• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu Wilsons Gloves

Stan Wickham (3)
Two I am led to believe, I hope this is just more bull$hit from the blogosphere, remember we were meant to be signing Freddie according to reports a couple of weeks ago. I think some people just put 2 & 2 together and come up with complete rubbish. It is a shame we can't sign him on for longer having watched him at the ground he was a class above young Lambie. You need to have a very good 1st five at super rugby to succeed, he makes a real difference to our team.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Huxley, Cipriani and Vuna lead the competition for missed tackles. Pathetic.

Only because QC (Quade Cooper) has been hidden away from the defensive duties.

How muny of Vuna's misses were in the 1st week when he was played at centre? I am yet to see an ex-league player (even if Vuna start off in Rugby professional training takes a long time to change if the individual can change that immediate instinct that has been developed) who can play in the centres in the first couplee of years after the change. The list of failures is huge. Before anybody nominates SBW, he did a long apprenticeship to get to the centres and his first games there he was pretty average. It isn't usuually one on one tackling that is the issue but instead positioning and working in conjunction with the other members of the backline.

It is a massive issue that the Rebs have three of the worst defenders in the comp. though and all sstarting. On the other haand it is testament to how good their backrow in particular has been in scrambling to cover the breaks made against these three.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great News

Melbourne Rebels hooker Adam Freier is set to return from injury in trial match for Melbourne Unicorns

* By Melissa Woods
* AAP
* March 18, 2011 1:16PM

It's a far cry from a hallowed ground like Twickenham but the location isn't important to Melbourne Super Rugby hooker Adam Freier.

The tough Wallabies rake will play his first game on Saturday since surgery in October on his back, which has troubled him for the past two years.

Freier knocked back the opportunity to play for Sydney club Randwick in favour of a run with the Melbourne Unicorns, who will play a Victorian state selection match on a suburban Melbourne ground.

"I could have played in Sydney but decided to put back into Victorian rugby," the 30-year-old said.

"I think the last match I played there was 50,000 at Homebush and I dare say there won't be that many at Northern Oval."

Freier played 99 Super matches for NSW and 25 Test caps before his recruitment by the Rebels, although he only managed 30 minutes of game time last season due to the injury.

He hopes the trial match will be a springboard back into the Melbourne line-up for their round six Super match against the Hurricanes.

With the Rebels' injury toll mounting, his comeback couldn't come at a better time.

"There will be a few people watching and they'll make the call about next week," said Freier, who still has World Cup ambitions.

"It's been baby steps and this is one that's hopefully going to lead into next week.

"I'm really sick of watching rugby in a suit."

Freier said his time on the sidelines had been frustrating but he'd enjoyed watching the devotion of Melbourne fans to their new side.

"To sit there when they were chanting 'Rebels' after the loss to the Sharks was a very strange feeling.

"I was actually smiling after a loss, not that I was happy with losing."

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's things like that show why Freier was such a good signing. Even if he hasn't got onto the park just yet, his community work has been absolutely immense. I hope they keep him on in some sort of coaching capacity when he retires.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It's things like that show why Freier was such a good signing. Even if he hasn't got onto the park just yet, his community work has been absolutely immense. I hope they keep him on in some sort of coaching capacity when he retires.

Which given the way he seems to be going will be very soon. All round great guy but injuries have cruelled the last few years.

M

MorrisMinor

Great News

And he got owned in that game....the gee long hooker smoked him. Old man. Should coach and motivate. He is soooooooo slow around the park and has lost his edge or ability to make an impact!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You don't think it's a little harsh writing him off after a low key return from a long injury break in a Melbourne club match?

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
And he got owned in that game....the gee long hooker smoked him. Old man. Should coach and motivate. He is soooooooo slow around the park and has lost his edge or ability to make an impact!

Give the guy some time. Few thought Mortlock would get some form back.

Although TBH I can't see him getting back the 2 jersey given Ged's current form. So I think he'll probably be a bench player for the latter part of the season and next year. Hopefully by then, one of the young guns they've recruited will have stepped up and be challenging Ged.

