• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v Tahs, round 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
First time I've seen that 'tackle'....disgraceful. He could even see that the pass was long gone.

Should definitely be a few weeks in the stands.

Pretty similar to a horse-collar tackle in NFL which is also banned.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
@Braveheart81 everytime I see it again, it looks like an intentional body slam after a pass. The key is that Steyn could've easily have pulled out. I now think it definitely should've been a yellow.

The two biggest errors I think the ref made was not giving both Horne and Steyn a yellow. I suspect Steyn's throw was in retalliation to Horne's high shot.

If Beale hadn't passed the ball or Steyn didn't have plenty of opportunity to pull out of the tackle, there would be no issue.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
All I could find was a Georgina Robinson article saying that Horne was suspended.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-beale-under-injury-cloud-20140331-zqotd.html

Horne was handed a one week ban after what appeared to be a high tackle on Sharks No.12 Francois Steyn in a bitter 32-10 loss to the competition leaders at the weekend.

The winger was penalised during the game but later cited for foul play, with the citing commissioner finding the offence met the threshold for a red card.

NSW successfully argued there was no intent in Horne's hit and that his arm first made contact with Steyn's arm before moving up to his neck.

Couldn't find anything on Steyn.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The two biggest errors I think the ref made was not giving both Horne and Steyn a yellow. I suspect Steyn's throw was in retalliation to Horne's high shot.

Agreed. It would have potentially calmed things down if both players had gone to the bin.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Collar slings are, by the rule book, high tackles, but they are very inconsistently ruled on.

Steyn's late tackle wasn't a collar sling, though. Beale was slung by the back of the jersey.

Anyone know what the rulings on Steyn and Horne are occurring?

You know, I watched this game live and again on replay, and both times didn't notice it wasn't by the collar.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
When you look at the Steyn incident, is there any aspect of it that doesn't look like it istended to hurt Beale?

He slings him around and pulls him down from behind with great force such that it is pretty much inevitable that he will both get a whiplash injury of some degree and smash his head into the ground.

I think it is very much intentional foul play.

Was stupid and deserves and should get a sanction.

Frans seemed to mature a lot of late but that was juvenile. He has a hot head though.

The Horne shot was as a real el cheapo though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm surprised Horne only got one week given he was suspended in 2012

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Let's be brutal here: what was the result of these two instances of foul play?

Horne's high tackle was careless and silly, BUT he did go for the ball. If the ball's anywhere near an opponent's head the perpetrator deserves whatever punishment's meted out. Steyn didn't seem to be affected by Rob's silly action, he played on without missing a beat.

Steyn's deliberate action swinging Beale was dangerous play, clearly infringing Law 10.4 (e). The result was an opponent temporarily stunned who spent some time off the field.

If I was the judicial officer the punishments would've been reversed.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
WTF is an off-field Yellow Card?!? Same BS as Horwill's one last year - it means SFA. Honestly, it's a bullshit punishment.

I don't believe for one second that Steyn didn't know that the pass had gone.....that's bullshit.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
WTF is an off-field Yellow Card?!? Same BS as Horwill's one last year - it means SFA. Honestly, it's a bullshit punishment.

I don't believe for one second that Steyn didn't know that the pass had gone...that's bullshit.

It may have importance if a player is cited.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I don't believe for one second that Steyn didn't know that the pass had gone...that's bullshit.

I think if you get two, it is an automatic suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.