• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Schmidt's two year deal is all about sufficient time to make the change over before the World cup if he isn't continuing on, not necessarily that he absolutely won't. There's a decent chance he will, though the most likely might be that he moves into an assistant/advisor/DoR sort of role to help the next coach through. Timing will be tricky for RA though - two of the lead candidates will likely be McKellar and Les Kiss, who you'd ideally like to see have a year or two longer with their respective super sides. After the world cup would probably be the ideal time for change over for those two.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I am definitely no fan of rushing people into jobs, but I also wonder if building an identity linked to a Super Rugby franchise over say 4-5 years creates an identity which comes off as slightly negative. It is probably a case by case basis.

As in, the Reds players in the squad are a bit over being coached by Kiss at that point and the other franchise players just see him as the QLD guy.

Hard to compare like for like but some of the best representative coaches in the NRL haven't been linked to a club team.

It will be interesting to see how Scott Robinson goes with the All Blacks after being the face of the Crusaders for a number of years.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Have spent the entire afternoon scouring all 612 billion GIF's on the internet and I still can't find even half of one GIF that adequately expresses my shock at reading this statement.

Best I could find, but still doesn’t quite capture it.

IMG_4456.gif

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s the RA way. Get Nucifora in for 2 days a week for a year and expect to turn around our whole system. Schmidt is an excellent option but 1-2 years is not enough time to do much with any side, let alone our current one.
Everything is done partially and half arsed.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
It’s the RA way. Get Nucifora in for 2 days a week for a year and expect to turn around our whole system. Schmidt is an excellent option but 1-2 years is not enough time to do much with any side, let alone our current one.
Everything is done partially and half arsed.
This is just a function of our federated system. Nucifora wants the state unions pro setups to vote themselves out of existence.

The states voted down Nucifora's proposal in 2012, and again last year, taking down RA's chairman along with the vote.

It's taken them reaching the point of financial non-existance for two of them to come to the party.

There's no point bringing him on if the governance model doesn't allow it

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Kiss will be 62/63 by the time of the WC, so possibly not much of a long-term option either.
He's also never won anything as a HC which is a big part of it tbh when taking on a job like that. Isn't his only title with LI from the English Championship not the Prem. He's always ended up with stacked squads along the way.

Reds come out and brain the comp then fuck it let him have it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is just a function of our federated system. Nucifora wants the state unions pro setups to vote themselves out of existence.

The states voted down Nucifora's proposal in 2012, and again last year, taking down RA's chairman along with the vote.

It's taken them reaching the point of financial non-existance for two of them to come to the party.

There's no point bringing him on if the governance model doesn't allow it
I would subscribe to his views and opinions way ahead of whoever is driving the bus now. How has voting him down worked for us so far?
We have a system on life support that appears to be slowly dwindling. Surely he has something to offer having been so successful with the Irish system? The governance model is a bust.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Did Nucifora act naughty by going to Scotland or was this all above board?
Above board, he was always on a set contract, part time and the role he's in has no reason to have a non-compete/gardening leave/stand down - he didn't have it for his Irish role before coming here for example.

I think the reason there has been a bit of a blow up here is that RA were happy to let people believable he was coming into a more serious and long term role when he signed on, because it was good press for them. Peter Horne has always been the guy in that role and having Nucifora there long term could easily have been a detriment in a "too many cooks" sort of way.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
He's also never won anything as a HC which is a big part of it tbh when taking on a job like that. Isn't his only title with LI from the English Championship not the Prem. He's always ended up with stacked squads along the way.

Reds come out and brain the comp then fuck it let him have it.
If we start narrowing down the coaching list to Australians with a history of winning comps we've literally only got Cheik and Voldermaaaaaaaate (I'll give him RWC07 with the boks here) to choose from.

Reactions: dru

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
No, and I've been here for a long time... maybe too long?

Did this thread even exist?

And should we miss those miserable fucks?
I've been here for a looooong time. I even wrote articles about the Pumas and Jaguares in 2016 and 2017. I had an old user that I lost, so I should have more messages here. So, yes. I remember that thread pretty well

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I've been here for a looooong time. I even wrote articles about the Pumas and Jaguares in 2016 and 2017. I had an old user that I lost, so I should have more messages here. So, yes. I remember that thread pretty well

Marce, can I ask where you come from if not Argentina?