B

Boomy

Denan Kemp (Broncos) exploring rugby union options.

Brisbane Broncos winger Denan Kemp considering mid-season switch to Super Rugby's Melbourne Rebels

Brisbane Broncos' surplus of young wing talent could force Denan Kemp to switch codes to Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby franchise.

Kemp, 23, has been given permission by the Broncos to talk to the Rebels, who have been hard hit by injuries.

The Rebels have 10 matches left in the home-and-away season, including Saturday night's match against Western Force in Perth.

Kemp was named to play fullback for Broncos affiliate Wynnum-Manly in Saturday's round-three Intrust Super Cup match against Souths Logan at Kougari Oval.

But Broncos general manager of football operations Andrew Gee confirmed on Friday night that Kemp was considering a code switch.

"Denan is a talented footballer with nearly 50 NRL games to his credit," Gee said.

"But the way things have worked out, the younger blokes have got the jump on him."

Dane Gagai, 20, and Jharal Yow Yeh, 21, were wingers in rounds one and two and when Gagai was injured Gerard Beale, 20, was preferred to Kemp.

With fullback Josh Hoffman ruled out of Friday night's match against Penrith, Beale moved to fullback with Dale Copley, 19, the new winger.

Kemp, a former soccer player, is a fine kicker and could be suited to union.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1226032409933?from=public_rss

T

TOCC

meh, im not a fan of Kemp, his handling is erratic and he struggled at reading the game in rugby league, i cant imagine he will be much better in union

he is pretty quick and has fast feet as well

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The thing I love about rugby is that someone like Rod Davies would have no impact in league because he isn't built like a brick shithouse to truck the ball up every set of 6. But in rugby he is a superstar winger, who can play to his strengths.

Btw - good win Rebels, I don't think many would have thought they would have won more games than the Brumbies by this stage in the competition. First away win, On ya!

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
The thing I love about rugby is that someone like Rod Davies would have no impact in league because he isn't built like a brick shithouse to truck the ball up every set of 6. But in rugby he is a superstar winger, who can play to his strengths.

Btw - good win Rebels, I don't think many would have thought they would have won more games than the Brumbies by this stage in the competition. First away win, On ya!

I know you're a little one eyed Reddy!, but 'superstar winger' is a bit rich. We can maybe start thinking about possibly considering calling him that if he gets a call up for the wobs.

As I said above. I'll believe the hype when it actually happens. I'm surprisingly happy with the Reb's recruitment in most positions despite thinking that they'd done poorly at the start of the season. So, if he's good enough, they'll bother with him.

T

TOCC

Below is his highlight's reel from 2008, he was quite superb during that season but also benefited from been on the end of a a very good broncos backline.
He signed a big deal with NZ in 2009 but couldn't crack the starting side, returned to Brisbane last year but still hasnt been able to crack the starting side even though the Broncos have some pretty young guys on the wings.

[video=youtube;4nZI7EJKAkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZI7EJKAkQ[/video]

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I know you're a little one eyed Reddy!, but 'superstar winger' is a bit rich. We can maybe start thinking about possibly considering calling him that if he gets a call up for the wobs.

As I said above. I'll believe the hype when it actually happens. I'm surprisingly happy with the Reb's recruitment in most positions despite thinking that they'd done poorly at the start of the season. So, if he's good enough, they'll bother with him.

I'm not one eyed at all. Rod Davies is one of the best wingers in the Super 15, without question and is a very important cog in the Reds backline. He would certainly be a loss if he was injured and the thousands of fans that come see him play at Suncorp would be disappointed. My point still stands - he is an impressive winger in rugby where in league he would struggle with the power game required.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not one eyed at all. Rod Davies is one of the best wingers in the Super 15, without question and is a very important cog in the Reds backline. He would certainly be a loss if he was injured and the thousands of fans that come see him play at Suncorp would be disappointed. My point still stands - he is an impressive winger in rugby where in league he would struggle with the power game required.
Perhaps a better assessment than Superstar, just yet!! I like the passion though, Reddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.