• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
15000 I think for the second game and 15126 for the third. This was coming off the 25000 they got for the first.

The crowd in melbourne is crazy tho. I love their passion. I think I might pop down for a game just because of it.

T

TOCC

The ARU has given them extra marquee players. While other teams are allowed only 2 (one a development player), the Rebels are allowed 10 in 2001, 8 in 2012, 6 in 2013 & 4 in 2014. The ARU may consider this enough and not relax the 2 year rule.
Liike I said, that's highly unlikely...
I will bet my house on it that the ARU let them extend contracts for longer then 2 years

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
TOCC
Can i have the keys to your house please . There is absolutely no chance of the two year rule for foreign players being relaxed. And its likely the Rebels will not use their international numbers going forward as its just too expensive compared to signing the best local players.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Pretty clear , you can not sign an international player for more than a two year contract Full Stop. Rebels have already enquired re exceptions to this , it wont happen. Whilst the international flavour of the team at the moment is interesting from a cost perspective it is difficult. You will pay about double the cost for an international player that you do for an equivilent local player. This just doesnt work as a business in the medium term

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The ARU will do whatever is needed to ensure a competitive Melbourne Franchise (or any other Franchise I reckon).

If the Rebels demonstrate they can't source a decent player in a specific position it would be madness to not let them source from o/s

Reactions: daz
T

TOCC

Pretty clear , you can not sign an international player for more than a two year contract Full Stop. Rebels have already enquired re exceptions to this , it wont happen. Whilst the international flavour of the team at the moment is interesting from a cost perspective it is difficult. You will pay about double the cost for an international player that you do for an equivilent local player. This just doesnt work as a business in the medium term

that's absolute nonsense...

Firstly what evidence do have that the Rebels have inquired about this and the ARU has said no?
Secondly, to say that a foreign player is more expensive then a local player is quite naive. Do you really believe Ged Robinson would be on a massive contract, Hoani Macdonald, Tom Chamberlain would be on the same as your standard Australian super 14 contract. You need to remember that New Zealand players on average earn less then there Australian counterparts. Tom Lipman is another one who wouldn't be on anything more then your standard contract. Yes there are some players like Cipriani and Delve who are probably earning bigger dollars, but thats because the Rebels chose to recruit marquee player in both cases.

T

TOCC

its still nonsense regardless, to say that the 2 year rule is set in stone is absolute bullshit, that's like 4 years ago saying that the 'Australian eligible' only policy was set in stone, rules change with market conditions.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Getting a bit worked up aren't you TOCC..? Rules may well change over time due to market conditions but I'm willing to accept BR's insinuation that he has it on good authority that the Rebels were asked and denied..... at least until someone comes up with facts to contradict him. :)

BTW, did the Reds try unsucessfully to get an extension for Braid, or did he just want to go back to NZ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
IIRR I don't think the question of Braid playing for the Reds again arose - at least with Braid. Braid had to play for a NZ team in 2011 to be considered for the NZ RWC squad and playing for an NPC team would be leaving his run too late.

Therefore he had to play for a NZ Super team.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
A whisper on Twitter about Cipriani taking off to Stade Francais to replace Bauxis? Anyone confirm/deny?

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
15000 I think for the second game and 15126 for the third. This was coming off the 25000 they got for the first.

The crowd in melbourne is crazy tho. I love their passion. I think I might pop down for a game just because of it.

Went to my first Rebles game on the weekend, and was surprised by the crowd numbers. AAMI is a good stadium, a little like a smaller Suncorp.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Went to my first Rebles game on the weekend, and was surprised by the crowd numbers. AAMI is a good stadium, a little like a smaller Suncorp.

And the Rebels fans are putting the rest of the country to shame in terms of the atmosphere.

R

Red Rooster

A whisper on Twitter about Cipriani taking off to Stade Francais to replace Bauxis? Anyone confirm/deny?

Stade have already signed Paul Warwick from Munster as a replacement - maybe he is just a back stop and Cipriani is the key - remember James Haskell and Tom Plamer are both there and they are former Wasp's teammates of Cipriani so they would have each others phone numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.