• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/1455/Default.aspx

Rebels Team:
1. Nic Henderson
2. Ged Robinson
3. Greg Somerville
4. Adam Byrnes
5. Kevin O'Neill
6. Hoani Macdonald
7. Michael Lipman
8. Gareth Delve (vc)
9. Sam Cordingley
10. James Hilgendorf
11. Luke Rooney
12. Cooper Vuna
13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
14. Lachlan Mitchell
15. Julian Huxley

16. Heath Tessmann
17. Laurie Weeks
18. Al Campbell
19. Jarrod Saffy
20. Nick Phipps
21. Danny Cipriani
22. Afusipa Taumoepeau

Very interesting selections, very different from what we would have guessed.

Also Rebel A (Rebel Rising) squad here: http://www.rebel-army.com/archives/1205

Sorry, I'm not convinced this team will push the Tahs. The pack just screams 'backpedal' at scrum time particularly against the Tahs. Hope I'm wrong as I want to see a close game. Huxley at 15 could really backfire unless he's suddenly become a running FB. Giving the likes of KB (Kurtley Beale), Mitchell and Turner ball in a lot of space as is likely with Huxley as the custodian and it could get ugly or wonderful depending of who you follow.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Most of us haven't seen any trial form, but there's a few questionable ones for me.

Rooney waltzing into the team for one. If I am right, I don't think he's had much involvement in the pre-season.

Cords at scrumhalf surprises me, but they picked an experienced squad and have followed that through into the first team. So Cords over the youngsters was possibly to be expected. Kingi not in the squad does surprise me.

As I said in my preview, only 2 Aussies in the pack pisses me off a little. Freier still injured though, so that's a factor.

Will be watching O'Neill and Macdonald with interest.

It's not a great team, definitely don't think it's the best XV we can put on the park.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
This pack will more than hold the tahs. Infact i reckon the backrow has it all over the tahs without Palu. I certainly wouldnt swap Delve for Mowem. Big issue for the Rebels is out wide. Not worried about Huxley he is a pro in everything he does. Speed on the flanks different story. If the Rebels forward game clicks like it did in the first 20 against the Crusaders for most of the match an upset is not out of the question. Tahs have a history of imploding under pressure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't work out how Henderson gets a starting position...

He was bloody woeful in his last couple of years with the Brumbies...

The Rebels were all over the Herald Sun this morning... the entire outer page folded out into a feature of player profiles, the draw, and a basic understanding of the Super schedule...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh yeah...

Can't really be surprised by the amount of Rebels advertising when they're owned by the largest media buyer in town...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Some were pretty sure what the Rebels matchday 22 would be and were wrong; now some are saying the 22 don't have a prayer.

Let's see.

The Pom print media will make a fuss of Cipriani's not making the starting team.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
This pack will more than hold the tahs. Infact i reckon the backrow has it all over the tahs without Palu. I certainly wouldnt swap Delve for Mowem. Big issue for the Rebels is out wide. Not worried about Huxley he is a pro in everything he does. Speed on the flanks different story. If the Rebels forward game clicks like it did in the first 20 against the Crusaders for most of the match an upset is not out of the question. Tahs have a history of imploding under pressure.

Looking at it in terms of the scrum only Somerville catches my attention. The rest I don't really rate in that area. Mobility wise I'd still rate the Tahs ahead of the Rebels forwards to be honest but as a Tahs fan I'm bias. The centres for the Rebels appear to be their real weapons. Mortlock is a known quantity and if fit will provide that punch up the middle to get his team going forward, seems to be lacking speed but his quality we in form is unquestionable. I'm really looking forward seeing Vuna in action. From the footage I've seen he looks assured in the game and provides a threaten stepper with real toe. Will definitely be a handful for the likes of Carter.

The Rebels back three just doesn't inspire and it could be a hard day at the office as you'd be hard pressed to find a more dangerous back three to debut against than that of the Tahs.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If (and this is a big "if") Sommerville is back to his old form and ability in the scrums, then he is a better THP than Baxter. And without Robinson starting, the Tahs have lost their main attacking weapon at scrum time. I doubt Kepu could trouble an inform (back to the previous "if") Sommerville, and would expect the TH side of the Rebels scrum to be fine. I don't particularly rate Henderson at scrum time, though, but Baxter is not really known as an attacking scrummager, either (not many THPs are).

The Rebels pack is a bit of a wildcard wrapped in a mystery lost in an enigma confused by a puzzling puzzle for me. I have no idea how they will go. Kevin O'Neill was a very good grafter and solid player, Haoni Macdonald used to have that bit of x-factor, and Delve and Lipman are unknowns in Super rugby.

Actually, in the back 3 (11, 14, 15) is where I think that the Tahs really have the wood on the Rebels, and particularly with pace in the outside backs. And perhaps even in the halves - and it's not often I've thought that the Tahs may dominate in and around the halves.

