• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I suspect that our #1 half remains pretty unclear - sufficiently so that we probably cannot afford to cut White from the squad.
It's Gordon, starting then McDermott finishing then daylight isn't it?

And if Gordon is out, then it's White, with McDermott finishing.

McDermott probably hasn't got the criticism he deserves for his test performances this year. Been consistently error filled and inaccurate (unfortunately)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It's Gordon, starting then McDermott finishing then daylight isn't it?

And if Gordon is out, then it's White, with McDermott finishing.

McDermott probably hasn't got the criticism he deserves for his test performances this year. Been consistently error filled and inaccurate (unfortunately)
Why stick with White though? He isn't young and is unlikely to be anywhere near this squad in 2027 and he isn't a great player. He has been, at best, a solid Test player. The search has to be on to find 3 halfbacks who will be at the 2027 RWC and giving them as much competition - in the team squad and at game time - as possible.

I'd rather have three new halfbacks and if needed, bring Genia into Wallaby camps as the 'experienced' old head for them to learn from.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why stick with White though? He isn't young and is unlikely to be anywhere near this squad in 2027 and he isn't a great player. He has been, at best, a solid Test player. The search has to be on to find 3 halfbacks who will be at the 2027 RWC and giving them as much competition - in the team squad and at game time - as possible.

I'd rather have three new halfbacks and if needed, bring Genia into Wallaby camps as the 'experienced' old head for them to learn from.
Because Schmidt is planning for 2025, not 2027

dru

David Wilson (68)
And yet it is the competition that almost every RWC winner has come out of since its inception.

Just because it's not perfect doesn't make it shit no matter how many times it's repeated here...

It wasn't always shit.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Meh....White isn't adding much right now - not sure why that would change in a positive direction by next year.
It probably won’t. Schmidt opted for the 66 cap Wallaby ahead of the bloke who got dropped from his super side as his 3rd halfback. Everyone agrees Nic is near his use by date but it’s hardly worth getting in a lather about given our dearth of alternatives. You blokes are hardly flush in that area either, TJP is your first choice.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It probably won’t. Schmidt opted for the 66 cap Wallaby ahead of the bloke who got dropped from his super side as his 3rd halfback. Everyone agrees Nic is near his use by date but it’s hardly worth getting in a lather about given our dearth of alternatives. You blokes are hardly flush in that area either, TJP is your first choice.
NZ are on the exact same trajectory as us just not as far down the road.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The ABs have Roigard coming back, Ratima and Hotham.

The Wallabies would do better with a Fakatava or Funaki over White...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
NZ are on the exact same trajectory as us just not as far down the road.
You might like to think so but Aotearoa has a pretty good domestic competition that puts us on a different 'trajectory' to Australia.

Without the Rebels, hopefully we'll start seeing more competitive Austranlian Super Rugby teams in the next few years.

dru

David Wilson (68)
You might like to think so but Aotearoa has a pretty good domestic competition that puts us on a different 'trajectory' to Australia.

Without the Rebels, hopefully we'll start seeing more competitive Austranlian Super Rugby teams in the next few years.

Mate I'd argue that Super is trapping NZ into difficulty, but I don't see Australian style problems hitting NZ, there is enough of a domestic following to drive the sport, and yes your third tier comp sets the success for the whole sport.

You are dreaming though on shrink to greatness in Australia. There will probably be a sugar hit in 2025, but within 12-18 months the professional sporting landscape just removed 20% of the opportunity and talent. What do you think the impact would be on NZ if 20% of pro talent was removed? And you have much greater depth. Shrink to greatness = disappearing up our own arse.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Pfft NPC won't keep you the best team in the world. I flicked it on yesterday and there were less fans in the stand than a standard Shute Shield game.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Pfft NPC won't keep you the best team in the world. I flicked it on yesterday and there were less fans in the stand than a standard Shute Shield game.
You right about NPC like it is wouldn't make enough money, but don't ever look at tv to see crowds mate. In Hamilton they always open one stand first that is behind cammeras, same as Naki games, always look at empty stand that is not even open yet. Not big crowds by any means, all I saying is usually better than seen on TV. Usual Naki crowd is only 3-6000 general season.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Mate I'd argue that Super is trapping NZ into difficulty, but I don't see Australian style problems hitting NZ, there is enough of a domestic following to drive the sport, and yes your third tier comp sets the success for the whole sport.

You are dreaming though on shrink to greatness in Australia. There will probably be a sugar hit in 2025, but within 12-18 months the professional sporting landscape just removed 20% of the opportunity and talent. What do you think the impact would be on NZ if 20% of pro talent was removed? And you have much greater depth. Shrink to greatness = disappearing up our own arse.
That 20% was never good enough to be professional.

Simply making players professional to fill a team when they aren't up to that standard doesn't make losing them some kind of disaster.

Australia certainly hasn't expanded to greatness since adding that 20%.

dru

David Wilson (68)
That 20% was never good enough to be professional.

Simply making players professional to fill a team when they aren't up to that standard doesn't make losing them some kind of disaster.

Australia certainly hasn't expanded to greatness since adding that 20%.

Skewed view, but the counter is that is that 20% was not good enough, how the heck do you reach the conclusion that:-

And it also cuts revenue and removes rugby from Australias largest sporting region, a bit like removing rugby from, say, Aukland.

At any rate, it's off-thread now. Apologies to anyone that annoys.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Did you happen to catch the just-completed Shield game? Or any Sunday arvo game this or any other year? Full house just about every time.

Sky want product in prime time & fair enough, they're paying the piper so get to call the tune but let's be honest, live night-time footy in late winter/ early spring in NZ isn't that attractive compared to watching it on TV. Which enough people do to keep Sky coming back & giving NZR a shit-ton of money. Provincial Union treasurers would obviously like more jam (bums on seats) but as long as the bread & butter (NZR disbursements) keeps coming they'll continue to enjoy it when it's there & deal with it when it's not.