• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds V Hurricanes, Round 12, 14 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Barrett gets a YC for cynical play after the siren! Reds get one last chance to deny the Canes a BP. Gets intercepted from a Browning pass. Canes go all the way.

Terrible and stereotypically comical Reds end to the game.

They actually played quite well for long periods across most aspects of the game, and probably didn't deserve to go down 29-14, but as usual, the little errors and poor handling let them down, along with some really flashy moments from the Canes.

I think they will feel they let themselves down as they were right in the match at 17-14, and just couldn't finish it off. The bench let them down a bit again.

MOTM for the Reds was actually probably CFS. Tui was my pick of the forwards.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Hurricanes designated drivers manage to shambolically find their way home. Helped in no small order by performance of Reds 1st 5 Mcintyre. More like Spacintyre

Perenara might spray a few hazardous passes around but he is almost worth picking just for his goalline D alone

BBarrett kicked like he was not just drunk but also jetlagged and possibly half pregnant.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Have you played fly half mate? It happens to the best of teams. If this happened every game I would have a whinge. I think McIntyre is having a solid game and his kicking has been on fire considering the wind.

Great to see Tuttle get a run with the other reserves. Looking forward to seeing Duncan on the paddock.

I really don't think it's being unfair to say that these errors have been happening too often at this level - I'd say McIntyre himself would probably be the first to agree. They may be acceptable at club level but this is Super Rugby. It didn't happen to the Canes at all, or the Crusaders last week. It rarely happens at Super level. But last week he got a conversion charged down and this week very nearly cost a try through getting charged down in goal, and both last week and this week he kicked out on kickoff. Last week it resulted in the Macilai try through Magnay.

Tuttle looked really good I thought. Duncan P didn't really get much opportunity unfortunately.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
And here's why drugs are a bad idea. McIntyre has been garbage - again - and the 'canes have benefitted more from his presence on the field than his team-mates.

But hey, what a star he was for The Bottomgrasp College 1st XV!

I thought he was much improved in the first 20 minutes. But unfortunately he and the rest of the Reds soon reverted to past patterns.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
MOTM for the Reds was actually probably CFS. Tui was my pick of the forwards.

I am going to have to watch the game again, when he scored the try I instantly thought I hope the selectors/coaches don't over look the many many mistakes and lack of effort he made earlier in the game due to one try.

I thought he had a really poor game and wondered why we persisted with him.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I'll watch it again too with special focus on CFS, but I actually thought he had the best game I've seen him play.

Not just the try either, though that was an excellent bit of running. But even before the try I was thinking he was doing well, or at least better than in previous weeks. I will re-assess with the replay!

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
I feel sorry for McIntyre because he obviously isn't up to playing at this level.
I keep hearing/reading comments like this from people on here and yet our co-interim head coaches keep picking him. To start and play 70+ mins each week no less.

Given that both Matt O'Connor and Nick Stiles are quite experienced coaches at this level, I'd be inclined to think that they probably have a better idea of who's up to Super Rugby standard and who's not than some online keyboard warriors like us.

I think we need to cut McIntyre and the other (very) young Reds some slack. We can't make the finals so what's the harm in giving McIntyre time to get some Super Rugby experience?

I can't remember Foley/Carter/Cooper/To'omua/etc's first season of Super Rugby but we're they instantly recognised as being stars or did it take a little time for the talent to shine through?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
This is making the rebels v brumbies game from last night look enteretaining in hindsight..and I described that game as ponderous. Canes having a horrible night, their worst performance of the year by a long way - and still in front!
No the Brumbies beat them by 50 ish.. take the light blue eyes off...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

G

galumay

No the Brumbies beat them by 50 ish.. take the light blue eyes off.

You are right, I forgot they had another shocker against the donkeys. Doesnt really change the perception much, "Canes having a horrible night, their 2nd worst performance of the year by a long way - and still in front!"

BTW, its rugby eyes, not light blue eyes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'll watch it again too with special focus on CFS, but I actually thought he had the best game I've seen him play.

Not just the try either, though that was an excellent bit of running. But even before the try I was thinking he was doing well, or at least better than in previous weeks. I will re-assess with the replay!

Nah im with liquor box here. He did do some things well and that try is the type of stuff we've been waiting for. And I thought it was him clearing up a late canes kick through rather than Goro as called by the commentators? That was good hustle regardless.

But I still think he's average. Look at him in that first Canes try. He doesn't even try to run the attack down. Just jogs after them.

Then the dropped Ant ball. I will tell you why that happened because not too long ago I was coaching under 8s. He wasn't carrying the ball in two hands. Just had it tucked in one hand and so when it came time to pass it he just hurled it off instead of setting up the next runner with a decent pass.

