• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Josh Rakic states the obvious on Barnes vs Cooper at 10, then starts to wander:

Mitchell is an automatic selection if he is actually able to run at full pace.

Turner scrapes in if he is able to run at full pace. Shipperley doesn't kick as much (good and bad) and finds the tryline much more (IIRC, good). But he is a tyro (there you go Canno) and if Turner is actually fit and training well he would not let the wallabies down.

Vuna is Vuna.

Foley is not JOC (James O'Connor), I'd rather he wasn't bounced around backline completely randomly. Of course, Robbie can play him on the wing and fete him as a McCabesque success if he plays at last safely.

Cummins seems to have flown under the Rakic radar, and Ioane is the elephant in the room squashing the "at least".

Ioane and Mitchell are your 2 top wingers hands-down Turner would be lucky to be in my training squad. From what I saw last year, he needs to have an open field and not-far-to-go to get across the line. I'd play JOC (James O'Connor) at wing before Turner. I'm not a big fan of his (nothing to do with his playing ability - I think it's the hair-cut and vitamin ads) but the kid knows how to sniff out tries far far better than Turner.

Hell, I'd persist with Vuna before going to Turner.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Me too.

I like the dual fetcher proposition but in order to do so, our first priority needs to be a stable scrum.

In a scrummaging situation, Alexander gets beaten by pretty much everyone. Paddy Ryan even schooled him in the scrum.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ioane and Mitchell are your 2 top wingers hands-down Turner would be lucky to be in my training squad. From what I saw last year, he needs to have an open field and not-far-to-go to get across the line. I'd play JOC (James O'Connor) at wing before Turner. I'm not a big fan of his (nothing to do with his playing ability - I think it's the hair-cut and vitamin ads) but the kid knows how to sniff out tries far far better than Turner.

Hell, I'd persist with Vuna before going to Turner...

It'll be interesting to see who Robbie selects for the #10 role. I think he'll go with Barnes as he's the incumbent. I thought the backline against Wales was weak and I think if it remains the same it will suffer against the AB's. I'd put cooper back in 10 and put Barnes at 12, Diggers at 11, Mitchell at 14 and anybody except Horne at 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Beale at 15

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You don't see any risk in selecting a backline that has about 4 changes from the one used in the tests against Wales?

I would argue that a completely reshuffled backline presents a greater risk of catastrophe than sticking largely with a backline that was solid against Wales.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You don't see any risk in selecting a backline that has about 4 changes from the one used in the tests against Wales?

I would argue that a completely reshuffled backline presents a greater risk of catastrophe than sticking largely with a backline that was solid against Wales.

They have weeks to sort out the combinations, it isn't like they are in a game on Saturday

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That is true, however their first game is against the All Blacks. That's a pretty serious challenge.

Like many other people, I think having Cooper, Barnes and McCabe as 10-13 is our best option in the longer term. Making those three changes at once and playing McCabe at 13 where he has little or no experience against the ABs is a huge risk.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That is true, however their first game is against the All Blacks. That's a pretty serious challenge.

Like many other people, I think having Cooper, Barnes and McCabe as 10-13 is our best option in the longer term. Making those three changes at once and playing McCabe at 13 where he has little or no experience against the ABs is a huge risk.

No bigger than making him play 12 after one Super Rugby game last season. I'd say far less risky.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
13 is the hardest place in the backline to defend. If it all goes wrong we could walloped by the All Blacks.

T

Train Without a Station

13 is the hardest place in the backline to defend. If it all goes wrong we could walloped by the All Blacks.

Lucky that's where he was primarily playing when Robbie picked him to play 12 then, isn't it?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
They need to stick as much as possible to the side that beat Wales. Simple. Wholesale changes now would be a catastrophe. Players coming back from injury should largely do so through the bench.

We've been trying this, "pick the best XV individuals" for the last 5-10 years and it hasn't gone well.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
We've been trying this, "pick the best XV individuals" for the last 5-10 years and it hasn't gone well.

I think you're over-simplifying it. First off all being the "best player" is subjective so there will always be contention but more importantly often we've seen is players being picked out of position, based on potential (something I think we definitely shouldn't be trying at international levels).
Also we've seen a clear trend in the last couple of years to do 2 things:
1. Pick a team around Quade
2. Shuffling of players due to an injury rather than using a replacement to fill a role.

The former has created an unbalanced backline when Quade is injured and the latter has caused us to have little consistency in terms of results, style of play and combinations.

D

daz

2. Shuffling of players due to an injury rather than using a replacement to fill a role.

the latter has caused us to have little consistency in terms of results, style of play and combinations.

Agreed. It seems we are asking quite a few of our players to become expert in multiple roles. Jack of all trades and master at none.

While shuffling is required from time to time, I see little point in asking guys like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to spend his career trying to be the worlds best 13, 14 and 15. Mr Versatility he might be, but at what cost?

Likewise Beale (10, 12, 15) and JOC (James O'Connor) (11/14, 10, 12).

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think you're over-simplifying it.

Yeah I did, but I did so to try and make my point. I couldn't agree with you more but. With the exception of 9 & 11, a lot of backs in the Wallabies training squad probably couldn't say with any great certainty where they're likely to be considered, if at all. That's not good.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
you guys are kidding if you think the team will change much from Sydney

would not surprise me to see the same 15

Oh I don't think any of us genuinely believe that the team will change much at all.... I think maybe 1 or 2 changes on the bench and that will be it.

T

TOCC

it may not change dramatically...

But on the same note, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since the Wallabies last played Wales and by the time they will start the Rugby Championship... Including a 4 week training window..

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Where do we see cummings fitting in if at all? Or is he just there to make up numbers?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.