• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
- the officiating around that disallowed All Blacks try in minute 61 gets the ‘worst officiating of the RC’ award
That really was a shocker. I also get the not rewarding the pinning the player in rubbish, but that early ruck of ours with the AB player flopping around proceeded by a knock on I thought was poor officiating. The AB player clearly impacted the ruck speed, irrespective of the tactics teams are using.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Here I was thinking it was the 45th minute one from Pietsch right into Jordan's breadbasket that everyone was blaming Wright for on the night. Poor guy is copping it for everyone else's mistakes this week.

That said, I think the kick your talking about was actually Paisami (the one off a scrum where Reiko gets a hand on it), but that one was a piece of truly terrible reffing - Sam Cane puts a blatant shoulder charge on Paisami after the kick and it never gets looked at. Still can't believe that one was missed, Cane is running a lateral, slightly forward line (away from the ball) and just has no rights to step into Paisami's path, let alone take him out. Should have been a yellow card.

If Paisami wasn't taken out he would have made it to the ball well in advance of Ikitau, who was behind him and is first to arrive but beaten by the bounce. Would've allowed Ikitau to hold a wider line and cover that bounce if Paisami didn't regather
I just watched it again and you are 100% correct. So now it’s apologies to Noah Lolesio and I am not going to criticize Paisami with my newly amended post.

Last edited:

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I just watched it again and you are 100% correct. So now it’s apologies to Noah Lolesio and I am not going to criticize Pasami with my newly amended post.
I still wouldn't criticize Paisami too much, the kick wasn't perfect but it was the right play and if it had the chase it was entitled to it would've likely come off positively - if there was one thing Paisami did well in this game it was kick chase, he was regularly up in the face of the receiver, particularly off his own kicks

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I still wouldn't criticize Paisami too much, the kick wasn't perfect but it was the right play and if it had the chase it was entitled to it would've likely come off positively - if there was one thing Paisami did well in this game it was kick chase, he was regularly up in the face of the receiver, particularly off his own kicks
Yes, I said I wasn’t going to criticize him. If you do what the officials did (and me initially) and ignore the late and illegal hit from cane it was a shit kick. Once you factor that in it was a rehearsed play that should have ended better than it did. I am surprised the commentators and Wilson didn’t make a bigger deal out of it, although Wilson probably didn’t have eyes on it either.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes, I said I wasn’t going to criticize him. If you do what the officials did (and me initially) and ignore the late and illegal hit from cane it was a shit kick. Once you factor that in it was a rehearsed play that should have ended better than it did. I am surprised the commentators and Wilson didn’t make a bigger deal out of it, although Wilson probably didn’t have eyes on it either.
Oh lol, I completely missed the not part.

As far as making a big deal out of it, it's tricky with those because it happens behind play and there's another minute or so of ball in play before a goal line penalty. From the wallabies side it's probably on Paisami to raise it with Wilson, but I also understand just getting on with the game. It's something that should always be picked up by the officials though, more so the TMO/touchies then the actual ref, but it's a fairly common place for interference and they should be able to pick that up live(ish) and call it back when the play ends.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
With regards to the defence pattern, my understanding was that one of the primary aims was to create the opportunity for a lot of dominant 2 man tackles. One thing that struck me was how many one person tackles were being made and many of them were low tackles which brought players down but allowed easy, quick ball.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
With regards to the defence pattern, my understanding was that one of the primary aims was to create the opportunity for a lot of dominant 2 man tackles. One thing that struck me was how many one person tackles were being made and many of them were low tackles which brought players down but allowed easy, quick ball.
Laurie Fisher might need a physics lesson if his aim is to create dominant tackles from passive line speed

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Here I was thinking it was the 45th minute one from Pietsch right into Jordan's breadbasket that everyone was blaming Wright for on the night. Poor guy is copping it for everyone else's mistakes this week.

