• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v Tahs, round 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was complaining about the yellow it appeared because it was the touchie that saw it and then mentioned it to the ref. I don't think the ref would've agreed with the decision had he seen it.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
He was complaining about the yellow it appeared because it was the touchie that saw it and then mentioned it to the ref. I don't think the ref would've agreed with the decision had he seen it.

TBF the ref had given three or four warnings at that stage for silly stuff, really had no choice by then to either deal with it or allowing an all out brawl. Dennis deserved a yellow if for no other reason than being thick as.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
two ways to take it tho.

the ref simply took the touchies comments (shove??) and so YC'd him. No way in hell it could be called a shove.

But, we had already had BdP 'warning' the ref 'we won't take it any more' (think the response was 'well don't take things into your own hand' or similar)

A touch on the arm later, they react after being warned not to, and the touchie get's the description so wrong it's farcical and off he goes for ten.

If one went off surely the person reacting (which is often punished harder than the offender) should also have gone, after all they had already made it clear they would take the law into their own hands. And did.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
terry k he had warned the Waratahs. Their tactics were plain to see. The ref had simply had enough of trying to speak to the front rows and Dennis thought it was a great idea to push the opposing captain at that very moment. Petulance. Deserved carding.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
terry k he had warned the Waratahs. Their tactics were plain to see. The ref had simply had enough of trying to speak to the front rows and Dennis thought it was a great idea to push the opposing captain at that very moment. Petulance. Deserved carding.
No,sorry but it just cannot be against the rules to push & shove a South African player.
If that standard was applied universally, very few South African teams could barely finish a game with any players!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No,sorry but it just cannot be against the rules to push & shove a South African player.
If that standard was applied universally, very few South African teams could barely finish a game with any players!

The card wasn't for the push, it was because of all the shit beforehand, it was just the last straw

It was in the end for being dumb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whilst I agree with that... at the end of the day it was a fucking push. Penalise that don't give a card. Any other push in the game (which there were) should've been carded too.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Sigh.

There is no conspiracy here, no Saffer this Aussie that. It's a simple case getting warned for contact off the ball niggle and not listening.

SA teams have lost players for this kind of nonsense. Plenty times. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they donut. The Tahs did took it to a new level though. I actually rewound a few times to see if I had really just seen that.

Maybe Cheika should take the pre-game gee-up down a notch. They looked too wired for mine last night when all that energy and focus could go into making the tackle or getting back up and into position.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Whilst I agree with that. at the end of the day it was a fucking push. Penalise that don't give a card. Any other push in the game (which there were) should've been carded too.
It is like the new replacement getting carded 30 seconds into his time for his first minor infringement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not having seen the full game yet I'll refrain from discussing the merits of the card.

From what I'm reading, both sides were pushing the laws to the limit and the referee was having trouble controlling things.

I'm a big Cheika fan, but it sounds like the team needs him to set an example in terms of playing smart and not getting sucked in to situations where the Dennis card occurred.

I don't think that the referees have distinguished themselves in this super competition, but that's no excuse for poor discipline. This should be a lesson.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Overall Mike Fraser refereed this game well.

I disagree with the Dennis yellow card but overall Fraser controlled what was a very physical and niggly game very well.

It looked to me like both sides were pushing things pretty equally.

Definitely the most physical game I've seen this year. So many massive tackles.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Dennis just doesn't seem up to being captain.
The Sharks skipper gave him a comprehensive lesson on how and when to communicate with the ref throughout the match.
In the end the ref was either ignoring Dennis's approaches or cutting him off mid sentence.
He needs a quick lesson on body language and how to communicate effectively.

M

Moono75

Tahs had the chance to announce their presence on the wider rugby stage but blew it. Time will tell if they are Tarzan or Jane this season.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Overall Mike Fraser refereed this game well.

I disagree with the Dennis yellow card but overall Fraser controlled what was a very physical and niggly game very well.

It looked to me like both sides were pushing things pretty equally.

Definitely the most physical game I've seen this year. So many massive tackles.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Can't agree with this BH. I thought the ref was completely out of his depth and wasn't able to handle the confrontational elements of the game. Saying that though, I don't think he caused the Tahs to lose the game. That was probably down to their very poor ball handling and control, and the weakness of their lineout and scrum moreso.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can't agree with this BH. I thought the ref was completely out of his depth and wasn't able to handle the confrontational elements of the game. Saying that though, I don't think he caused the Tahs to lose the game. That was probably down to their very poor ball handling and control, and the weakness of their lineout and scrum moreso.

He had issues

Horne and Steyn should have been in the bin at least.

I don't know if it was normal but the TMO seemed to be much more involved with the rough stuff, I don't really know if it is working, I like it catching the rubbish, I don't like the time it takes

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tahs were playing like Cheika used to - wired and niggly. I don't think it works or is a good look.

At the end of the day they weren't good enough. Nothing going on in that backline to trouble anyone.

Also found out our lack of depth in front row. Paddy Ryan packed 5 scrums, gave away 3 penalties for collapsing and in the other two he stood up - which could also have been a penalty.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've seen incidents of "sling" tackles like that adjudged to be dangerous, as far as the Steyn/Beale thing goes, but he's unlikely to get more than a warning despite the clear intent he had to slam Beale into the ground as hard as he could.

Horne is in trouble - foreign player in South Africa who gets cited. I'll bet the local judiciary officers couldn't get on the phone quick enough to put themselves in line.

As for the yellow card - if Fraser thinks it was appropriate. I thought it was a bit soft. However, Bismarck retaliated so deserved the same punishment according to the Laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.