• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's fine, but why should RA continue bending the knee to a supposed partner in NZR that has done nothing to help anyone but themselves and leech of other nations

RA would be better off continuing to cultivate relationships they have forged with Japan & Fiji etc.
I really don't see the point in this kind of thinking. For better or worse, we are incredibly reliant on NZRU to keep rugby going in Australia.

Without regular Bledisloe Cups, the extra broadcast $$$ they are sharing at the moment and touring/development games up and down the game we would be even less competitive than we are now. Japan/Fiji level of involvement in WR (World Rugby) is probably right - ie very much on the outer.

Same is true to a lessor extent for NZ though. They are very relient on us too.

That's why it's a partnership. And to be fair to NZRU it does look like SA who are releasing info on this before SANZAAR can come to a combined position.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
there’s been an idea floated previously about a Anzac Day Bledisloe.

I really like the idea but understand the logistical nightmare of halting super rugby to play a game of footy on April 25.

but considering we don’t know what Super Rugby landscape looks 2026 beyond. Maybe it’s achievable
I love the idea in concept but also get and support the push back that's happening in regards to events on ANZAC Day. I think it can be an opportunity to start conversations about what it means but sadly it end up Sportsbet and Canadian Club Ads on what is meant to be a sacred day.

That weekend could work and stopping the comps shouldn't be that hard. Sports do it all over the world. Super Rugby sides need to know or have it told again who butters their bread.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's fine, but why should RA continue bending the knee to a supposed partner in NZR that has done nothing to help anyone but themselves and leech of other nations
Didn't NZR agree to pay RA an increased top up from their broadcast deal a couple of years ago?

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Fuck NZRU
Untitled_Project_V1.gif

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

RA would be better off continuing to cultivate relationships they have forged with Japan & Fiji etc.
How has NZR leeched off other nations?? I not arguing about RA cultivating relationships with Japan and Fiji, in fact I think they are with Japan (as is NZR). As far as I am concerned all RU's should cultivating relationships with as many as they can.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Didn't NZR agree to pay RA an increased top up from their broadcast deal a couple of years ago?
Only after McClennan didnt back down. Their initial proposal had no such thing

They were also a major factor in the South African teams leaving Super Rugby

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
How has NZR leeched off other nations?? I not arguing about RA cultivating relationships with Japan and Fiji, in fact I think they are with Japan (as is NZR). As far as I am concerned all RU's should cultivating relationships with as many as they can.
What exactly are they doing for Samoa & Tonga other than picking their best players and using their supposed Super Rugby Franchise as a 6th NZ team?

NZ Rugby needs to be careful in trying to minimize Australian rugby for a quick buck. We all know South Africa's goal is to be apart of the 6 nations, so where does that leave NZ long term?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
What exactly are they doing for Samoa & Tonga other than picking their best players and using their supposed Super Rugby Franchise as a 6th NZ team?

Who are these best players are they picking from Tonga and Samoa? You do know most of their WC squads actually play and were born in NZ?? It's fortunate that Australia have noone with Island roots playing isn't it??
I still not sure how MP (Moana Pasifika) are our 6th Super team, they are partly funded by NZR, etc, but they are actually only a drain on rugby in NZ. There is absolutely no advatage to NZ having them here.
But I still don't think this has anything to do with the SA/AB tours that are being proposed, I still think they a great idea, and RA should perhaps try and set up similar with another identity. Also ther are actually 2 RUs doing it NZR AND SARU,

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
And RA have no problem, seem SANZAAR board has been kept fully aware of all things.

'
RA chairman Herbert, who won the World Cup in 1999 with the Wallabies, acknowledged they were watching on closely but weren’t concerned about the unfolding moves.

“We’re not concerned at all,” Herbert told The Roar.

“It’s a natural evolution of a proven concept, NZ and SANZAAR have made us aware of the discussions.

“It’s new and exciting content for the rugby market and we look forward to announcing our own new content in the near future, which will bring more excitement and eyeballs to rugby.”

I personally think you will find with proposed RN's cup etc, international rugby is going to have huge changes to it, time to embrace it Same ol same ol doen't cut it anymore!

