• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 QF1: Ireland v Wales (W Pool C v RU Pool D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Player Nicknames

Forgotten some and they keep changing but for instance a team for saturday might be:

15 Halfpenny = Shove
14 North = currently Duw
13 Davies = foxy
12 Roberts = jaw
11 Shane = shane
10 Priestland = vatican
9 Philips = rambo or pykey
8 Faletau = HLF
7 Warburton = Breadman
6 Lydiate = L'idiot
5 AWJ
4 Charteris = Clarteris
3 Jenkins = Melon
2 Bennett
1 A Jones

Isn't Shane Williams 'Ikul'? .......

We've already had a nickname thread. It says somewhere that that thread is closed, but I'm not sure. We also have a Nickname database. Feel Free to add.

Welcome aboard Duncher- Sorry, though, we already have a thread dedicated to this. Feel free to add to our Nickname Database though.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5127-Player-Nick-Names?highlight=nicknames

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/6744-Player-Nick-Names?p=276792&highlight=nicknames#post276792

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
You'd need to register to take a look. A word of advice; for the love of Gareth Edwards, don't go into the Banjo Lounge unprotected. Just don't. You'll thank me later, believe me.

They have a special lounge for us Reds supporters - how nice of them. :lmao:

T

thedubs

Forgotten some and they keep changing but for instance a team for saturday might be:

15 Halfpenny = Shove
14 North = currently Duw
13 Davies = foxy
12 Roberts = jaw
11 Shane = shane
10 Priestland = vatican
9 Philips = rambo or pykey
8 Faletau = HLF
7 Warburton = Breadman
6 Lydiate = L'idiot
5 AWJ
4 Charteris = Clarteris
3 Jenkins = Melon
2 Bennett
1 A Jones

Nice, Newport G Dragons have a decent enough team this year eh?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Isn't Shane Williams 'Ikul'?

What's with you people from the hills and your nickname for everyone business?

I knew a Welsh bloke once who had a nickname for his car, his bike and had a nickname for everyone including his girlfriend.

In a country where half the phone book shares one of about 8 surnames 'fraid it is inevitable

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)

They have a special lounge for us Reds supporters - how nice of them. :lmao:

You've no idea. None. From the virtual village pub, the Glad Ship, where the manager just did six months for offences tactfully left unspecified but which we know involved That End of the village and a masked gerbil, to the unspeakable things done to a Clart and a Munsterman in The Van, all the way through to discussion of how you train monkeys into the cider-fetching equivalent of a guide-dog, the Lounge is simultaneously the funniest and wierdest place on the internewt.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You've no idea. None. From the virtual village pub, the Glad Ship, where the manager just did six months for offences tactfully left unspecified but which we know involved That End of the village and a masked gerbil, to the unspeakable things done to a Clart and a Munsterman in The Van, all the way through to discussion of how you train monkeys into the cider-fetching equivalent of a guide-dog, the Lounge is simultaneously the funniest and wierdest place on the internewt.

Aye to that

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Irish have announced the team:

1. Cian Healy
2. To be announced
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Conor Murray
10. Ronan O'Gara
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Replacements:

16. To be announced
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Eoin Reddan
21. Jonathan Sexton
22. Andrew Trimble

T

The Burner

Irish team is pretty much as expected. Lets hope Rory Best makes it otherwise we are down to 3rd choice hooker in Cronin and his throwing isn’t the best. Its vital for our lineout to function properly. The Backrow battle is fascinating. I declared earlier in the tournament that the Irish Backrow wasn’t a world class unit because they didn’t have the right balance but they have been simply sensational. While O Brien has been getting most of the plaudits, Ferris has been my Irish player of the tournament so far. Massive ball carrier and a hard hitting tackler. He has the lot for a number 6. I expect him to blow Lydiate out of the water this weekend. Where Wales do have an advantage is they have really scavenger in Warburton. Ireland have yet to come up against a team with a genuine 7 so competing at the breakdown with Warburton will be essential. In many ways I can see Ireland adapting a similar approach to the Australia match. They will do everything in the power to stop Wales getting quick ball and try frustrate the life out of them. With O Gara at outhalf we have the perfect player to get good field position.

I was wrong with my last prediction of Australia to beat Ireland so I hope im not wrong with this one!

Ireland 19
Wales 17

R

Rugby Nick

I agree burner ('cept with the score and 'cept that Lydiate is better scavenger than Warburton)

Not in a million years

As I said elsewhere Ferris will never blow Lydiate out of the water. Lydiate is a far more limited 6 than Ferris, lacking the all round skills that ferris has, and is the inferior player (though I have hopes for him as his weaknesses seem to being improved upon). BUT Lydiate has a massive engine and tackles all day, he will not be brushed aside in contact. He is also a damn fine man for clearing rucks, meaning he is unlikely to be blown out of the water their either.

For full on around the field play Ferris will be a better player, but when it comes to collisions I don't see either man making ground off the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.