• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springbokke vs Pumas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love the headline on ESPNscrum about the Springboks team for this match.

"Matfield captains new-look Boks"

It was probably also the headline for articles written in 2007 or 2008.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You moaned for 4 years about Peter de Villiers, now your Meyer took us to the lowest of lows, lower then Straulis lot.

...and your point is?

oh I see. That makes everything that PdV ever did good. Right. I am not going to try an even work that out. In fact you need to be either delusional or crazy or both to use Meyer's performance to justify the insanity we had under PdV.

Or you have to inhabit the twilight zone. Which I suspect you do.

De Villiers did not run, manage, or coach the Springboks. You and I both know that. The players did. Matfield and Smit ran forwards coaching. Dick Muir ran the backs. PdV entertained the media.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Perhaps. Which brings me back to my point. The coach can only pick the players at his disposal, which is a pile of shit at the moment.

Look at all our teams in Super Rugby and tell me with a straight face that that bunch inspired you.

Paarl will tell you to just pick players from the Cape. He will probably tell you that Coetzee is the best coach that ever lived. That all ills are cured by smoking horny mountain goat weed.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can players be a mix of African/whatever and be counted as an African in this quota system?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Can players be a mix of African/whatever and be counted as an African in this quota system?

Not exactly. In South Africa there is a distinction between "colored" and "black".

A couple of months there was talk of 8 in the match day 23 leading up to the World Cup having to be "non-white". Not quite sure what happened to that idea.

This latest transformation plan (and there have been a few) supposedly will work towards a 50/50 split and in the 50% of non-white players there will be a predominant black representation. The pie charts in the image posted in this thread basically show a progression towards this.

So in 5 years they want to take what is now 4% black players in test and Super Rugby to 30%

To translate: At the moment less than 2 of the 23 in the average Super / Test sides have been black. Come 2019 it will be 8 black guys, 11/12 white and 3/4 colored.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Perhaps. Which brings me back to my point. The coach can only pick the players at his disposal, which is a pile of shit at the moment.

Look at all our teams in Super Rugby and tell me with a straight face that that bunch inspired you.
Going to the old age home your and Meyers solutions. While you with the straight face , which players in the current team impressed you?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl will tell you to just pick players from the Cape. He will probably tell you that Coetzee is the best coach that ever lived. That all ills are cured by smoking horny mountain goat weed.
Personal insults always your method of replying. Not surprising.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Going to the old age home your and Meyers solutions. While you with the straight face , which players in the current team impressed you?

Not many. Again back to my point then. Lack of quality/form players to the coach's disposal.

Marcell Coetzee was a standout before he got injured and deserves a mention. Schalk hasn't done much wrong either.

Which ones impressed you?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not many. Again back to my point then. Lack of quality/form players to the coach's disposal.

Marcell Coetzee was a standout before he got injured and deserves a mention. Schalk hasn't done much wrong either.

Which ones impressed you?
Come on I want names of players. Marcell Coetzee played kak.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
At least the Pumas show the way to go to the World Cup, changing 7 for saturday.