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
And RA have no problem, seem SANZAAR board has been kept fully aware of all things.

'
RA chairman Herbert, who won the World Cup in 1999 with the Wallabies, acknowledged they were watching on closely but weren’t concerned about the unfolding moves.

“It’s a natural evolution of a proven concept, NZ and SANZAAR have made us aware of the discussions.

“It’s new and exciting content for the rugby market and we look forward to announcing our own new content in the near future, which will bring more excitement and eyeballs to rugby.”

I personally think you will find with proposed RN's cup etc, international rugby is going to have huge changes to it, time to embrace it Same ol same ol doen't cut it anymore!
No shit they’d say this, it’s a done deal they can’t change and RA are trying to sell a broadcast deal.

What do you expect them to say, NZRU and RSA have fucked us over and broken decades long agreements and diluted a product to simply look after themselves at the expense of Australia and Argentina… but please by this broadcast package we’re trying to sell you!?!? doesn’t achieve much at this point… damage is done.
Fuck NZRU

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I not arguing about RA cultivating relationships with Japan and Fiji, in fact I think they are with Japan (as is NZR). As far as I am concerned all RU's should cultivating relationships with as many as they can.
Don’t be so disingenuous, there are clear and obvious reasons NZRU isn’t planning tour matches to Japan and Fiji.. because it doesn’t pay the $$$$

how about NZ drop the tours and do some relationship cultivating themselves…

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ian Payten reporting that ANZAC Day Bledisloe Cup is on and in Perth, with Super Round happening at the same time. Mens and women tests on the same day

Australia and Argentina will be also be compensated if the NZ v SA tours go ahead, and SANZAAR will have to approve it

Last edited:

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

'

Same ol same ol.. Dan... wish you weren't the same old broken record..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Ian Payten reporting that ANZAC Day Bledisloe Cup is on and in Perth, with Super Round happening at the same time. Mens and women tests on the same day

Australia and Argentina will be also be compensated if the NZ v SA tours go ahead, and SANZAAR will have to approve it

To be honest, would anyone turn up to watch Japan vs Australia in Oz, I mean Eddie Jones ain't going to fill Suncorp with Japan how SA did or the All Blacks will, and Fiji will be worse.

Kiwis and SA better cough up something special to remove those match fees, or they can shove it.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Meh, isn't the SANZAAR/RC agreement done come 2030? They'll throw us a token bone and be gone post 2030. Which probably makes sense since we are nearly destitute.

NZRU are fluffybunnys but you can hardly expect them to act in anything other than self interest. We'd give NZ the flick in a heartbeat if the roles were reversed.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Don’t be so disingenuous, there are clear and obvious reasons NZRU isn’t planning tour matches to Japan and Fiji.. because it doesn’t pay the $$$$

how about NZ drop the tours and do some relationship cultivating themselves…
Why just NZ? Why not Aussie too? I genuinely not sure if Japan are even interested in tours from any of us as they really seem to have company teams etc, but if they are I wouldn't mind betting there would be some discussion from both NZ or Aus as it could be worth money. I not sure how Fijian rugby is set up for tours anyway, but there is a reason that NZR or RA wouldn't probably be interested, money pit?
Of course NZR and SA are getting into this touring thing with money being main factor. Why the f*** do you think RA is so happy about the Lions and WC?? Because they will earn good coin from them. We playing pro rugby, NZers want to see ABs (and local teams) play Boks etc, and Saffas want to see Boks (and their loacl teams) play the ABs more that other teams, and you genuinely think it shouldn't happen? I admit I looking at it as a kiwi and what I want from rugby, and there no reason for Aussies to want it as there nothing in it for you and that's quite ok.
Rightly or wrongly talk to the average Kiwi rugby follower, they wouldn't be all that interested or pleased if RA and England etc were doing same, we all want what's best for ourselves at end of day.

@Derpus I would hardly expect NZR to act in anything that's not in NZ rugby's best interest, same as I expect RA to act in Aus rugby's best ineterest first and foremost. If NZR turned this down they would get crucified by provinces/rugby public etc.

Last edited: