• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springbokke vs Pumas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I take it they are pushing for whites in Bafana Bafana? :rolleyes:

I guess not, since that team is basically "demographically representative", not that I'd know because I don't watch soccer, but I'm guessing it's near enough to the best side we have so I don't give two hoots.

Bottom line is politics don't belong in sport. I feel so sorry for Heyneke Meyer, he has made his mistakes, fair enough, all coaches do(except Kitch Christie), but every coach deserves to pick the side he believes is the best on merit when he is granted the chance.

Besides, we had 3 non-white players(not a single BLACK African) in the 2011 quarter-final, as well as 1 other on the bench(also not BLACK African), so 4 in total, but the politicians shut their traps because it was a non-white coach.

Not once did I hear racism being shouted. But suddenly the white coach does the same and he's a racist. GTFO.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
If it was me, I would go down like Mallett, picking what I thought to be the best side, then I'd GTFO after the RWC, since the daggers will be out regardless of his teams performance.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
If it was me, I would go down like Mallett, picking what I thought to be the best side, then I'd GTFO after the RWC, since the daggers will be out regardless of his teams performance.

Exactly this. Then I go coach France or someone and win the next World Cup and shove it up COSATU's noses if I were him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to me that if you're going to introduce any sort of quota system it should be at Currie Cup level.

By providing better access to professional contracts and professional training environments you will level the playing field in terms of opportunity. Then the best players should naturally emerge at the highest level and you can pick the Springboks purely based on who you think is the best side.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The no-whites Bafana Bafana issue is never raised because FIFA will not tolerate any government interference in the management and/or governance of soccer at any level. Something the iRB/WR (World Rugby) could well emulate.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I haven't watched it.

I really don't know if I can.

Sounds like we learn some lessons. But thats all we seem to do. Learn lessons.

Im sure we will hear that it doesn't matter in the bigger scheme. That we were testing combinations. That we underestimated them.

South Africa lost against Argtina at home one the back of losing three other tests in a row. This looks like a crisis to me but the Saffer coaches and media will still let everyone believe that it's a "process" and that the world cup is all that matters.

Broken. Like I wrote in February ion the front page and we have not made any progress or showed signs of learning in 7 months.
You moaned for 4 years about Peter de Villiers, now your Meyer took us to the lowest of lows, lower then Straulis lot.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sad to see the Saffers blaming politics for Meyers coaching performance. He killed our game for some time with selecting chicken runners and old age home players. Good that some of the younger players stand up to this. Now he selected Kirschner, vokket man, new lows on the way.

Springbok team:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Trevor Nyakane
Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20, Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Jan Serfontein
Additional tour squad members:
Bismarck du Plessis, Steven Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi, Rudy Paige, Elton Jantjies

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sad to see the Saffers blaming politics for Meyers coaching performance. He killed our game for some time with selecting chicken runners and old age home players. Good that some of the younger players stand up to this. Now he selected Kirschner, vokket man, new lows on the way.

Springbok team:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Trevor Nyakane
Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20, Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Jan Serfontein

I assume du Preez is injured; wouldn't Kriel be a better choice at 15 as he's played there all year? Then maybe Serfontein at 12 and de Allende at 13? I know injuries have hit hard, but Kirchner has real limitations at 15.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
It seems to me that if you're going to introduce any sort of quota system it should be at Currie Cup level.

By providing better access to professional contracts and professional training environments you will level the playing field in terms of opportunity. Then the best players should naturally emerge at the highest level and you can pick the Springboks purely based on who you think is the best side.

Please try use logic in Africa, here it is optional, and therefore holds no weight.

Springbok team:

I see that HM has re-signed with SARU for another 4 years, so you'd do well to get used to him. By the looks of that team, he's bent right over in order to stay at the helm.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
The way Willie tackles, this is a positive move. Lately he hasn't performed at all. One thing I remember about Zane in all his time is that he never seems to miss a tackle, and is as hard as nails.

This is a clear message to Willie: Shape up or ship out. No use if he creates 3 tries every match but then concedes 3 on his own anyway. I actually mentioned to somebody yesterday that even Kirchner would be a better option. You cannot have a guy constantly missing tackles as a last line of defence in the world cup, you simply cannot. No "but... but... but".

