• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds V Hurricanes, Round 12, 14 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd like to see a few more games before passing any judgement on Magnay at this level. I don't think that game was really enough to judge either way, he had some positives and some negatives in a very poor team performance.

He certainly has the size and the pace to be a VERY effective player at this level. Whether he lives up to that potential will depend on how his rugby brain develops and his enthusiasm. It's all about developing the former while preventing the decline in the latter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find it hard to say Magnay wasn't one of the Reds best backs last weekend despite a couple of mistakes.

The glaring error was on defence from that first Crusaders try but realistically the only way he makes a tackle there is if the Crusaders stuffed up.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't disagree, but saying he was one of the Reds' best in that shambles of a game really isn't saying much.

Interestingly I just read on the Reds FB page that Hunt has been carrying a groin injury for a few weeks. Might explain why his performance has dropped off the last few games after a very promising start to the season.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Well the Canes have dropped Savea brothers, Jane, Vito and Eves from the bench, apparently they were 18 minutes late getting home in SA last week, no problems, not pissed or playing up just late home. Good news for Reds, and Canes knowing they maintain standards of team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well the Canes have dropped Savea brothers, Jane, Vito and Eves from the bench, apparently they were 18 minutes late getting home in SA last week, no problems, not pissed or playing up just late home. Good news for Reds, and Canes knowing they maintain standards of team.

Maybe they wanted to rest a few players and didn't want to get accused of taking the Reds lightly? ;)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Hasn't come out how management found out. Think they knew about it before Saturday's game, but couldn't stand 5 players down as they didn't have enough players on tour. Anyway, I still pleased they hitting them for minor stuff, gives everyone the message.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If they broke curfew the night before a game then standing them down is absolutely the right thing to do. I had just assumed that they went out the night after the game and on that basis, standing them down for being 18mins late seemed a little harsh. That makes much more sense.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
That would be awesome because, other than dropping the ball from the kick-off and that misread in defense, he was close to our best.

He was our biggest meter gainer in attack (70 with Hunt's 49 the next).
He had the most metres per carry (10m per carry, with Hunt's 8.17 the next)
He was the only player, along with Gilly, who made a clean break (both did two).
He conceded one turnover but that was less than CFS, Ant, Eto and Pickle and the same as Jake.
He was the only back to win a turn over.

And broader than just stats, his enthusiasm and energy was eye catching especially compared with many of his more experienced team mates in the backline.
I also noted that, immediately after dropping the kick off, he instantly reacted to recover the situation. From memory he made two driving tackles, one of which he drove the ball carrier backwards 5-10 metres.

He made some mistakes, but the effort was clearly there and I thought he showed enough to suggest he could contribute at super level.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
One of the things that impressed me most about Mango was the effort he put in to cover big ground in cover defence. Wasn't far off putting in a couple of big try savers. Refreshing change after seeing CFS pretty much give up on a few recently.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
CFS must be putting in some serious effort at training to still be gaining a spot in the team.

Like I said last week I just hope we show signs of improvement - I'm not expecting miracles in away games.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
I wonder what hairstyle he'll have this week. Personally I loved the Red Mohawk.

I think a Suebian Knot will look a treat on the giant ranga man. It'll show those poncy civilised types he's here for the fight.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
(If they broke curfew the night before a game then standing them down is absolutely the right thing to do. I had just assumed that they went out the night after the game and on that basis, standing them down for being 18mins late seemed a little harsh. That makes much more sense. )
No Scoey, they didn't break curfew by 18 minutes night before game, it was Tuesday night, had no training on Wednesday, but Boyd said the standard had to be set. I applaud him for it, and think it reinforces the idea that you must have discipline within the team.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I think they are trying to fabricate a 'turning point in the season' for a side who have not been as consistent as they need to be to win the title.

Question is, if they were facing NZ opposition would they have come to the same decision?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We'll never know but as poor as the Reds are, it's still a huge fucking gamble. I doubt it's an elaborate ploy to rest a few blokes. Easier for a couple of them to just get 'minor strains' etc.

Nope, hats off to them. Should be more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.