That said, I think the kick your talking about was actually Paisami (the one off a scrum where Reiko gets a hand on it), but that one was a piece of truly terrible reffing - Sam Cane puts a blatant shoulder charge on Paisami after the kick and it never gets looked at. Still can't believe that one was missed, Cane is running a lateral, slightly forward line (away from the ball) and just has no rights to step into Paisami's path, let alone take him out. Should have been a yellow card.

If Paisami wasn't taken out he would of made it to the ball well in advance of Ikitau, who was behind him and is first to arrive but beaten by the bounce. Would've allowed Ikitau to hold a wider line and cover that bounce if Paisami didn't regather

I just watched it again and you are 100% correct. So now it’s apologies to Noah Lolesio and I am not going to criticize Paisami with my newly amended post.
Paisami did much the same in the first test too IIRC.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Reiko was a better Winger, but lost pace
larry-david-unsure.gif

rieko.gif

Khun Phil

Bob McCowan (2)
I have just watched the replay, I thought we were pretty good for 55 minutes. Even the other 25 minutes wasn’t that bad, we let 2 tries in and obviously the defensive system is an issue, but is that because it’s the wrong system, or just that they haven’t fully adapted to it yet? There was basically a 10 minute period in the second half where we lost the game and we were unlucky not to score on several occasions in the last 10 minutes or so, notwithstanding some outstanding defense from NZ. I made some comments along the way:

- can’t judge Tupou too much, he was clearly carrying an injury from minute 1 and was pretty bloody good considering . That play when he went out down the blindside, I don’t think he was expecting the ball.
- the kickoff when frost was tackled in the air, why wasn’t that a card?
- not suggesting the kick at goal to go to 13-12 was the wrong option but I think we would have scored a try if we took the line out or even a scrum, we had some good go forward going on
- I don’t think we can improve on this back row much at the moment. Charlie Cale might usurp Wilson eventually but right now, these are the right 4 guys. Wilson is slightly skewed to an attack role and Valetini to a defensive one.
- the Peranara fucked up quick tap and blaming the ref LOL
- Pietsch is one of the answers, purely for his work ethic. Williams is another answer
- the kick from Paisami out of the 22 followed by the ignored late shoulder charge from Cane in the 52nd minute was a momentum changer from which we could not recover
- Schmidt clearly wants to get minutes into Lolesio
- the officiating around that disallowed All Blacks try in minute 61 gets the ‘worst officiating of the RC’ award
- I don’t really get the Kellaway hate. The pass from Wright that went into touch wasn’t because Kellaway wasn’t running fast enough, it was because it was a shit pass. Both those players were 6/10 but neither made enough meters for their respective positions
Interesting that kick for goal decision by the Wallabies.The commentators said it was a good decision to take the 3,but then praised the All Blacks when they did the opposite just before half time(Harrison did say,let us wait and see if it is a good decision!).I also thought we were a good chance of a try,with a lot of momentum.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
2nd half I spotted a lot more 2 man tackles, but the ABs also walked through our defesnive line regularly which is a key issue with double up on defence. IF they get the ball away (which the highly skilled AB forwards can do) then you are stuffed.

Rhino_rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
2nd half I spotted a lot more 2 man tackles, but the ABs also walked through our defesnive line regularly which is a key issue with double up on defence. IF they get the ball away (which the highly skilled AB forwards can do) then you are stuffed.
That's a great observation. The two-man tackle strategy can be effective in stopping momentum, but as you said, it's risky. When you're doubling up on defense, if the ball carrier manages to get the offload away, especially against a team like the All Blacks, it leaves gaps in the defensive line. Their forwards are skilled enough to capitalize on those situations, and once they break through, the defensive structure can unravel quickly. It’s a delicate balance—putting in those dominant tackles while ensuring that you're not leaving too much space for offloads or quick ball.

Rhino_rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Yeah received a well timed pass, still not as quick as he used to be.
Yeah, you can definitely see he’s lost a bit of that explosive speed he used to have. It’s natural as players get older, but his experience and game sense seem to make up for it in many situations. Timing and positioning often play an even bigger role for him now than raw pace.