• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v Tahs, round 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Same problems as last year in SA, poor set piece and goal kicking although the second was only really relevant when we were in the game early on. Looked a bit predictable iin attack as well, without Izzy defenders were happy to go one on one. Folaus mere presence in the backline just seems to open space for the other blokes.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tahs had the chance to announce their presence on the wider rugby stage but blew it. Time will tell if they are Tarzan or Jane this season.

Agree. This was there Stormers vs Reds 2011 game. The moment everyone said these guys are the team to beat.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Same problems as last year in SA, poor set piece and goal kicking although the second was only really relevant when we were in the game early on. Looked a bit predictable iin attack as well, without Izzy defenders were happy to go one on one. Folaus mere presence in the backline just seems to open space for the other blokes.

I thought the biggest issues was the lack of ability to provide consistent clean ball at rucks.

Shit slow ball, meant slow wonky pass (above, behind, at their feet), which lead turnovers a phase or two later

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't understand why there is so much consensus that Steyn's professional foul was OK or at least not that bad.

That was a total c$$t act, deliberate, late, with malice and the intent to injure the player. He had the opportunity to effect a normal tackle and chose to sling and ragdoll the player to the ground.

Not going to enter the SA ref discussion - I don't want to be cited.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't understand why there is so much consensus that Steyn's professional foul was OK or at least not that bad.

That was a total c$$t act, deliberate, late, with malice and the intent to injure the player. He had the opportunity to effect a normal tackle and chose to sling and ragdoll the player to the ground.

Not going to enter the SA ref discussion - I don't want to be cited.

Yeah, I agree.

Slinging someone around like that is highly likely to end up with their head slammed into the ground with some force (as we saw).

Personally I don't see much difference in using your arm as the damaging weapon (i.e. Horne) versus using the ground to create the injury.

The result of the two was certainly that Steyn inflicted greater damage on Beale than Horne did on Steyn.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It wasn't an SA ref.

But hey lets not allow a fact like that to stop the continual mud slinging by some against South Afrcian refs...

Dennis showed poor judgement, especially given the high tension in the match. Would expect more from your captain in those situations especially.

Thought the ref was overall okay. He can't tell the players to "calm down a notch" when it was getting pretty willing out there and there's nothing illegal or wrongful going on. He's got some improvement sure - most of them do - but there wasn't anything that said a stand down will be coming his way.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The only mitigating circumstance for Horne was that he seemed, from some angles to hit the ball first, and bounce up to the head, he may get two weeks instead of four.

Steyn's was late and dangerous, two weeks

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
It wasn't an SA ref.

Yeah, I don't care.
The refs can do whatever they like and be from Narnia, I still won't enter the discussion on it. I got all bent and twisted over Berry last week have have since avowed not to concern myself with referees.

The result of the two was certainly that Steyn inflicted greater damage on Beale than Horne did on Steyn.

That's true but I still think that when they come to the judiciary you're looking at 1-2 weeks for Stain and 2-3 for Horne - flying stiff arm to the face is a lot less defensible than a late tackle.

But pointing at one foul to defend another (not saying that's what you're doing but you do see plenty of it online) is stupid and detracts from the discussion.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A pet hate of mine: HTF did three officials miss Steyn's late tackle on Beale? Which brings me to my next point: due to the fact the three blind/mute/deaf monkeys missed it the central bloke had to waste quite a bit of time going over that passage of play on the big screen. The ref went to the big screen a coupla times to check things one of the 3BMs shoulda got. Not good enough.

I used to be a Level 2 touchie in times past, happy to volunteer my time helping out in any Super matches if a TJ/AR finds his eyesight's not up to scratch. The buggers'll get away with nothing, and you'll sure hear me call the offside line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think the assistants did miss the late tackle though.

I think it was an assistant telling Fraser to review the incident on the big screen.

The big change seems to be rather than the assistant providing a report and a recommendation, they just say that it should be looked at.

Given the technology available I'm not against that. It decreases the chance of an assistant either thinking an incident was far more or less severe than it actually was.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
they yellow to dennis was stupid - the touchie should not have called it a push by 6 blue, he moved bismark's arm, and bismark shoved him. If anything they both should have gone for 10.

the one thing that did impress me was Hoper's leadership in that 10 minutes. After the first try watch him command his players to get up, stop fighting, and re-group. it was the first time I saw a tah captain give direction, and the players listen and react.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
He may have slung Beale around but that's legal so the only issue is lateness and a yellow card/citing for that is a joke.

It actually is an illegal tackle. Contact above the armpit line is deemed as high. Seeing as the collar is above that line it is deemed a high tackle.

This issue was bought up in a coaching course I completed about 2 weeks ago.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Collar slings are, by the rule book, high tackles, but they are very inconsistently ruled on.

Steyn's late tackle wasn't a collar sling, though. Beale was slung by the back of the jersey.

Anyone know what the rulings on Steyn and Horne are occurring?

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
they yellow to dennis was stupid - the touchie should not have called it a push by 6 blue, he moved bismark's arm, and bismark shoved him. If anything they both should have gone for 10.

the one thing that did impress me was Hoper's leadership in that 10 minutes. After the first try watch him command his players to get up, stop fighting, and re-group. it was the first time I saw a tah captain give direction, and the players listen and react.
Agree both should have gone for 10.Bismark's reaction was much more than Denis' slight "shove".
Quite funny Hooper telling the players to "fuck off out of here all of you",then the commentator saying that Hooper told them to go away!Hooper definitely should be captain of the Tahs and maybe the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When you look at the Steyn incident, is there any aspect of it that doesn't look like it istended to hurt Beale?

He slings him around and pulls him down from behind with great force such that it is pretty much inevitable that he will both get a whiplash injury of some degree and smash his head into the ground.

I think it is very much intentional foul play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The two judiciary hearings apparently took place yesterday with the findings due to be released soon.

So the comment that Horne got one week could be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.