• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianRugby

Wrote some of this on the other thread, but I thought Delve was good. Huxley was good. Defense alignment needs a lot of work. How easy was Mitchell's first try? And the first time the Rebels went wide they made some yards. Vuna never really got a chance to run.

Not a fan of Rooney. I want betham in the 22.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well we started well. The 20 phase play was starting to look very MacQueenesque. I thought the halftime score flattered the Tahs a bit.

Let's face it, they dismantled us. It was a very comprehensive victory by a well drilled team with that showed ruthlessness. Typically the Tahs show that ruthlessness early season, one wonders if they'll be at ruthless at the back end of the season?

At the ground I thought out scrum was strong in the first half, but on e reply it wasn't. Unfortunately they struggled more when weeks came on to th and Sommerville moved to LH.

Robinson was handy around the paddock again but his line out throwing was still dreadful. I never understand why struggling line outs choose to throw to e back?

The locks were most disappointing as was McDonald. Delve and Lipman looked strong and effective at times but were still out muscled.

I agreed with other posters that Cordingly was the problem. Shit house service but he did do a lot of tackling. King deserves a start I reckon.

Hope Hilgendorf is ok. They missed him. Cips tried hard and tackled quite well at times but had no one to pass to a few times.

Vuna will learn from this experience. He really didn't have any space after the first 15 mins and even then not much. Barnes cut him down every time. Again shows why Australia needs barnes at 12. He moved up too fast in defense on occasions but hang back on others.

Mitchell was much improved on saders performance though still has defense positioning issues.

Rooney played ok and is a better wing option than some of the young guys.

Huxley, my least favorite Australian player, actually did ok.

Good crowd and was a pleasure to be a part of it.
Bring on the grumbles.

My question is: How many of that crowd will return next weekend? It would great if they could get similar numbers through the gates. So far from those I have heard from they seem to be keeping upbeat about the team which is good.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Kingi definitely needs to start, Cordingly was deadset average. I wouldn't mind Saffy being given a go, from what I saw of him in the NRL he will offer the impact the Rebels are lacking in the forwards, definitely a better option than McDonald.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kingi definitely needs to start, Cordingly was deadset average. I wouldn't mind Saffy being given a go, from what I saw of him in the NRL he will offer the impact the Rebels are lacking in the forwards, definitely a better option than McDonald.

The A game was impressive with Kingi, Davidson, JP and Betham playing well.

The players I'd most like to see put into the 22 at this stage are Davidson (surely he could play 6?) and JP. We need more genuine strike weapons on the wings.

No need for any huge whiplash selections right now but I'd like to see some of the bench players works into the XV (perhaps a change at 6, 9 and on a wing) and the A players above moved onto the bench.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
The A game was impressive with Kingi, Davidson, JP and Betham playing well.

The players I'd most like to see put into the 22 at this stage are Davidson (surely he could play 6?) and JP. We need more genuine strike weapons on the wings.

No need for any huge whiplash selections right now but I'd like to see some of the bench players works into the XV (perhaps a change at 6, 9 and on a wing) and the A players above moved onto the bench.

What was the score? Hopefully, those boys managed to play themselves in the 22 for next week as they could potentially add the spark the Rebs need.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What was the score? Hopefully, those boys managed to play themselves in the 22 for next week as they could potentially add the spark the Rebs need.

Rebel Rising 36 - Aussie Babas 26.

Notable because this was a Rebels A side with many many more Victorians then we saw against Brumbies A and they came from a 10ish point deficit.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I do not understand the continued support for Huxley. Yes he didn't do anything that bad but he offers nothing in attack, just a big boot which the Tahs took quick throws from. If he remains at fullback the opposition will have no fear of kicking long, they will either get the ball back from a kick and have the Rebs fowards all in front of Huxley, or be able to easily defend his running it back.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think it's fair to condemn him on last nights game. After the tah's pigs got the upper hand the rebs were under siege for the rest of the game.
No fullback in the comp will impress running it back on his own.All fullbacks need options when taking the line on, they all need support from their wingers. lets see how he links up in a game where the forwards are evenly matched.Then call for his sacking.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think it's fair to condemn him on last nights game. After the tah's pigs got the upper hand the rebs were under siege for the rest of the game.
No fullback in the comp will impress running it back on his own.All fullbacks need options when taking the line on, they all need support from their wingers. lets see how he links up in a game where the forwards are evenly matched.Then call for his sacking.

I am not judging him on this game alone. Things were no different when he played for the Ponies and also in his games in Wallaby Gold. It is the way he plays. Suited to a NH type game maybe, he just doesn't have the pace or tackle breaking/deception skills to be effective on counter attack. The issue is compounded by the limited players he has supporting him I agree.

I should also say that the Rebels need to get rid of Lachie Mitchell. His defence is just not up to standard.

Perhaps if Huxley has the support of an effective counter attack runner he could be retained as he still has one of the biggest boots in Oz Rugby and that can be a real asset at 15. My point is that when that is all you have, coupled with no supporting counter attackers the back three will be a target in every game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Perhaps Hux should play at 10? I think he's got the hands, boot and smarts (i.e. game management) tp play there. I think he's solid at fullback and reliable, but he doesn't light the place up like KB (Kurtley Beale) or Corey Jane. Then again, few blokes do.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Next weeks backline?

9. kingi
10. cips
11. Du Plesis
12. Vuna
13. Mortlock
14. Betham/Gerrard (if hes back)
15. Huxley

yeah or nah?

W

WB3

^ Yeah though I would consider Huxley at 10 as TBH said if Cips continues to have the alleged attitude problems.

