• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Slipper might never be seen again.
If I was a Wallaby fan, I would hope so.

Slipper is kind of emblematic of what has been wrong with Australian rugby for the last 10-odd years.

A player who has never been considered in the elite tier in his position but seemingly has never had any serious threat to be replaced and thus, has more caps than anyone. Even this year, many still see him as an important cog in the Wallaby pack.

I'd want younger players to push guys like him, Ala'alatoa and Nic White right out of the selection frame.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If I was a Wallaby fan, I would hope so.

Slipper is kind of emblematic of what has been wrong with Australian rugby for the last 10-odd years.

A player who has never been considered in the elite tier in his position but seemingly has never had any serious threat to be replaced and thus, has more caps than anyone. Even this year, many still see him as an important cog in the Wallaby pack.

I'd want younger players to push guys like him, Ala'alatoa and Nic White right out of the selection frame.
I think being a tad harsh. Slipper is a world cup finalist. But I agree that it would be nice if there was more talent coming through to displace them as their form falls away.

Alas we have no domestic professional competition and Super Rugby is dogshite so not really sure where that talent is supposed to spring from. Perhaps my butthole?

Last edited:

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think being a tad harsh. Slipper is a world cup finalist. But I agree that it would be nice if there was more talent coming through to displace them as their form falls away.

Alas we have no domestic professional competition and Super Rugby is dogshite so not really sure where that talent is supposed to spring from.
He was also one of our best players when we were consistently #2 or #3 in the world.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Canham in and Blyth out - the only change? I suspect Canham is being looked at as backup to Frost, while Williams and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) fight out for the other spot in the second row.

Have to say I am a little disappointed with the squad. Good thing that there is very little chopping and changing, but I was sort of hoping that White and maybe Slipper might miss out to younger, developing players. I think Allan Ala'alatoa is still competing with TT for the top THP spot. One is by reputation stronger in the scrum but has poor fitness and perseverance, while the other is a workhorse around the field but since coming back from an achilles injury is more suspect at scrum time. Nonggorr is developing but for me he is not yet in the discussion of our best THPs.

I am not sure who would replace Slipper for development purposes but Hodgman probably would do at least as good as James in the set piece. I am a Nic White fan, but surely the time is right for him to give way to Ryan Lonergan at Wallaby level. That transition had already taken place at the Brumbies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kailea should come onto the bench in the next test. I would have thought that Nonggorr would have been in the squad to get some time off the bench. Problem we have with TT is the bench guy needs to be ready to play 70 mins.
I would take Canham over Blyth every day of the week. It’s unlikely he will be in the 23 the next two weeks unless there is an injury but he is young and looks to have a very high ceiling.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Canham in and Blyth out - the only change? I suspect Canham is being looked at as backup to Frost, while Williams and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) fight out for the other spot in the second row.

Have to say I am a little disappointed with the squad. Good thing that there is very little chopping and changing, but I was sort of hoping that White and maybe Slipper might miss out to younger, developing players. I think Allan Ala'alatoa is still competing with TT for the top THP spot. One is by reputation stronger in the scrum but has poor fitness and perseverance, while the other is a workhorse around the field but since coming back from an achilles injury is more suspect at scrum time. Nonggorr is developing but for me he is not yet in the discussion of our best THPs.

I am not sure who would replace Slipper for development purposes but Hodgman probably would do at least as good as James in the set piece. I am a Nic White fan, but surely the time is right for him to give way to Ryan Lonergan at Wallaby level. That transition had already taken place at the Brumbies.
I thought White’s form at the Force showed he still deserved Wallaby selection. Lonergan’s form at the Brumbies didn’t.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I thought White’s form at the Force showed he still deserved Wallaby selection. Lonergan’s form at the Brumbies didn’t.
Lonergan's form wasn't bad. He made way for Goddard in the starting lineup for a couple games near the end of the season, but otherwise had started most games in 2024.

