• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A big problem with moving McCabe to 13 is that it would seem a risky move to test in the Rugby Championship.

You'd normally think that the EOYT and June tests were the time to test new options but 2011 was different because it was a RWC year and subsequently the EOYT was brief and half our team was crocked.

Several of our key players were out of the June tests so that also meant that we couldn't try new combinations that are potentially our best team.

It would be great if we were going into TRC after playing the June tests with 10. Cooper, 12. Barnes, 13. McCabe but unfortunately we couldn't.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
The main advantage of McCabe outside Cooper is it reinforces the 10 12 defensive channels. Cooper is a better defender this year, 69% from iirc 57 odd, but he is still a gaping hole compared to JOC (James O'Connor), barnes or beale. It is also imo better to have a line straightener at 12 over 13.

Anyways I expect that is Dean's logic people here mostly seem to want a playmaker 12.

T

TOCC

I think the ultimate problem is that Australia just doesn't have great centres at the moment...

Yes McCabe, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Fainga'a are able to fill those roles, and at times they play quite well...
But they are not in the same league as the likes of Little, Horan, Herbert and Mortlock in the past or O'Driscoll, Nonu, Conrad Smith and Jaimie Roberts currently..
Opposition teams aren't going to look at the Wallabies and identify the centres as the main threat.

I would argue that in every other position in the back line we have the 'world class' equivalent, but the centres are where the Wallabies struggle with quality and depth.

Even in South Africa, they are losing Fourie, but still have Frans Steyn and Jean DeVilliers as a strong pairing who i rate above the Wallaby centres.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Where the hell is Digby, Will and Higgenbotham?
I'm guessing Deans has decided they're superfluous to requirements. Alternatively they're all going to be used heavily during TRC and he's decided to give them a couple of weeks rest. Could be anything really.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Anyone know why Paddy Ryan has been selected? I know Palmer is injured but really? I'd be surprised if he was even fully match fit yet with only a couple of starts after Kepu was injured.
Also I would have thought that there should be space for Shipperly (probably over Turner or Vuna).
Where the hell is Digby, Will and Higgenbotham?

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1516/ArticleID/7222/Default.aspx
you Really should read a few posts in the thread before posting. It's all in here if you look.

M

Mica

you Really should read a few posts in the thread before posting. It's all in here if you look.

I did Sully - I didn't see anything on Paddy Ryan's selection or comments as to Shipperly over Turner or Vuna.
Considering the linked article is the official ARU update as to the preliminary Wallabies squad I think the comment of where the hell is Digby, Will and Higgenbotham is fair enough as there is no comment made in this article as to a rest or otherwise as some have previously commented.

Cheers Mica

B

Boomboom

Chances of Liam gill getting bench spot?

Also hopper v gill?

Any coments

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I did Sully - I didn't see anything on Paddy Ryan's selection or comments as to Shipperly over Turner or Vuna.
Considering the linked article is the official ARU update as to the preliminary Wallabies squad I think the comment of where the hell is Digby, Will and Higgenbotham is fair enough as there is no comment made in this article as to a rest or otherwise as some have previously commented.

Cheers Mica

Look up.......

Meanwhile, eight Reds _ Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Radike Samo, Cooper, Ben Tapuai, James Hanson, Jake Schatz and Liam Gill _ have been added to the Wallabies 35-man training squad, which will have a three-day camp in Sydney, starting tomorrow.

Will Genia, Digby Ioane, Higginbotham and Anthony Fainga'a have been rested because they will be heavily involved in the upcoming Rugby Championship, while Mike Harris, Luke Morahan and Dom Shipperley were omitted.

Saia Fainga'a (elbow) and Ben Lucas (ankle) were not considered because of injuries they sustained against the Sharks.

As for Paddy Ryan, he's looked good in his few starts and is deserving of a place in the training squad with Palmer out injured...

If there's any contention with selections in the squad it's to be with some of the taller members of the forward pack, and Cooper Vuna who is simply nowhere being good enough... not even to train with this squad...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
This argument would seem to follow the line that the only way to be 'up to it' is to be better than the All Blacks.

Considering our players on the whole aren't better than the All Blacks, it seems to create a bit of a false expectation that effectively says none of our players are good enough to be there even though they've maintained the position as the second ranked team in the world.

We still beat Wales 3-0 which is a very good result no matter how you look at it.

Absolutely. Losing to the Abs or the Boks doesn't necessarily mean we played badly. Sometimes we're better. Sometimes they're better. It's the way sport works. So we go away and work on our execution. But we may still not win. We're playing at the pinnacle of world rugby.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
To my thinking, the training camp is there to maintain fitness (not to get it), but just as importantly to have a number of fringe players ready to step up, and to be familiar with the wallabies moves.
The fringe players are also given motivation to maintain a high level of fitness on returning to club rugby, which doesn't give them the necessary level.

I reckon Deans will absolutely drive them into the ground to increase their fitness. He has each year so far.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have no issues with lots of props being included in training squads. You want opposed live scrummaging, so you need at least 2 full front rows, preferably a couple more as you don't want to stop if one or two players go down with a niggle.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I have no issues with lots of props being included in training squads. You want opposed live scrummaging, so you need at least 2 full front rows, preferably a couple more as you don't want to stop if one or two players go down with a niggle.

Yep, and I imagine they might have included lots of locks for this reason as well. Lots of opposed tight 5 work to sort out who is up for it and who is not.

T

TOCC

Can we bring Damon Kelly into the squad once his done with the Olympic weightlifting?

T

TOCC

Either that or Robbie Deans hasn't watched a single game of Super Rugby since 2011

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Gilly isn't up to it physically at international level yet. Hooper provides more ball running impact, which is what you'd want off the bench.

So you're saying we need a forward that seagulls around rucks waiting for a good time to run and a person who misses tackles and lets in soft trys?

I'd rather a more solid defender and one who can contest the breakdown especially when players are tiring. Gill would be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.