• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper and Summer Digressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This photo baffles me, how good is his balance/coordination? to allow him to carry the ball like that

ItavAus--4--600x400.jpg

TOCC, I'll see your Quade Cooper in attack and raise you Quade Cooper in defence:

606205-quade-cooper.jpg

This photo also baffles me, how good is his balance/coordination? to allow him to make an absolute tool of himself like that.

Shades of Rudolf Nureyev.

U

undercoverkiwi

Thanks.

Thanks.

Missed your game at the weekend, was watching England sputter past Samoa in a pub in Dublin before the Blackness came out and trundled a few tries past Ireland.

How was Jaquade?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Quade was alright actually. I didn't notice too many defensive stuff ups and he controlled the game fairly well from 10. It wasn't a particularly edifying spectacle, but the boys got the job done.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
This photo baffles me, how good is his balance/coordination? to allow him to carry the ball like that

ItavAus--4--600x400.jpg

Ashton ran with the ball gripped like that as well when he zoomed the length of the field for that try...

Chris+Ashton+England+v+Australia+UujIWxKXhpul.jpg

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
SBW and Chambers do the same I think(?) Mungo offloading technique isn't it?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
SBW and Chambers do the same I think(?) Mungo offloading technique isn't it?

They actually train to do it in RL

Link on ruggamatrix talked about Gasnier's using the same skill and how he wanted to have his Paris teammates practise it/learn it

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Samo technique used to be a beauty. It is bloody frustrating though going down to training on a Tuesday afternoon and see all your under 12's side trying to do it with their little hands.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Problem with Cooper is that he generally holds the ball in two hands when attacking the line. Actually it clearly isn't a problem as he is always ready to give the pass. The real problem is that the ball, even in contact stays in those two hands and away from his body, he is always looking for the pass. It is what leads the ball to be turned over when he is tackled. He can't secure it tight enough, particularly if he falls on the wrong side.

It is both good and bad, but he still has some learning to do.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The Samo technique used to be a beauty. It is bloody frustrating though going down to training on a Tuesday afternoon and see all your under 12's side trying to do it with their little hands.

The difference between Samo and Cooper, is that Samo actually held the ball in the palm of his hand, like an apple. Whereas Cooper and the rest of guys who love losing the ball in contact tuck the ball between their hand, wrist, forearm.

radike-samo.jpg

T

TOCC

Its funny, in American Football they are taught to hold the ball running parallel down the forearm with one point been held firmly between the bicep and forearm and the other end been anchored with hand... Apparently it's the safest carrying technique

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think this technique that Ashton and Cooper are using might have something to do with speed as well as ability to flick pass. It might give a more free running gait that is closer to your top speed without a pill, than tucking it under the arm.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Spot on Scotty, it's all about the flick pass. Can't do it holding the ball any other way.

I was also a fan of Samo and his big mitt waving the ball about. Not really percentage footy, but entertaining nonetheless.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Its funny, in American Football they are taught to hold the ball running parallel down the forearm with one point been held firmly between the bicep and forearm and the other end been anchored with hand... Apparently it's the safest carrying technique

Apropos of nothing, it's also how women are taught to breastfeed in the US. It's called, funnily enough, the footballer hold.

I don't why I brought that up. Hmmmmm.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

I was taught to carry into contact the same, makes it harder for the opposition to rip the ball away.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was taught to carry the ball in two hands as much as possible, as it opened up the possibility of passing from either side and had the added effect of making the defender in front stop dead, because they didn't know which direction you were going to move in next.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I was taught to squeeze that motherfucker tight and not let go.

That and long place (maybe egg-laying) are all a prop need.

Actually TBH they did say something about blah blah both hands blah challenge line blah create opportunities. I was busy counting clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.