Honestly I think they need to generate some quick ball and go forward before the backline becomes an issue. Part of the reason their play was so one out was because they never got anywhere in attack (excepting a few lovely offloads off the inside shoulder).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The Rebels were a bit like Dad's Army and a bit like some players playing in a Baas match.

They should take a leaf out of the Tahs book: keep the defensive pressure on unrelentingly and wait for your turn, and whenever you participate in the contests or on the fringes, think fast and act fast.

The Rebels were too reactive. They waited for what would happen. The exceptions were Lipman and Delve.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hilgendorf out for at least 6 weeks

From Planet Rugby

If the rumours are true, Toulouse fly-half Frédéric Michalak could be heading Down Under to join the Rebels for the Super Rugby season.

The 28-year old Frenchman revealed he was interested in linking with an unnamed Australian team prior to a Top 14 clash over the weekend for his club.

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen, who watched his side go down 43-0 to the Waratahs on Friday, admitted he must look at a replacement for pivot James Hilgendorf who left the field early on after suffering a shoulder injury and will be sidelined for at least six weeks.

The Rebels casualty list didn't get much better with flanker Hoani Macdonald breaking his hand in the match.

Michalak, a playmaking and goal-kicking marvel in 54 Tests for France, appears to be at the top of the queue to replace Hilgendorf after saying he wanted to stay with Toulouse but was keen to move to Australia, where Melbourne has extra latitude to sign up to 10 imports - if his Top 14 club failed to make him a new offer.

Michalak is no stranger to Super Rugby after enjoying a short stint with the Sharks in Durban two years ago.

Meanwhile, Macqueen will replace Hilgendorf with marquee English import Danny Cipriani for Friday's clash with the Brumbies but needs extra depth in the crucial position.

"I would suggest they are things that we have to look at this next week or so," he told AAP.

"We need to get some solid medical advice on where James stands and until we get that and know the enormity of the advice we can't say too much.

"(Michalak) is a good player but that's too early to speculate about."

Cipriani showed some exciting glimpses of his talent on his Super Rugby debut but after the 20-minute mark the Rebels looked clueless in attack under the suffocating weight of the Waratahs defence.

"Danny is fitting in well with the team and while we were disappointed with the result there were some promising signs," Macqueen said.

"But it's shown us the issues we'll have to address."

The Rebels could also be without powerful league recruit Cooper Vuna at AAMI Park after the inside centre also copped a nasty knock to his shoulder, but will give him until Wednesday to prove his fitness.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Rebels look for reinforcements in France
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:48

Frederic Michalak may be a Rebel soon. (c) Getty

The Rebels, still reeling from their 0-43 shut-out on debut against the Waratahs, are looking to France in an attempt to bolster their already paper-thin player resources.

According to Australian media reports mercurial French flyhalf Frederic Michalak could be a potential reinforcement for a Rebels outfit struggling with major injury concerns after just one match.

First-choice flyhalf James Hilgendorf (shoulder) is set to be sidelined for at least six weeks, while flank Hoani Macdonald (fractured hand) could also miss close to two months of the season.

The full extent of both players' injuries are yet to be confirmed, but there is little doubt Rebels coach Rod Macqueen faces a few posers.

English import Danny Cipriani is set to start in the Round Two encounter with the Brumbies on Friday, but Macqueen is clearly looking at reinforcements for the Melbourne-based newcomers.

Michalak, a play-making and goal-kicking star in 54 Tests for France, is reported to be the leading candidate - after he revealed he was interested in linking with an unnamed Australian team.

The 28-year-old, plagued by injuries in the past year, made the comment to the French press just before playing his second match in his comeback for Toulouse, where his contract is about to expire.

Michalak said he wanted to stay with Toulouse, but was keen to move to Australia, where Melbourne has extra latitude to sign up to 10 imports, if his Top 14 club failed to make him a new offer.

"I would suggest they are things that we have to look at this next week or so," Macqueen told AAP, when asked about the situation at flyhalf and the possible recruitment of Michalak.

"We need to get some solid medical advice on where James [Hilgendorf] stands and until we get that and know the enormity of the advice we can't say too much.

"He [Michalak] is a good player but that's too early to speculate about."

Cipriani showed some exciting glimpses of his talent on Friday, but after the 20-minute mark the Rebels looked clueless in attack under the suffocating weight of the Waratahs defence.

"Danny is fitting in well with the team and while we were disappointed with the result there were some promising signs," Macqueen told AAP.

"But it's shown us the issues we'll have to address."

The Rebels could also be without powerful league recruit Cooper Vuna against the Brumbies, after the inside centre also copped a nasty knock to his shoulder, but will give him until Wednesday to prove his fitness.

Say What?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They aren't looking to French rugby as a whiplash reaction to the loss like some might suggest, it's purely as injury cover for Hilgendorf and that's if it's happening at all.

Kingi played some decent 10 for Rebel Rising in the 2nd half of their game, perhaps he could cover 9 and 10 from the bench for the main team (probably the whole reason he was getting time at 10 for the As). He also has played a fair bit of club rugby at 15.

Also, Hoani is obviously a loss as he's a great player for any team's culture but there are plenty of looseys cut from similar molds floating around the Rebel stable.

Any French recruitment now would be a blow to teh coffers I'm not willing to accept the Rebs would make.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Also is anyone aware of why Hilgendorf came to the Rebels to begin with?

I've been meaning to ask this question for ages because I think he is a more then quality Super journeyman but wasn't there talk that he was trying to clock up Japanese residency to make their WC team?

Status
Not open for further replies.