum late in the game.

My current thinking on the backrow is that we should just play one backrow reserve (being Dennis) so Palu can come off and either Higgers moves to 8 or Dennis comes on at 8 meaning Higgers and Pocock play 80 minutes.

At this stage I'd like to have 3 backs reserves so we can have White, Cooper or Barnes (unless they become 10/12), and an outside back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Re Hooper just under 13% missed isn't great, but how many of those were in the back end of the season, he seemed to miss quite a few in the last few. (the reverse of Horne who missed plenty early and then got his shit together)

The guy looked to run out of puff towards the end of the S15 season, not surprising for a young guy in his first season playing week in, week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.