• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I'm not one eyed at all. Rod Davies is one of the best wingers in the Super 15, without question and is a very important cog in the Reds backline. He would certainly be a loss if he was injured and the thousands of fans that come see him play at Suncorp would be disappointed. My point still stands - he is an impressive winger in rugby where in league he would struggle with the power game required.

I tend to agree that the leaner faster wingers probably have more place in rugby union compared to the NRL, like you say, the NRL is all about big powerful wingers who can hug the touchline and crash the ball over from 5m out, different story for fullback(ie slater) although most NRL clubs like to have a ball playing fullback or semi quasi 5/8.

Getting back to Kemp, if he signed, he has potential and i envisage he would play a similar style of game to Davies, but im unsure of his union background and would he really be able to transition effectively between the codes mid-season?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
League wingers are generally expected to hit a few balls up early in the tackle count from deep in heir own half. League wingers are a big mix and size, shape and speed these days.

Edit: the type of player that Davies is definitely lends him more to Union than League.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Slater is unlike many of the fullbacks though in that he is an probably the most elusive runner and not much of a ball player (getting better). Whereas Hayne gidley bowen stewart boyd Hohaia barba, can and have played five eight if im not mistaken. Lockyer is a prime example of this as well.

Slater is a freak and competitive as fuck. Love watching the storm just to see Cronk and Slater tear it up.

I haven't seen that much of Kemp but from looking him up, he was from soccer stock before transferring to league, he can goalkick and has decent size but I would prefer them to sign up a player like Nicky Price rather than Kemp

T

TOCC

sounds like a done deal, Kemp to join the Rebels, good to see he will be joining Parra

THE Melbourne Rebels put Brisbane Broncos back Denan Kemp through a secret medical assessment yesterday and the club is likely to announce his signing within the next 24 hours.

He would become the fourth NRL player to join the new Super Rugby franchise along with Jarrod Saffy, Cooper Vuna and Luke Rooney.

And once the deal is finalised he will also play for the battling Parramatta Two Blues in a very positive step for the Sydney premiership.

It is anticipated Kemp will make his rugby debut on the wing in the Shute Shield game against Randwick at Granville Park on Saturday.

The 23-year-old punctured his lung scoring a match-winning try in the first NRL round of 2010 against Newcastle and missed the rest of the season.

He was also injured during this year's pre-season competition and then found himself playing with the Wynnum-Manly feeder club.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The Broncos gave Kemp permission to negotiate with the Rebels because of the high regard in which he is held at the club.

And securing Kemp would be a major coup for Parramatta, who did not win a game last year.

"All going well he will be training with the Rebels from tomorrow and will be up here on Thursday to train with us and turn out on Saturday," said Parramatta coach Glen Christini.

"It's a fairly significant signing and outcome if it all comes together."

Besides having a good turn of speed Kemp is an accomplished kicker.s in general play.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...melbourne-rebels/story-e6frep5x-1226034433992

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks FP. Its great that he is playing for Parra as well. I wonder how much TPN had to do with that.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
From watching the highlights video, Kemp didn't seem to be that great. BUT 20 tries in 28 games is a ridiculous return. He probably is better suited for union, although he didn't seem to be as keen to pin his ears back and go for the outside which I would of like to have seen him do in a couple of situations.

This signing seems to show a lack of faith from the rebels management in their younger players. I know they have alot of injuries but that's the point of a squad. I would have liked to see Betham, Du Plessis & Taumoepeau get given some more opportunities.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Probably very little. I am going to guess the parra bit is either a media stunt (actually, all of it kind of smells like that to me) or because the bloke is originally from out that way.

A

Army_Gav

From watching the highlights video, Kemp didn't seem to be that great. BUT 20 tries in 28 games is a ridiculous return. He probably is better suited for union, although he didn't seem to be as keen to pin his ears back and go for the outside which I would of like to have seen him do in a couple of situations.

