• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd say so, he's an older head in what is otherwise quite a young backline. He's definitely a stable option, will probably be looking to link with Betham or DuPlessis (sp?) rather than counterattacking himself. Starting backline will probably be:

9. Phipps
10. Cipriani
11. Betham
12. Vuna
13. Mortlock
14. DuPlessis
15. Huxley

Is Rooney injured? I would have thought he would be one of the first picked.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think he had some calf trouble early in the year that's restricted his time in the trials, he wasn't even in the squad for the match against the Crusaders. Apparently he wasn't particularly impressive in the ITM cup either. Still, it's hard to know what will happen, lots can happen in a week. Looks like there's still competition for a lot of spots, wouldn't be surprised if McQueen still doesn't know what his first XV is.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not so much "wasn't impressive" in the ITMC as quite unimpressive. Didn't show much of the class he showed in France in the ITMC.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wasn't he injured a fair bit in ITM Cup as well? From memory he only played a couple of games. I know he played in the Fiji game up at Ballarat but I don't remember him which means he probably didn't commit any howlers, but didn't show too much either. Having said that I couldn't see two corners of the field so he may have done something there. I think the Fiji game was the first one he had played since his few with Hawke's Bay, so maybe he is just seriously rusty. It is a fair time since the end of the last T14 season. Can't see him really busting his way in for a few weeks unless he gets some time for and impresses in the Rebel's A side against ACT on the weekend.

T

TOCC

He was injured in the 4th game from memory, but he did have a pretty awful 4 games up until his injury, granted its a bit of adjustment between rugby in France and New Zealand, but one would think the ITMC would be a step down regardless.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Didn't realised he played that many games, and agree about the standard. I only saw about one half of him in ITM cup and thought he was ok, but again didn't stand out. Will be interested to see how he fairs once he is fully fit with some game time under his belt.

It actually poses an interesting question about how he will get that match fitness back though. There are limited Rebels A matches, so will he be playing Dewar Shield, or just trying to break back into the team (assuming he is not in it) based on how well he trains?

C

chriss555

Rooney look the goods in france however was a fish out of water play in ITM cup. Will need to step up if he wants to play super rugby ???

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
So woithout reading all 89 pages "impresive" what is the general feeling as to where the Rebels will finish on the ladder?

C

chriss555

4th Aus conference & 12th overall ? This depends on Sterlo staying injury free great captain, world class centre and always leads by example.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
My kingdom to the man who can provide a review or at least a scoreline of the Rebels A V Runners game that is meant to take place in Canberra today.

Kick off at 12 I think?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Betham seems to lose concentration, but he is very talented

Really? that would stop a lot of counterattack, as he just kicks the leather off the ball 90% of the time and broken field running is where most attack opportunities are coming from.

Exactly.

Huxley did his best to lose the game for the Brumbies against the Crusaders last year with his incessant kicking...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Final Scoreline of Rebels A vs Brumby Runners, 52-27.

It's the first time a big share of Rebels A players have gotten time in an A game and many of the Brumbies guys have been in programs like this for a while, it would have been a shock if the Runners didn't win.

It's heartening to see they can both score but I can't imagine the defense was very good.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Rebels fans should take some confidence from this match. Although the score doesn't reflect the effort by the Rebel's boys.
The scrum and lineout were very solid and the forwards kept the ball well, through rolling mauls and general tight play.
Dan Kelly directed the backline well and he along with Chris Slade and Peter Betham were their best.

It was only the execution and some ill discipline which let them down.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There are limited Rebels A matches, so will he be playing Dewar Shield, or just trying to break back into the team (assuming he is not in it) based on how well he trains?

In Brumby and Force land they play locally till the end of the Super season then report to Sydney or Brisbane. I'd imagine they'd have a similar mindset.

I remember hearing talk that Saffy has signed with Southern Districts sooo that would lend itself to this theory.

Rebels fans should take some confidence from this match. Although the score doesn't reflect the effort by the Rebel's boys.
The scrum and lineout were very solid and the forwards kept the ball well, through rolling mauls and general tight play.
Dan Kelly directed the backline well and he along with Chris Slade and Peter Betham were their best.

It was only the execution and some ill discipline which let them down.

How did the game go once the subs came on? The bench had more of a local flavour then the starting line-up.

B

Beast

Lam(20) and Vailoaloa(21) came on and played well,added some spark and firepower, good to see 18 yr old Hingano get a run for few minutes

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks for the info guys, sounds as promising as it could given the score. Like with the Force, depth is obviously going to be the biggest challenge for the Rebels in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.