The point is, that we have to move on from senior players at some stage of their careers when their performances start to taper off which is where I think Nic is now. It would seem that Schmidt might think so too, as he now seems to favour both Gordon and McDermott as the two game day No 9s. So, what is Nic getting out of being a squad member right now. Perfect opportunity to bring Lonergan in to learn Joe's game plan and for development and continuity purposes. We've got some very promising prospects coming through for the No 9 spot down the track, in Teddy Wilson, Louis Werchon and Klayton Thorn but they are still some years off the Wallabies. Better to have another younger player in the squad in the meantime than one whose best years are well and truly behind him.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Lonergan's form wasn't bad. He made way for Goddard in the starting lineup for a couple games near the end of the season, but otherwise had started most games in 2024.
<...>
Better to have another younger player in the squad in the meantime than one whose best years are well and truly behind him.

I suspect that our #1 half remains pretty unclear - sufficiently so that we probably cannot afford to cut White from the squad.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Alas we have no domestic professional competition and Australian teams in Super Rugby is dogshite so not really sure where that talent is supposed to spring from. Perhaps my butthole?
Fixed that for you...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Probably around then. He’s a better player than the loose heads you took to RWC15.
You're kidding yourself. Slipper has never been that guy.

Whether or not he's better than the AB 2015 LHP is not just debatable, it's completely irrelevant.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
DC, don’t you ever dare suggest an Australian something is better than a Kiwi something when Bullrush is present…

It’s just not debatable.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)

The point is, that we have to move on from senior players at some stage of their careers when their performances start to taper off which is where I think Nic is now. It would seem that Schmidt might think so too, as he now seems to favour both Gordon and McDermott as the two game day No 9s. So, what is Nic getting out of being a squad member right now. Perfect opportunity to bring Lonergan in to learn Joe's game plan and for development and continuity purposes. We've got some very promising prospects coming through for the No 9 spot down the track, in Teddy Wilson, Louis Werchon and Klayton Thorn but they are still some years off the Wallabies. Better to have another younger player in the squad in the meantime than one whose best years are well and truly behind him.
I thought Goddard was a better player when he had his chance. As I said, don’t think Lonergan’s form was better than White’s and I don’t think Gordon or McDermott are any better. White would be definitely there for experience and obviously if injury occurs. Don’t be surprised if he starts against the AB’s. Just my unbiased non Brumby thoughts. Donaldson is my 10 for Wallabies too. He needs the same selection and Tests Noah has been given to date. Only played a handful of starting 10 Tests. By far our best attacking 10 and needs to be consistently picked, not one game and then benched. Noah is hardly an outstandingly better player, no matter what anyone says. All the carnage v the Argies happened when Donaldson left the field. One exit was rushed with no blocking from his forwards. Another when he had to go into halfback and no one was ready to take a pass for a kick exit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No BR. Kiwis sure dominate, but it is Super that is pants. I would have thought that plenty in NZ agree.
And yet it is the competition that almost every RWC winner has come out of since its inception.

Just because it's not perfect doesn't make it shit no matter how many times it's repeated here...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
DC, don’t you ever dare suggest an Australian something is better than a Kiwi something when Bullrush is present…

It’s just not debatable.
And it's still completely irrelevant. Slipper has never been considered one of the top 3 LHP in the world.

Try to stay on the topic guys.... :)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I thought Goddard was a better player when he had his chance. As I said, don’t think Lonergan’s form was better than White’s and I don’t think Gordon or McDermott are any better. White would be definitely there for experience and obviously if injury occurs. Don’t be surprised if he starts against the AB’s. Just my unbiased non Brumby thoughts. Donaldson is my 10 for Wallabies too. He needs the same selection and Tests Noah has been given to date. Only played a handful of starting 10 Tests. By far our best attacking 10 and needs to be consistently picked, not one game and then benched. Noah is hardly an outstandingly better player, no matter what anyone says. All the carnage v the Argies happened when Donaldson left the field. One exit was rushed with no blocking from his forwards. Another when he had to go into halfback and no one was ready to take a pass for a kick exit.
Stop playing Nic White. Another player in the Slipper boat. A guy who has never been considered one of the best halfbacks in Test rugby and needs to be sidelined for younger, and hopefully better, talent.

The Wallabies are better served having Lonergan and McDermott pushing each other to be better and battling for the starting jersey.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)

Alas we have no domestic professional competition and Super Rugby is dogshite so not really sure where that talent is supposed to spring from. Perhaps my butthole?
We do though at loosehead. Bell, Kailea, Hodgman & Gibbon would all offer more than Slipper