Really looking forward to Vuna v Carter.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ash, see if there are some Youtube Vids on Randwick V Eastwood and Randwick V Manly last year. Those two games Kepu was extremely solid to dominant against, Dunning, Alexander, Fairbrother and Longbottom. I don't have any concerns about Kepu in the scrum and if anything he offers much more impact with ball in hand which will be especially important with Palu gone.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Rebels were all over the Herald Sun this morning... the entire outer page folded out into a feature of player profiles, the draw, and a basic understanding of the Super schedule...

My favourite bit was them renaming half the SA and NZ teams. Standouts included the Pretoria Bulls, Bloemfontein Cheetahs and the Hamilton Chiefs. I assume it was to try to give the readers some sort of easier geographical reference, but still average reporting.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I can't work out how Henderson gets a starting position...

He was bloody woeful in his last couple of years with the Brumbies...

I'm not so sure, I don't think the Ponies coaches have been able to get results from any of their playing roster for a few years. Even some of the very very good players have struggled in Ponies colours. One thing that you can count on is that Macqueen only ever selects on form and suitability for the game plan he has prepared. I have no doubt at all that Henderson is right to go, I would trust Macqueen far more in this area than many other coaches in Oz.

M

MorrisMinor

Tell me why do the Rebels carry an old injured hooker. My tip is that Freier will not play a game of super rugby if he can't even repair his old tatty body during rehab. The Rebels have access to better hookers when they decide to scrap the ancient and damaged Freier.

Just because Freier is so well connected with RUPA and has served his country well, carrying a dead weight will do nothing to serve the Rebels in their first season.

Freier has to be encouraged to be let go. Bad hammy, bad back and bad calves. Is there anything working that could contribute to the team or is he just blocking a hooker that can show his true class??

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Tell me why do the Rebels carry an old injured hooker. My tip is that Freier will not play a game of super rugby if he can't even repair his old tatty body during rehab. The Rebels have access to better hookers when they decide to scrap the ancient and damaged Freier.

Just because Freier is so well connected with RUPA and has served his country well, carrying a dead weight will do nothing to serve the Rebels in their first season.

Freier has to be encouraged to be let go. Bad hammy, bad back and bad calves. Is there anything working that could contribute to the team or is he just blocking a hooker that can show his true class??

Presumably they thought his body would fix. As well as that, though, from all accounts he's an outstanding club man. McQueen knows the Rebels have no chance of making the finals first go round, so in many ways this year is as much about building a team culture as it is about winning. I really can't work out a lot of the selections, no real choice but to trust McQueen for now I guess.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Presumably they thought his body would fix. As well as that, though, from all accounts he's an outstanding club man. McQueen knows the Rebels have no chance of making the finals first go round, so in many ways this year is as much about building a team culture as it is about winning. I really can't work out a lot of the selections, no real choice but to trust McQueen for now I guess.

Nail - Head.

Frier is just the sort of hard working honest bloke to set up a culture around. EVen if he doesn't play a game his example and influence cannot be anything but positive for the team.

M

MorrisMinor

If Frier is that bloke to make and create team culture and atmosphere He should step off from the playing roster and join the coaching staff as a mentor or advisor. He gets injured in rehab, what chance is he if he starts a real game? Let the Rebels field their BEST hooker and give themselves the BEST CHANCE!!

C

CanadianRugby

I'm with you Dumbledore, don't really like this 22 but I guess we have to trust Rod, partly because he doesn't ask us. How is Betham not in the 22? Thought he looked pretty good in trials. I haven't seen anything about Rooney that impresses me yet. Chamberlin also misses out, which is a bit confusing. Looks like Rod is trying to go big and bigger. Huxley will be safe at the back, but he better not kick it too Beall. Feeling less excited about the first game after seeing the lineup.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
CanadianRugby

There was a video clip posted yesterday or the day before of Betham being run down by Batger in a match Eastwood v Sydney Uni. IMO that is a clue to his being overlooked so often as a starting player for the Tahs, Brumbies and now the Rebels: He doesn't have top end speed nor noticeable speed off the mark. He looked fast enough when he was at Joeys, but if that opinion was right things have changed.

The selection of Rooney is a bit of a puzzle, but we don't see what happens on the training paddock. I don't recall his being mentioned with favour in trial reports and he was barely noticeable in the ITM Cup. But I reckon of all the Oz league players who switched to union without previous experience, he is the one who took to the game quickest. For Toulon he played wing from Day 1 as though to the manor born and later he looked like a fine fullback too.

Chamberlain was in good form in the ITM Cup but you can't argue against the inclusion of 7. Lipman, who played for England against the Wallabies not too long ago, nor against 6. Macdonald, a good old mobile dog who counters Mowen as the 3rd lineout guy.

As others have mentioned: only 2 Aussies in the pack makes one pause. Just as well the sniggering Kiwi commentators won't be working this game but no doubt they will bide their time. I am also surprised that Cordingley is starting cold, but not that Campbell Light is on the bench.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rebels A to play Oz Barbarians in curtain raiser.

