• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Against NZ we would be better off with a 5:2 split on the bench so we can make sure we can bring on fresh forwards. We need the pack working as though every starter is going to get 50 minutes so we can increase the intensity of our effort. Strangely for a NZ team, some of their weaknesses are in the forwards (depending on who is available and who they select). But the only way for us to take advantage of that with the potential forwards we can select is for us to play out of our skins and at the sort of intensity that NZ brought to the WC semi. So, IMO, 5 forwards is a requirement.

That leaves two backs on the bench, one of whom has to be White to cover for Genia. So the backs selection has to incorporate the fact that we will have only one cover for 10 to 15. Fortunately our backs are reasonably flexible: Beale covers 10/15, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) covers 11/13/14/15, Ioane covers 13, Barnes covers 10/12 and Fainga'a 12/13. So, if the rumours are true that the backline will be Barnes, Ioane, Fainga'a, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, then who is best for the last bench back? Deans has indicated that he wants Barnes at 10 and "the lady's not for changing". So having Cooper on the bench, which would mean that Barnes would have to move one out may not be the desired choice in his mind. Therefore, White and Mitchell might be the surprise pairing.

It sounds like White isn't going to be considered because he's about to have a shoulder operation.......

In which case we may as well just have Hooper or Gill as scrum half backup.......

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It sounds like White isn't going to be considered because he's about to have a shoulder operation...

In which case we may as well just have Hooper or Gill as scrum half backup...

If that's the case, why select him in the squad? My understanding is that he's available for the first two tests and then he will have the op. Then we have to put Phipps on the bench for the next four games.

I do agree with you that we should start an ABP (anyone but Phipps) program. Hooper or Gill could not be worse than he was this year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does it matter, we all know Deans won't take Genia off even if we're up by 40 against Argentina with 10 to go..

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'm intrigued with three fetchers in the squad, two expert fetchers could really turn the tide. Add Gills versatility as a loosie, vs Hoopers ball carrying ability and potential as a link man. Struggling to see Dennis getting no time while Gill/Hooper (Hooper/Gill) play across from Pocock though.

Glad to see Douglas in, he (alongside Jones) had been a pick of mine at the start of they year, tho a fit AWH would have been my preference by year end. Neville and Pyle are getting the plaudits, fair enough, but I was staggered by the quality of Jones game in the Rebels/Tahs match. Aah well.

Still not sold on Timani, Simmons or Horne, but I did see some good moments from Simmons in the Sharks game and I can see Horne over Taps/Harris this year.

Do we have the team to win in Sydney? Maybe, but I don't buy Hansens drivel about our having a lead in edge.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I will be shocked if its not 6. Dennis 7. Pocock 8. Higgers.

Sticking either Gill or Hooper into the starting line up would be madness, even by Mad Robbie's standards.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Does it matter, we all know Deans won't take Genia off even if we're up by 40 against Argentina with 10 to go..

Replacements aren't necessarily tactical. Genia's durable but he's no more resistant to a broken bone or hyperextension than any other player.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Made in a laughing manner, but the point of the gulf between the top 2 Halfs and the rest isn't anything to snicker at. We need to pray Genia stays injury free and in form.

The value of Luke Burgess is obvious now. If only he could hit his own team's flyhalf.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I will be shocked if its not 6. Dennis 7. Pocock 8. Higgers.

Sticking either Gill or Hooper into the starting line up would be madness, even by Mad Robbie's standards.

I'd be surprised too, but 3 7s does give that option.

And two fetchers would counter the kiwi tactic of running straight at Pocock.

Status
Not open for further replies.