This signing seems to show a lack of faith from the rebels management in their younger players. I know they have alot of injuries but that's the point of a squad. I would have liked to see Betham, Du Plessis & Taumoepeau get given some more opportunities.
Valid point. However, when you factor in Vuna eventually moving to inside centre, it does make some sense. Although if Diggers returns to VIC, this could make it interesting. JP still has some work, defensively, but is a keeper long term.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not opposed to getting more people playing rugby, and lowish profile converts like this bloke, saffy and vuna are I think the way to go about it.

Perhaps some of the aforementioned players might need a little more development time; maybe they're being earmarked for more inside positions. I dunno.

I would be happier if it was someone who could play as a forward being recruited though. AFAIK that's where most of our 'international' players have a position and we need to be looking to finding their replacements.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Scored a bucketload of tries for the Broncos in 2008. Took the big money to go to the Warriors after only 1 year.

Realised NRL wasn't as easy when he wasn't playing in a backline with Lockyer, Hodges, Boyd and Karmichael. Got dropped by the Warriors after Round 5 and played 2nd tier in New Zealand for the rest of the year. Ended up signing to come back to the Broncos for the 2010 season.

Punctured his lung at the start of the 2010 in a game and was out of action for awhile. Played QLD Cup mostly the rest of the year. Hasn't been able to get a run in the Broncos team this year so once again he has "taken his ball and went home".

[video=youtube;4nZI7EJKAkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZI7EJKAkQ[/video]

A

Army_Gav

I'm not opposed to getting more people playing rugby, and lowish profile converts like this bloke, saffy and vuna are I think the way to go about it.

Perhaps some of the aforementioned players might need a little more development time; maybe they're being earmarked for more inside positions. I dunno.

I would be happier if it was someone who could play as a forward being recruited though. AFAIK that's where most of our 'international' players have a position and we need to be looking to finding their replacements.
Not really, most of the forwards have young replacements. Tessman, Weeks, Davidson, Jones...

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
We might have 8 forwards of local origin. Which means little depth and no competition for spaces.

Put it this way: Cipriani is the only player that I can think of not able to play for australia in the backs. Since we have a boatload of internationals and only one in the backs, that leads me to believe the rest are in the forwards.

Our internationals expire pretty quickly; if they're in the forwards primarily, we should focus on recruiting more good forwards.

Also, everyone knows forwards win games :)

A

Army_Gav

We might have 8 forwards of local origin. Which means little depth and no competition for spaces. Cipriani is the only player that I can think of not able to play for australia in the backs. Which means the rest of our signings are in the forwards. Which means that is where we should be worried about getting kids.
Cipriani play for Australia??? He has 7 caps for England. Also, aren't foreign players restricted to a 2 year playing period in Super Rugby?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I edited that post because I thought it might be a bit confusing. However, I am pretty sure that I clearly said (and can see it in the quote) "not able to play for australia". I refer to my edited post, I think it conveys things a bit clearer.

A

Army_Gav

I edited that post because I thought it might be a bit confusing. However, I am pretty sure that I clearly said (and can see it in the quote) "not able to play for australia". I refer to my edited post, I think it conveys things a bit clearer.
Misread it sorry. JP played U18 for the Boks.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
U18 doesn't count, see Rathbone, Clyde. JPdP will qualify after 3 years of continious residence.

Only the first and second all ages team count in XVs, and the first team in 7s.

I put up a summary of eligibility rules in our wiki
International Rugby Eligibility Rules

A

Army_Gav

U18 doesn't count, see Rathbone, Clyde. JPdP will qualify after 3 years of continious residence.

Only the first and second all ages team count in XVs, and the first team in 7s.

I put up a summary of eligibility rules in our wiki
International Rugby Eligibility Rules
Thought that might of been the case, depends if he still harbours dreams of a green and gold jersey.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
He'd be playing in South Africa if he had that goal.

I suspect you'll find that there are many reasons why he left South Africa; Playing League was probably the lowest on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.