• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Argue about who is the man for the job all you want but it is critical that our 13 can distribute the ball.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Argue about who is the man for the job all you want but it is critical that our 13 can distribute the ball.

After watching Scott's highlight reel of Stirlo, what really stood out for me -- aside from his strength, beautiful lines and change of pace -- was how skillful Mortlock was with the ball. This is why I like JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 in the longer term, although I worry about his size. I really hope McCabe keeps working on his distribution.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
FYI...

Pilfers:

Most Pilfers
1. Liam Gill (Reds) 15
2. Michael Hooper (Brumbies) 11
3. Coenrad Oosthuizen (Cheetahs) 10
4. David Pocock (Force) 9
5. Derick Minnie (Lions) 8
5. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 8
5. Luke Braid (Blues) 8
8. Andrew Hore (Highlanders) 7
8. Deon Fourie (Stormers) 7
10. Matthew Hodgson (Force) 6
11. Adam Thomson (Highlanders) 5
11. Beau Robinson (Reds) 5
11. Chris Alcock (Waratahs) 5
11. Cobus Grobbelaar (Lions) 5
11. Saia Fainga'a (Reds) 5
11. Scott Fardy (Brumbies) 5
17. Jason Rutledge (Highlanders) 4
17. Karl Lowe (Hurricanes) 4
17. Michael Harris (Reds) 4
17. Tanerau Latimer (Chiefs) 4

The top four teams are the Sharks, Stormers, Crusaders and Chiefs. Isn't it passing strange that only two of their players make the top 20 in pilfers and none make the top five? From this you could draw a number of conclusions:
  • That the Australian obsession with a pilfering seven doesn't lead to a lot of SupeRugby success.
  • That Gill, Hooper and Pocock should focus more on something else.
  • That not having the ball, because you don't pilfer much from the other teams, is almost a guarantee of a top four spot.
  • That another big, hard running, hard tackling back rower is much more likely to bring success than a little guy who is fast but easily dislodged from a ruck.
I'm not claiming any of these conclusions as truths, just that the way the Australian rugby teams are approaching the breakdown is not apparently having an enormous amount of success. Perhaps the current rule interpretations, which change back and forth like the tide, aren't very good for the typical Australian fetcher. Maybe we need 8 big fast men who can get to the breakdown and dive all over the opposition, slowing down their ball rather than an out-and-out fetcher? It certainly worked well for the Highlanders early in the season until fatigue caught up with them. It definitely works for the Stormers who seem to spend all their training doing defensive drills on the assumption that if its kicked out of their half and they don't let the other team past then they'll end up with four points every week. Their champion pilferer is their back-up hooker and they don't seem to like backrowers unless they are big ugly brutes.

One thing I can say with certainty. If the current referee breakdown interpretations continue then the Hooper vs Gill debate on this forum has been an enormous waste of time. (I might argue it has anyway, but that's for another day.) Having a great pilferer in your backrow coincides directly with not making the top four and almost all of the great pilferers are playing for teams in the bottom half of the table. The Lions and Force had two top 20 pilferers and look where they ended up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe the teams that aren't very good spend more time without the ball so they have more opportunities to pilfer?

Maybe after they win it they end up kicking it away or losing it rather than maintaining possession for a long period of time?

The stats are certainly interesting though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Deans will choose: 9. Genia, 10. Barnes, 11. Ioane, 12. McCabe, 13. Horne, 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 15. Beale. If he has a 3 backs bench it will be White, Cooper and one of Fainga'a/Mitchell. His press pronouncements suggest it, his super-conservatism and focus on particular players would tell you this is what he will do.

Conrad Smith is out for the first two games, so whover gets picked at 13 is going to have an easier (not easy, easier) time of it.

The forum consensus if I read it right would choose: 9. Genia, 10. Cooper, 11 Ioane, 12. Barnes, 13. McCabe 14. Mitchell, 15. Beale with White, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Fainga'a on the bench. If we go with a 5:2 split against the AB's (likely) then Fainga'a will drop out. The 5:2 bench would allow for two backrowers to cover for Palu and Pocock.

This is our best chance to win the Bledisloe for a number of years, but with a backline as unimaginative as Deans will put out I think we will miss a golden opportunity. The forum consensus would be our best backline for ten years, with the ability to humiliate every other backline in the world except for the Blacks and in my view will beat the Blacks man for man, particularly with Smith out. But it also requires a coach with the vision to see what could be and the knowledge to be able to develop that fully. Deans has never shown this in his time as Australia's lead coach. Where is Totality Tony when we need him?

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Hawko - I think the forum backline you nominate is good but I don't think Mitchell's had enough game time yet. I'd switch Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) between starting and bench.

I hope Deans doesn't go conservative and select Barnes over Cooper at #10 because if he does, in my opinion, it will be another Bledisloe free year for the Wallabies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I spoke to Mitchell a couple of weeks ago and he was expecting to be in the Shute shield to "continue rehab", I wouldn't think he is back to international level at all.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What's the state of Palu's injury? I didn't think it was too bad, but he has form for picking up 'minor' injuries and three weeks out turns into four, then five, six, seven...........

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What's the state of Palu's injury? I didn't think it was too bad, but he has form for picking up 'minor' injuries and three weeks out turns into four, then five, six, seven.....

Not sure. Even if Palu and McCalman are out, playing Samo smacks of desperation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Higgers at 8, Dennis at 6 and possibly Samo on the bench is a better option than Samo starting. I'd probably still give Mowen a crack off the bench.

Samo seems to be a far better proposition at this point if he comes on with a limited amount of time remaining and he can just go hell for leather for that period of time. If he starts the game, he'd surely have to seriously measure his effort just to make it to half time.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd like Auelua to get a crack at 8 at some stage too if Palu isn't fit. I like Samo but I think at test level he is a bench proposition at best. I also think at test level you need your bench to be able to play 80 if needed. I don't see the point of having a 40min player anywhere in the 22.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'd switch Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) between starting and bench.

With Mitchell coming back, what are the chances he could be utilised as a Wing/Fullback cover? If he hasn't lost anything off that boot of his I'd love to see him being given a cameo at the back there. It's been awhile since we've had a bloke with a booming kick at the back to get us out of trouble.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
genia
cooper
ioane
barnes
beale
JOC (James O'Connor)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

i've grown attached to the idea of trying beale at 13. hands, attack, pace and defense to do it. JOC (James O'Connor) or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The top four teams are the Sharks, Stormers, Crusaders and Chiefs. Isn't it passing strange that only two of their players make the top 20 in pilfers and none make the top five? From this you could draw a number of conclusions:

How is "pilfers" calculated?
Does it include a penalty?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
They need to stick as much as possible to the side that beat Wales. Simple. Wholesale changes now would be a catastrophe. Players coming back from injury should largely do so through the bench.

We've been trying this, "pick the best XV individuals" for the last 5-10 years and it hasn't gone well.

Shuffling returning players along the bench works fine when you have an injury or two, but if you have injuries to several key players it can turn a short term crisis into a long term disaster. Imagine if you had Horwill, Genia, Cooper and Ioane all fully fit after suffering injuries. You wouldn't queue them up and introduce them one per test via the bench. It could take a whole season to get a competitive team on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.