S24
Pumas change 7 for Bok rematch

Buenos Aires - Argentina have made seven changes to the team that humiliated South Africa last weekend for a Test rematch in Buenos Aires on Saturday.
Apart from the personnel alterations, coach Daniel Hourcade has opted for two positional switches as the Pumas seek to build on a stunning 37-25 Rugby Championship win over the Springboks in Durban.
It was the first triumph for Argentina over South Africa after 19 failed attempts since the countries' initial meeting in 1993 in Buenos Aires.
And it was the first Championship away victory for the South Americans after 10 losses in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa over four seasons.
Hourcade justified changing a team that achieved the Pumas' greatest victory since they overcame hosts France to finish third at the 2007 Rugby World Cup.
"The team for each match was decided in advance so that each player goes to the World Cup with the right among of game time," he told reporters Wednesday ahead of the 2015 Rugby World Cup warm-up Test.
"We realise the Springboks are going to try and alter their image and we have to be ready for a battle."
Out of the Durban starting backline go right winger Horacio Agulla, centres Marcelo Bosch and injured Jeronimo De la Fuente and scrumhalf Tomas Cubelli.
They are replaced by Santiago Cordero, Matias Moroni, Nicolas Sanchez and Martin Landajo for the match at the 50 000-capacity Estadio Jose Amalfitani in a western suburb of the Argentine capital.
Veteran Hernandez, who was outstanding at fly-half last weekend, retreats to inside centre to accommodate Sanchez in the pivotal role.
Sanchez disappointed in Rugby Championship losses to New Zealand and Australia last month and his form will be closely monitored with the World Cup kick-off just over a month away.
Among the forwards, lock Guido Petti Pagadizabal, flank Pablo Matera and No 8 Leonardo Senatore step down.
Into their places come Benjamin Macome, Tomas Lezana and France-based 64-Test veteran Jean Martin Fernandez Lobbe.
Juan Manuel Leguizamon, another long-serving warrior in the Pumas pack, moves from the flank to No 8 in a positional alteration.
Hourcade has retained the Durban front row of props Marcos Ayerza (loosehead) and Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro (tighthead) and hooker-cum-skipper Agustin Creevy after they tormented South Africa last weekend.
The passionate Pumas dominated the scrums and breakdowns as South Africa suffered their most humiliating Test loss since a 49-0 meltdown in Australia nine years ago.
It is the final Test for both countries before they name 31-man World Cup squads with Argentina due to reveal theirs Sunday.
South Africa are in Pool B at the global rugby showcase with Japan, Samoa, Scotland and the United States, while Argentina are in Pool C alongside Georgia, Namibia, title-holders New Zealand and Tonga.
Teams:
Argentina:
15-Joaquin Tuculet, 14-Santiago Cordero, 13-Matias Moroni, 12-Juan Martin Hernandez, 11-Juan Imhoff, 10-Nicolas Sanchez, 9-Martin Landajo; 8-Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 7-Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, 6-Tomas Lezana, 5-Tomas Lavanini, 4-Benjamin Macome, 3-Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 2-Agustin Creevy (captain), 1-Marcos Ayerza

Substitutes: 16-Julian Montoya, 17-Lucas Noguera, 18-Juan Pablo Orlandi, 19-Matias Alemanno, 20-Pablo Matera, 21-Tomas Cubelli, 22-Juan Pablo Socino, 23-Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino
South Africa:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Trevor Nyakane
Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20, Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Jan Serfontein
Blue and his Blue Bull friends use to call Peter de Villiers a qouta coach, Meyer is one loss away from drop below his %. Peter's never lost against the Pumas, not to speak about losing in South Africa. This is how low we are at the moment. Meyer keep on favouring old age home players like Kirschner, Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers, Victor Matfield, exct and they just seem not to cope on this level. Its to late to change this now. Can we call Meyer a white or blue qouta?

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I dont smoke weed like he suggests, maybe the reason for his head aches.

How's that any worse than the comment I'm quoting now? Unlike you, I don't think he cares though. It seems that this victimist mentality is rooted in South Africa.

Come on I want names of players. Marcell Coetzee played kak.

I gave you names, these are the only ones that played well in my opinion. You only think Coetzee played kak because he doesn't play for the Stormers.

At least the Pumas show the way to go to the World Cup, chancing 7 for saturday.

S24
Blue and his Blue Bull friends use to call Peter de Villiers a qouta coach, Meyer is one loss away from drop below his %. Peter's never lost against the Pumas, not to speak about losing in South Africa. This is how low we are at the moment. Meyer keep on favouring old age home players like Kirschner, Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers, Victor Matfield, exct and they just seem not to cope on this level. Its to late to change this now. Can we call Meyer a white or blue qouta?

