• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 QF1: Ireland v Wales (W Pool C v RU Pool D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Wales (15-1): Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips; Toby Faletau, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate; Alun-Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris; Adam Jones, Huw Bennett, Gethin Jenkins. Replacements: Lloyd Burns, Paul James, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

Halfpenny at fullback, good call, but one worries about the Goal Kicking without Hook or Stephen Jones.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cheers, can now put faces to the fantasy figures in my dream of us winning.

Went with Davies at centre- as someone here suggested he would. Stuck with Faletau at No 8 too. Fair enough, he's done nothing wrong. Still got Jones and Hook on the bench if Priestland's kicking is awry on the day. trouble is; how many kicks might be missed before he calls for the welly to come on?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Huge call to leave Hook out, might need his goal kicking if Priestland is off target early.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've always liked the Irish but something about them has pissed me off this tournament, perhaps it was beating the Wallabies. Regardless of my heritage, I will be cheering on the Welsh with everything I've got, primarily due to the respect I have for the way they play rugby. Would love to see the English destroyed in the Semi's by either of these teams.

T

thedubs

I've always liked the Irish but something about them has pissed me off this tournament, perhaps it was beating the Wallabies. Regardless of my heritage, I will be cheering on the Welsh with everything I've got, primarily due to the respect I have for the way they play rugby. Would love to see the English destroyed in the Semi's by either of these teams.

:eek: ... :-\ .... :-[ ... :'(

Well. Well I never. Traitor!

R

Rugby Nick

Huge call to leave Hook out, might need his goal kicking if Priestland is off target early.

Halfpenny has a MASSIVE boot on him, far bigger than Hook or Priestland, and is pretty accurate so would be fine as a back up

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Stop making me nervous. I believe!

Jeez CB, you would be a nervous wreck when, or if, a fellow Gaggerlander starts up the RWC QF Wales Jinx Thread.

We would not want to send you into a faux or other apoplectic rage by starting a "Taffys Will Win The Rugby World Cup Thread".

Jinx threads are not unheard of here in Gaggerland, but typically those threads are reserved for a NZRT Bledisloe Cup Jinx (Junx in Keeweese Speak).

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Plastic! Shewerly not ? Not pissed off with Ronan O'gobshite by any chance are you dubs? got a lot of time for the way the Irish keep producing quality teams out of such a small player pool, but quicker O'gara goes the better

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jeez CB, you would be a nervous wreck when, or if, a fellow Gaggerlander starts up the RWC QF Wales Jinx Thread.

We would not want to send you into a faux or other apoplectic rage by starting a "Taffys Will Win The Rugby World Cup Thread".

Jinx threads are not unheard of here in Gaggerland, but typically those threads are reserved for a NZRT Bledisloe Cup Jinx (Junx in Keeweese Speak).

Hugh, we've been jinxing ourselves for years. If we get past the tarmac boys, I'll start the thread as by then the optimism meter will be busted anyway!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Cheers, can now put faces to the fantasy figures in my dream of us winning.

Went with Davies at centre- as someone here suggested he would. Stuck with Faletau at No 8 too. Fair enough, he's done nothing wrong. Still got Jones and Hook on the bench if Priestland's kicking is awry on the day. trouble is; how many kicks might be missed before he calls for the welly to come on?

No, you don't. Dim Count Wellycula ar yr bbenchio.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ireland

I think this will be one of the best games of the tournament.

Ireland have surprised me. As I have mentioned before they had just two good games in the last 12 months before the RWC IMO and their trial form was poor. Even their first RWC game against the USA was problematic.

Against Oz they played their best game since against England in 6N and they looked handy against Italy too. I have written about Ireland on another thread so won't rehash that stuff again, but it is good to see SOB getting the plaudits he deserves now. I said before the RWC that he will be one of the stars of the tournament and I think it will be close to the mark. The comment didn't resonate with some folks on the forum who hadn't seen a lot of him before, but I'm sure they appreciate his quality now – yet he is playing out of position.

Most of the Ireland team are playing well. 1. Healey is scrummaging better than I thought he would and Ross is keeping his form as one of the best THPs in Europe. The scrum contest against Wales, who have the heaviest pack in the RWC, will be interesting - provided Ireland can keep Court off the field for a long time.

I'm pleased to say that my prediction that 10. ROG would be starting in the money games ahead of Sexton came true, but wrong in a sense because I thought he would start against Oz also.

And by the by: who in Ireland, or any other part of the world, thought that young 9. Conor Murray , probably 4th ranked at Munster 12 months ago (and who played from the bench for the winning Munster dirt-trackers against the Wallabies), would be starting for Ireland in the Quarter Final of the RWC?

The Ireland team is as expected. They have been lucky that they haven't had any major injuries since 7. Wallace was hurt before the team left for NZ, because like Oz, their depth is not great. So long as 13. BOD, 5. POC, 7. SOB and 3. Ross stay healthy they could surprise some people even more than they have already.

I wrote before the RWC that the Leinster and Munster players had so much experience in HC and ML finals that they could turn that into an advantage after the pool stages. That holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.