• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Mainly because it makes for dramatic posting!

It does seem like SARU and NZRU will be removing games and cash from the SANZAAR agreement and replacing it with their own ecosystem. Which is probably fair enough if you can get away with it, but is going to feel like pretty poor form for the others in the partnership.
Actually Strewth, I can see both sides of what people think. I understand that perhaps Aus and Argies will perhaps get less chance to earn, but also being a kiwi I applaud that the NZR is remembering their main job is worrying about NZ rugby (same as SA etc). I am sure you would applaud if boot on other foot and Aus had chance to add to their kitty.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
If RA is forced to accept this (and I think they probably will have to), they should negotiate playing both SA and NZ at home in the single tests in TRC 2026 and 2030

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
To be more positive - it can also provide oppprtunity. Play more tests against other top ten ranked teams such as Argentina and the ever improving Fiji (as there will likely not be as many against SA and NZ). Less matches against top three ranked teams would potentially see more wins and facilitate movement up the world rankings - which in turn provides more bargaining power. More wins can also increase crowd sizes. More matches against a wider range of teams also provides more exposure to various styles which can improve performance when taking on the top three ranked teams.

Last edited:

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Moving rugby on for who exactly?
NZ and SA. international rugby. I think it's been stagnate for a while now. I admit I would be quite happy to see RC drift off, and rugby go back to tours. I am quite happy to see us play Aus only every 2 years or something. Does everyone not think something different would be good?

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Actually Strewth, I can see both sides of what people think. I understand that perhaps Aus and Argies will perhaps get less chance to earn, but also being a kiwi I applaud that the NZR is remembering their main job is worrying about NZ rugby (same as SA etc). I am sure you would applaud if boot on other foot and Aus had chance to add to their kitty.
They also supposedly have a partnership on both a domestic and national level with Australia

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
NZ and SA. international rugby. I think it's been stagnate for a while now.
I think the two matches in the same country have help in the TRC but I also believe we should be having more tier 2 matches. It creates variety but also different experiences for players. It is a global game lets utalise that better. I love the old touring jumpers/banners (take a leaf out of soccers book and provide a gift prior to kick off) in the rugby club houses. Imagine players swapping jerseys with team first time the wallabies have played a team outside a world cup. H/A with the Pacific Island Teams over a 6 year cycle as the first test prior to the incoming tours. Potentially another prior to the TRC against a American side (if we are away in Argentina first off maybe against Uruguay, Chile or Brazil. Maybe Canada or USA? An African team prior to SA say Zim or Namibia? Or we could hit one Japan/USA/Canada on the way to the northern tour. Or if we are in UK/Europe play Georgia, Portugal, Spain, Romainia, Russia or Baabaas.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If RA is forced to accept this (and I think they probably will have to), they should negotiate playing both SA and NZ at home in the single tests in TRC 2026 and 2030
It's a pretty likely outcome, though it does mean the touring side will be reduced to 3 home tests that year

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They have never once forgotten this

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lots still to play out here, but this fundamentally weakens the connection between Australia and New Zealand, which really increases the chances of super rugby (or at least anything resembling it's current format) dieing.

Would not at all be surprised to see RA say thanks but no thanks after 2030 and look to use what interest and finances they can spin from lions + a home world cup into a new domestic model. Not exactly an easy thing, but I get the feeling that won't be able to wait and see any longer and will need to roll the dice.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Who in here would suggest that if RA and SARU could earn potentially decent coin, while reviving a great tradition would say No thanks we have to think of NZ??? Do we need a poll for you all to vote?
I would vote yes as RA should always do what would be best for Aussie rugby not NZR!

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Who in here would suggest that if RA and SARU could earn potentially decent coin, while reviving a great tradition would say No thanks we have to think of NZ??? Do we need a poll for you all to vote?
I would vote yes as RA should always do what would be best for Aussie rugby not NZR!
So we should just ignore the fact NZR are apart of supposed partnership’s in Sanzaar and Super Rugby? It’s all about chasing every dollar and disregarding everything else? Good to know scruples aren’t your thing

Super Rugby and the Bledisole need to be blown up anyway, so let’s just cut the cord and everyone go their seperate ways

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
So we should just ignore the fact NZR are apart of supposed partnership’s in Sanzaar and Super Rugby? It’s all about chasing every dollar and disregarding everything else? Good to know scruples aren’t your thing

Super Rugby and the Bledisole need to be blown up anyway, so let’s just cut the cord and everyone go their seperate ways
Who's ignoring anything? Just changing things a bit. RA have already changed Super by withdrawing a team, no problems , so half of SAANZAAR is just tweaking RC. (though I comfortable if there was always less games)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
And of course gives me reason to stay healthey to chase games , we get Lions tour in '29, and now Boks in '30!!!!

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Who's ignoring anything? Just changing things a bit. RA have already changed Super by withdrawing a team, no problems , so half of SAANZAAR is just tweaking RC. (though I comfortable if there was always less games)
That's fine, but why should RA continue bending the knee to a supposed partner in NZR that has done nothing to help anyone but themselves and leech of other nations

RA would be better off continuing to cultivate relationships they have forged with Japan & Fiji etc.