• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
This place is definitely starting to dissemble. We seem to have a child or two stepping out of the schoolyard into the main fori. In a weird way it indicates new generation rugby fans coming through.
zombiewall_zpscdp41kve.gif
If I find a cure for cancer, someone will question me
47fc8265-560e-43d7-b8f3-f4a9cf22af49_text.gif

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
This place is definitely starting to dissemble. We seem to have a child or two stepping out of the schoolyard into the main fori. In a weird way it indicates new generation rugby fans coming through.
Why are they here though, on an old skool Rugby BBS full of old gits? Why arent they on a slack channel or tik tok twitter feed or wherever the hell it is young people go on the internet?

And how do Rowing kids even know about GAGRugby let alone think to gather here to discuss Rowing, of all things?

I have a feeling @Lindommer will know the answers to all of these questions.

By the way, I am 14-and-a-half years old. It's true. I joined this forii when I was 4-years old.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Why are they here though, on an old skool Rugby BBS full of old gits? Why arent they on a slack channel or tik tok twitter feed or wherever the hell it is young people go on the internet?

And how do Rowing kids even know about GAGRugby let alone think to gather here to discuss Rowing, of all things?

I have a feeling @Lindommer will know the answers to all of these questions.

By the way, I am 14-and-a-half years old. It's true. I joined this forii when I was 4-years old.
Tell the truth... I know who you are

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240827-202557.png
    Screenshot_20240827-202557.png
    786.8 KB · Views: 278

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It's just another example of one of the fatal flaws of rugby in Australia currently - lack of opportunity. Regardless of your opinion of the rebels cut - taking away 20% of the available job opportunities to work in professional rugby in this country is a massive blow. No where else in the world is the professional rugby (hell, even 'sporting') landscape both so small and so isolated.
You have to be able to pay that extra 20% of the jobs and the Rebels showed that it simply wasn't viable.

The Rebels are gone. They were not competitive in any aspect of the professional rugby environment...time to move on. Like the players and coaches seem to have done....

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
College football's tribalism is built on fans who spent 4 years from 18-22 living on a campus where the entire social scene of 30k+ students revolves around drinking, their university's football team, and nothing else.

Very little about college football is transferable to Super Rugby.
lol buddy, college football is arguably bigger than the nfl in many parts of the states .. it’s not just the students but the whole city/ state who are obsessed …

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Manenti has officially finished up with the Men's 7s side:

Looks like he's headed overseas, hopefully someone at RA keeps in touch, he could be a very good option down the track for a super side.
The drain of experience and talent continues. Not enough infrastructure for players, coaches and administrators and we invariably lose a lot of the good ones OS to more desirable pay checks and stability. RA is reactionary rather than visionary and the ship slowly continues to sink.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
To be fair, Super Rugby is doomed - no sport can survive on 14 games a season. The URC was the worst comp until they added more teams.
The NFL season is from September to February and most of the teams play until January. If you are lucky enough play the only game of February, the Super Bowl

dru

David Wilson (68)
Crossed over to avoid mis-threading the next test.

[The topic started with a wry comment from TSR "By all means be optimistic, but if the guy is doing a lot of the right things but not getting quite the success I hope some of the usual suspects can resist the temptation to make a power play." My tolerance would be tested by further HC sacking, for sure.]

It was a RA issue Dru but it was fueled by all of us and the media, who are mostly clueless leading the attacks. Rennie was the worst I have seen. In the 80s it was done with greater subtlety and a sharper knife, but it has always been there. Rugby is far worse politically than the corporate companies I worked for. It extends from Junior rugby to Wallabies and the jobs around it. Never understood the reasons for it.

Hey SMI. Yes fuelled by media hype and fan expectation and the way these drive reaction from RA. Whether well or poorly considered. In terms of Rennie, he wasn't the Messia, and irrespective of some defenders here I will never forgive the Italy game. It doesn't mean he was in any way worse than the shit show that EJ (Eddie Jones) proved to be. [While I would have stuck with Rennie, ultimately I drank the cool-aide too.] It isn't necessary to argue where Rennie sits against say, Cheika or Deans. All the same I think we would be much better off right now if we had held our courage and kept him continuously through to today. We'd be below #5 but not at #9 I suspect.

Disfunction starts I think with Super which is definitional on the term "sunk cost fallacy". Screws things up looking to rugby tiers below, (just look at the self cannibalising relationships in our largest rugby house, NSW) and is increasingly proving ineffective in background preparation for International rugby.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Schmidt is leaving of his own accord at the end of the Lions Tour isn't he?

The next power play will be who gets to take the team to the WC

There is some conjecture around this.

Both parties agreed to a 2-year deal and I don’t think any official statements give insight into who wanted that.

Schmidt and a few of his coaching team haven’t relocated permanently to Oz so it does seem like he may be planning to vacate after the Lions.

I’m not exactly sold on that. The home 2027 RWC is likely to be the last real chance to make a big splash for rugby here. If the team are looking okay then surely you’d want to be involved in that.

You’d have to think it’ll be a big show, I mean they filmed the crash and burn Eddie RWC campaign and released that. Netflix will be all over us for the ultimate comeback story.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Schmidt and a few of his coaching team haven’t relocated permanently to Oz so it does seem like he may be planning to vacate after the Lions.

"It’s pretty much public knowledge that I have a young man at home who suffers quite badly with epilepsy and this job will take me away from the time that I’d committed to pitching in and helping him out," he explained, having initially retired from coaching after his Ireland departure.

"If we can get the job done over the next 18 months and get the momentum heading in the right direction then I will feel like I’ve done my part of it and I’ll be happy to be hands-on. Or if some Australian coaches come through, I’m really keen to help get some of the Australian coaches more experience as well so they can pitch up and lead the Wallabies.

"It’s certainly not a hit and run [mission]. For both RA and myself it is a good fit at that time. If you were going to make a change before the World Cup, you don’t want to do it a year out.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)

Interesting - I knew about the family stuff but wasn't aware he had openly said he was happy to move on. Thanks for providing that article.

In that case, yeh I reckon he will be out after the Lions if Les Kiss has another good season at the Reds.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting - I knew about the family stuff but wasn't aware he had openly said he was happy to move on. Thanks for providing that article.

In that case, yeh I reckon he will be out after the Lions if Les Kiss has another good season at the Reds.
I reckon plan A is Kiss takes over as HC and Schmidt continues as an assistant.

He will want to be part of the WC but not the face of it