No Position First Last Club
1 Loosehead Prop Scott Baker Boroondara
2 Hooker Luke Holmes Geelong
3 Tighthead Prop Elliot Bull Melbourne
4 Left Lock Richard Stanford Eastern Suburbs (NSW)
5 Right Lock Angus Hamilton Harlequins
6 Left Flanker Luke Jones Melbourne Uni
7 Right Flanker Tom Chamberlain Maroondah
8 Number Eight Tim Davidson Melton
9 Scrum Half Richard Kingi Northern
10 Fly Half Dan Kelly Sydney Uni (NSW)
11 Left Wing JP Du Plessis Box Hill
12 Left Centre Chris Slade Melbourne
13 Right Centre Samu Taufa Box Hill
14 Right Wing Peter Betham Maroondah
15 Full Back Alex Rokobaro Sydney Uni (NSW)

Reserves
16 Prop Thomas Kolo Melbourne Uni
17 Hooker Melbourne Lesa Footscray
18 Forward Bryan Scott Powerhouse
19 Forward Seilala Lam Randwick (NSW)
20 Back David Hardisty Melbourne Uni
21 Back Mali Hingano Manly (NSW)
22 Back Ben Jones Melbourne
23 Prop Sione Kolo Melbourne Uni

[Sorry for the unformatted table but I don't know how to re-format it.]

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Left-field Rebels mix Johns with dash of AFL to lure Wallabies
Jamie Pandaram
February 17, 2011

MELBOURNE plan to unleash a radical ''hybrid'' form of rugby tomorrow, borrowing heavily from tactics used in Australian football and rugby league in a bid to lure more Wallabies stars to the new team.

The Rebels have held secret training sessions with the coaching staff of Carlton's AFL team, while rugby league great Andrew Johns has been coaching the midfield players on running lines specific to the 13-man code for tomorrow night's Super Rugby opener against NSW.

While this new brand of rugby might also help in luring young league and AFL stars to switch, Rebels chief executive Ross Oakley said the club was determined to sign a number of off-contract Wallabies stars by the end of the season.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''I would like to think we can excite some Wallaby types, and if our style of play can be developed relatively quickly, and players see us playing a new style of rugby, there maybe some real attraction there,'' Oakley told the Herald.

''We will be looking at Wallaby-type players, that is no secret, and if that is to happen in the next five months, we need to work out where these players come from and get them interested in that we're doing. We're going to play an entertaining brand of rugby. [Coach] Rod Macqueen is a very strong innovator.

''We will be taking parts of Australian football, parts of rugby league, and incorporating it into our game. It will be a hybrid union mix that will incorporate strengths of the other two codes.

''We recently had the full Carlton coaching squad coaching our side, and they also had them play a full game of AFL. There are some tactics that we have talked about and drawn from Australian football that will be significant plans for us, and the Carlton coaching squad have spent time with us teaching us techniques. I think there will be aspects of our game that are brand new. There's certainly some excitement among our established players over what we're doing. I think rugby aficionados will think, 'That's interesting.'''

The Rebels' midfielders have also been surprised by Johns's league slant in their game plans. Inside-centre Cooper Vuna, a former Newcastle Knights teammate of Johns, said: ''He has been directing the ball players and getting us to run lines that we used to in league, and letting the players know where they need to be for plays he was doing when he was at the Knights. It's basically the same as what he was doing with us when we were playing in Newcastle.''

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey was not quivering at the revelation last night. ''If they want to play AFL or league that's fine; we're turning up to play rugby,'' Hickey said.

Star Rebels recruit Danny Cipriani, who Johns spent much time with during the pre-season, has been left on the bench amid reports the team is concerned about his attitude. Former Western Force player James Hilgendorf will start at No.10 and Julian Huxley at fullback - Cipriani's secondary position. But Oakley brushed off concerns about the former England playmaker.

''It is not easy, certainly not when you've come from a background where he has been the star player and everything is laid at his feet,'' Oakley said. ''He has tremendous potential, and I would expect he will turn this competition on its ear when he finds his place. I don't thinks it's too far away - he can set a game alight in a moment of football.''

The Rebels are hoping for a sellout at AAMI Park tomorrow, where the sides will battle in the inaugural match for the Weary Dunlop Shield. Despite the overwhelming dominance of AFL in the state, Melbourne have had little problem securing support from the big end of town, with Victorian Premier Ted Bailleu signing on as a club patron.

And as for pinching a few AFL stars, Oakley said: ''We have got a few rugby league players … who knows? We have had a look at the Carlton players, we definitely have different physiques. … but I reckon we would give Chris Judd a game tomorrow.''
from http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/leftfield-rebels-mix-johns-with-dash-of-afl-to-lure-wallabies-20110216-1awmb.html

Sounds interesting, but I wonder what it really means. I think it is a positive having AFL coaches involved with kicking and high ball skills and I assume that is really all the influence that you could take from them. I suspect this is more a story to play locally and get some more interest up down here. Having said that, Somerville playing aussie rules would be a site to behold.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
The Rebs are going to throw the ball in backwards over their shoulder and underarm at the lineouts

Status
Not open for further replies.