• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
It's just another example of one of the fatal flaws of rugby in Australia currently - lack of opportunity. Regardless of your opinion of the rebels cut - taking away 20% of the available job opportunities to work in professional rugby in this country is a massive blow. No where else in the world is the professional rugby (hell, even 'sporting') landscape both so small and so isolated.
Mate, the Rebels were trading whilst insolvent for years. That "20%" of jobs ceased to exist years ago.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Lol and you wonder why with post like this. Also his satire , you aren't. I don't particularly mind you, but you have gone into a rare space of negativity that you repeat to the point of exhaustion
Do you remember the thread: "The ugly true of Australian Rugby"? Many of those users aren't anymore here. Because they are too negative to be here but the topic of that historical thread makes more sense year after year. That's all. It's not me, it's the scenario.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
To be fair, Super Rugby is doomed - no sport can survive on 14 games a season. The URC was the worst comp until they added more teams.

And, judging by the RA's prior performance, they are going to bugger up any money the get.
The difference with NRL and AFL is that you have to add the international competition. The Wallabies play in average 12 games per season. At least 6 of those games are at home. So you have to add 6 games, it's a 20 games season for the average rugby supporter.

@Tomikin here you have a positive comment

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you remember the thread: "The ugly true of Australian Rugby"? Many of those users aren't anymore here. Because they are too negative to be here but the topic of that historical thread makes more sense year after year. That's all. It's not me, it's the scenario.

No, and I've been here for a long time... maybe too long?

Did this thread even exist?

And should we miss those miserable fucks?

LevitatingSocks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Except people live breath and die college football …

No one cares about super rugby
College football's tribalism is built on fans who spent 4 years from 18-22 living on a campus where the entire social scene of 30k+ students revolves around drinking, their university's football team, and nothing else.

Very little about college football is transferable to Super Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
College football's tribalism is built on fans who spent 4 years from 18-22 living on a campus where the entire social scene of 30k+ students revolves around drinking, their university's football team, and nothing else.

Very little about college football is transferable to Super Rugby.
You could say many have a very passionate tribalism not dissimilar to College Football about School Boy Rugby in Aus. There are a lot of people who watch that and attend that who don't give a rats about Super Rugby anymore.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
No, I don't either, and I've been here a long time as well, but dude, we are where we are. I enjoy rugby, I enjoy winning rugby... We have issues, none less than that we aren't brilliant at it.

I think, at the moment, we are where we are, but the continued bitching on the same thing is tiring.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The difference with NRL and AFL is that you have to add the international competition. The Wallabies play in average 12 games per season. At least 6 of those games are at home. So you have to add 6 games, it's a 20 games season for the average rugby supporter.

@Tomikin here you have a positive comment
Not really positive, just a statement, with no real purpose, was it part of a conversation? Anyway, couldn't care what AFL / NRL are doing, I use to have some interest in NRL, but it is completely disappeared I didn't even know state of origin was on till half way through the first game.

I did, though, recently go to an SA vs Wallabies at Suncorp, which had lots of banter on trains at the game and had 50-odd thousand people. Yes, it sucked we lost, but most teams lose to SA. It was a fun night; I even got myself a Wallabies bucket cap.