Jake was much better this game but 10 remains a weakness for us as you can't win consistently without a capable flyhalf. Fullback and CFS were our other weaknesses.

Once again I was very impressed with Magnay. His and Kerevi in the centres (some how) is pretty exciting.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I keep hearing/reading comments like this from people on here and yet our co-interim head coaches keep picking him. To start and play 70+ mins each week no less.

Given that both Matt O'Connor and Nick Stiles are quite experienced coaches at this level, I'd be inclined to think that they probably have a better idea of who's up to Super Rugby standard and who's not than some online keyboard warriors like us.

I think we need to cut McIntyre and the other (very) young Reds some slack. We can't make the finals so what's the harm in giving McIntyre time to get some Super Rugby experience?

I can't remember Foley/Carter/Cooper/To'omua/etc's first season of Super Rugby but we're they instantly recognised as being stars or did it take a little time for the talent to shine through?
One of QC (Quade Cooper)'s first starting games was a massive upset of the Bulls in 2008(?) - they put 40 points on them.

We're still waiting for McIntire to show us something like that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He does some good work at times going forward when he feels like it, but the rest of his game is distinctly lacking, he just doesn't hustle.

Watch his efforts to get back in support, running dummy lines, chasing kicks etc

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Once again I was very impressed with Magnay. His and Kerevi in the centres (some how) is pretty exciting.

Magnay still has some issues to sort out but given his experience he looks pretty good.

How big is he? He looks bloody huge, very tall and broad shouldered and looks like he could still fill out a bit.

He would great with Kerevi in the centres but can he distribute the ball?

It is nice to consider we could field a team where 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13 and 14 are 100kg+ Hunt at 15 would be close to 100kg I would imagine.

It is good but we need guys who can kick in general play and aso an inside centre who is good distributing the ball

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
For mine there are some very big legacy issues with the Reds that are the left overs from Graham and maybe Cordingley.

The backrow with Tui and Browning just lacks a bit of balance and effectiveness for me, and even though they get to many breakdowns early they have little presence, and apart from startling open space runs Browning and Tui have little impact in carries. Indeed they look much like the Tahs with an aged Palu and Mumm. except opposition still try to avoid Palu a bit.

Goromaru - I am very disappointed, I along with so many others was captivated by his performances at the RWC. At the Reds he has failed to achieve anything near what we know he is capable of, why? Has he been Grahamised?
CFS - I have been waiting for what seems like years for the brilliance of this much hyped youngster to show itself. Still waiting and IMO looking for another youngster like Magnay who demonstrates some urgency and desire to actually be there would be better than continuing to put half arsed CFS out there.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
wft is going on with Goromaru? havent been following too closely but from the outside it(s looked like this:

RD1 came off subs bench but did fuckall
RD2 started but on D just kept drifting further and further back letting his wingers and other backs do the shitwork and all the tackling. Invisible. On attack, refused to enter the line. Fuck ya then if you don't want to know...
RD3 bench
RD4 bench
RD5 bench
RD6 not even in 23, in the stands
RD7 not even in 23, in the stands
RD8 not even in 23, in the stands
RD9 concession stands
RD10 concession stands
RD11 at home on the playstation
RD12 started, but only cos Hunt's injured, potted a couple of goals but gutless on D and offered only a token couple of runs on attack when he had no other option and couldn't quibble out of it and couldn't find his note from matron (gah!, it's in my other shorts!)

Highest paid player in world rugby? Off to Toulon? Fuck me he'd get muntered at Auckland schools 1st XV B grade if he played like he has at the Reds this season.

Summary: Doesn't really want to know.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For mine there are some very big legacy issues with the Reds that are the left overs from Graham and maybe Cordingley.

The backrow with Tui and Browning just lacks a bit of balance and effectiveness for me, and even though they get to many breakdowns early they have little presence, and apart from startling open space runs Browning and Tui have little impact in carries. Indeed they look much like the Tahs with an aged Palu and Mumm. except opposition still try to avoid Palu a bit.

Goromaru - I am very disappointed, I along with so many others was captivated by his performances at the RWC. At the Reds he has failed to achieve anything near what we know he is capable of, why? Has he been Grahamised?
CFS - I have been waiting for what seems like years for the brilliance of this much hyped youngster to show itself. Still waiting and IMO looking for another youngster like Magnay who demonstrates some urgency and desire to actually be there would be better than continuing to put half arsed CFS out there.

that would seem to be one of the most inaccurate assessments I've seen on this site for a while. Have you watched many Reds games this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.