Kirchner isn't the world's best fullback, far from it, but he's no worse than the bunch we currently have.

And I'd rather have him as a quota than Mohoje, who just doesn't bring anything to the game.

Regarding the rest of the picked team, it's probably the best available side. Which changes would you guys suggest that EVERYONE would agree on that would be a better option? Between Lambie and Pollard you basically swap between dependability and brilliance, but neither I think could have saved any of this year's losses on their own.

People seem to be grasping at straws because their favorites don't get picked. The problem is that the best players available are basically playing each week. A coach can only play with the players he has at his disposal.

And you are talking bollie if you think anyone is blaming the last year's results on quotas - but it's nevertheless a part of the future landscape of our rugby. You want us to just ignore it? Pfffft. Then we might as well close this forum to Springbok fans.

Did you not see the extended plans for quotas for the future?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The way Willie tackles, this is a positive move. Lately he hasn't performed at all. One thing I remember about Zane in all his time is that he never seems to miss a tackle, and is as hard as nails.

This is a clear message to Willie: Shape up or ship out. No use if he creates 3 tries every match but then concedes 3 on his own anyway. I actually mentioned to somebody yesterday that even Kirchner would be a better option. You cannot have a guy constantly missing tackles as a last line of defence in the world cup, you simply cannot. No "but. but. but".

Kirchner isn't the world's best fullback, far from it, but he's no worse than the bunch we currently have.

And I'd rather have him as a quota than Mohoje, who just doesn't bring anything to the game.

Regarding the rest of the picked team, it's probably the best available side. Which changes would you guys suggest that EVERYONE would agree on that would be a better option? Between Lambie and Pollard you basically swap between dependability and brilliance, but neither I think could have saved any of this year's losses on their own.

People seem to be grasping at straws because their favorites don't get picked. The problem is that the best players available are basically playing each week. A coach can only play with the players he has at his disposal.

And you are talking bollie if you think anyone is blaming the last year's results on quotas - but it's nevertheless a part of the future landscape of our rugby. You want us to just ignore it? Pfffft. Then we might as well close this forum to Springbok fans.

Did you not see the extended plans for quotas for the future?
Vokket Boet. You really rate Kirschner. Take a bow.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
After much deliberation, I agree with the Kirchner selection. Since Quota's are a reality, Kirchner vs Mohoje is a no brainer for mine. If wlr had been less of a turnstyle however, there would be room for debate.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
After much deliberation, I agree with the Kirchner selection. Since Quota's are a reality, Kirchner vs Mohoje is a no brainer for mine. If wlr had been less of a turnstyle however, there would be room for debate.

Agreed. If Le Roux would grow some ballas on defence, there wouldn't even be a debate. But he seems a little "grootkop" in this department. 'I'm Mr. Attacking Genius, I don't need to do any hard work like tackling etc.'

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
any 15 in SA. When last did you see him play?

When last did you see Habana play before the World XV game? Exactly. The coach won't pick a player he's watched if they're playing like Jorrie Muller.

Besides, we'll all have our opinions. You like Carr, but some of us can think of 5 others who we'd prefer to him. You're acting like Heyneke is the first coach to pick players we don't like.

Jake White also had his favorites, according to some, but he had the job and the critics didn't. You can't please everyone.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
When last did you see Habana play before the World XV game? Exactly. The coach won't pick a player he's watched if they're playing like Jorrie Muller.

Besides, we'll all have our opinions. You like Carr, but some of us can think of 5 others who we'd prefer to him. You're acting like Heyneke is the first coach to pick players we don't like.

Jake White also had his favorites, according to some, but he had the job and the critics didn't. You can't please everyone.
Habana is probably worse then Kirschner.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Habana is probably worse then Kirschner.

Perhaps. Which brings me back to my point. The coach can only pick the players at his disposal, which is a pile of shit at the moment.

Look at all our teams in Super Rugby and tell me with a straight face that that bunch inspired you.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

there shouldnt be any entertaining of a quota system, at any level, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.