Well he had some of the best players SA ever had, at or near their peaks. Meyer doesn't have that luxury, he never has. He's sitting with the task of rebuilding the Bok team. With this team Piet Helium would never even have won a game in the last 4 years. It's all relative.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Boks-try-to-dodge-grim-record-20150813

Cape Town – If the tottering Springboks slump to a fifth Test loss in a row in Buenos Aires on Saturday, they will equal an unenviable professional-era landmark set during Jake White’s tenure as head coach.
In what has undoubtedly been the most problematic period of Heyneke Meyer’s time in charge, which began in 2012, the Boks have succumbed in successive Tests to Wales (12-6, Cardiff, end of last year) and then 2015 defeats to Australia (24-20, Brisbane), New Zealand (27-20, Johannesburg) and most recently the biggest surprise of them all, Argentina (37-25, Durban).
So when they play the rapid return Test on Argentinean soil this weekend, they will be attempting to skirt becoming only the second Bok outfit of the post-isolation period to suffer five reverses on the trot.
It seems a reasonably tall order against the upbeat Pumas, too, given the huge extent to which Meyer has tampered with his starting XV since Kings Park – eight alterations -- and the fact that several positional combinations will be either rusty or in some cases largely untried.
But as things stand, a period during White’s 2006 season (his third of four years as national coach) remains the only instance since our emergence from the wilderness in 1992 that South Africa have surrendered five Tests in succession.
All of them occurred with John Smit the captain, beginning at Newlands when France outwitted the Boks 36-26, and then came one of the most wretched South African performances of all time as they were annihilated 49-0 by Australia in Brisbane.
The Boks were then beaten 35-17 by the All Blacks in Wellington, 20-18 by the Wallabies in Sydney, and finally 45-26 by New Zealand again in Pretoria.
A desperately committed showing a week later in the slightly unusual setting of Rustenburg saw the Boks mercifully end the losing streak by seeing off the New Zealanders 21-20.
Not much more than a year later, of course, the Springboks – under the same White/Smit command – had demonstrated how thoroughly and swiftly fortunes can turn in rugby by winning the 2007 World Cup in France.
If the present SA team are to swing back to consistent winning ways in time for a strong RWC 2015 title assault, it will need to happen with even greater haste than back then, as the tournament is only a few weeks away.
There have been two other occasions since 1992 when the Boks have sat on a four-Test losing streak: the first was under Nick Mallett’s stewardship in 1999 (29-19 to Wales in Cardiff, 28-0 to New Zealand in Dunedin, 32-6 to Australia in Brisbane, 34-18 to New Zealand in Pretoria).
The other came in 2010, starting with a 32-12 thumping by NZ in Auckland, then 31-17 in Wellington, and a 30-13 loss to the Aussies in Brisbane before coming home to the wrong end of a 29-22 result against the All Blacks in Soweto.
South Africa’s worst sequence of Test defeats of all time – seven -- came in a period stretching between July 1964 and August 1965.
The losses, from first to last, were: 8-6 to France (Springs), 9-6 to Ireland (Dublin), 8-5 to Scotland (Edinburgh), 18-11 to Australia (Sydney), 12-8 to Australia (Brisbane), 6-3 to New Zealand (Wellington) and 13-0 to the same foes in Dunedin.

Nou wat nou, PaarlBok? Even the mighty Jake White had an equally bad, if not worse run than Meyer if you look at our margins of losses then compared to this year. And that was with a greatly settled squad full of established players.

Nick Mallett had a 4 match losing streak himself, the same guy many are begging to replace Meyer.

The only thing that makes it look bad is the timing. But we've been in worse situations before. I guess it's true what they say - time heals everything.

The only difference I guess for you is that Jake and Mallett tended to favor WP players for selection. I'm starting to see why you say what you say, and it's got nothing to do with Meyer.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I gave you names, these are the only ones that played well in my opinion. You only think Coetzee played kak because he doesn't play for the Stormers.
Its the only name you gave? Now you want to bring provinces in like your Blue Bull supporters do. I dont have horns on my head like you and Blue.

I already told you Schalk Burger and Jean de Villiers should not be close to a Bok team for starters. Suppose they play for the Bulls?

Status
Not open for further replies.