• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
It’s academic anyway, but I think it’s safe to assume that if he continued on the same trajectory if he was still at the Brumbies before being let go by the Waratahs he would be somewhere around the squad. Certainly wouldn’t say he’d be a walk in though, agree we are pretty well stocked in that area.
that's my view as well. We need more quality tight forwards and halves. not wingers

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I see him at 13 or 15 longer term. I don't really see the point of putting him on the wing in the meantime.
I'm probably wrong though.
I put this on the Wobs24 thread, i think he is earmarked as our solution at 12. And I agree, there is no value at putting him on the wing if this is the case. He’s being paid a fortune so to start with just put him in the Aus A side in whatever position they want him to play, he’ll probably make a few fuck ups but as they say you learn more from your errors than your good things.

Last edited:

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Have only been able to watch half the game so far (but have read the comments).

Must admit I’m surprised at some of the comments re Tupou. He’s still got a fair way to go to get back to his best but I thought that was his best showing so far this year and was mostly pretty positive. Certainly he seemed to scrum well. Would love to get more from him but he seems to be trending in the right direction.

Overall I thought there was some pretty good endeavour in the first half in attack. Defence still has a long way to go.

Encouraging first run on for Dylan Pietch. Not sure he will ever be a world better but he definitely seems ready to take over Kellaway’s spot as the dependable winger who works hard and generally takes the right option.
Tupou is so unfit it is ridiculous. He can scrum but he is a passenger everywhere else.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I put this on the Wobs24 thread, i think he is earmarked as our solution at 12. And I agree, there is no value at putting him on the wing if this is the case. He’s being paid a fortune so to start with just put him in the Aus A side in whatever position they want him to play, he’ll probably make a few fuck ups but as they say you learn more from your errors than your good things.
I think anyone can be a solution at 12. Paisami is all effort but he's definitely not the guy. He makes the wrong passing decision every time if there is the slightest pressure on him. He's predictable with his limited skill set. At least he's put the grubbers away that worked once so he wen't full Kurtley about it.

Iv'e sat on this game and re watched most of it and overall feel slightly better about it than the 1st Test. Structures looked to be forming and working. Few moments in the first half had TJ and Ardie getting frustrated.

Good to see a response from guys like Valetini who was poor a week ago but came out on both sides of the ball looking to impose himself.

Still a long way off being genuinely competitive on a regular basis with a Top 5 side. We can hang with them for 50 mins but can't sustain it. Can we put together a full 80 by the end of the tour? Would be a big step in the right direction.

- Need genuine pace out wide.
- White has to be done after seeing the team at least flow. We don't need a dummy half who eventually puts up a kick.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Related question. Why is Australia the only team full of pro rugby players that needs an entire year to adapt to a defensive system?
I think it’s because everyone has been taught a rush defense system but we are going back to Laurie’s 1950s system and it’s against all the players’ natural instincts. It could prove to be a master stroke but it certainly isn’t working at the moment.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
The current game is played with pace.

If you sit and play the bend don't break method of defence you will concede eventually against sides who have good ball retention. This is a defence type that works in age grade rugby as errors tend to lead to turnovers before a defence breaks down but not against top sides.

I think you need to put the pressure back on sides and attack with your defence.

You don't think the European sides won't love to just maintain possession and work down the field even if results in 3 points every time.

Last edited:

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think they do to be honest

The system is highly flawed. Even if executed 100%, it allows the opposition time, space and momentum. The players are on a hiding to nothing

I think this might be pretty close to the mark. The structural issues associated with the system automatically put the players under pressure, because the opposition is always working with front foot ball. No wonder the players are always so exhausted.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Apologies to Tom Wright, it was Lolesio. Minute 52, it was the next 10 minutes the ABs scored 2 tries.

I have amended my original post.
Here I was thinking it was the 45th minute one from Pietsch right into Jordan's breadbasket that everyone was blaming Wright for on the night. Poor guy is copping it for everyone else's mistakes this week.

That said, I think the kick your talking about was actually Paisami (the one off a scrum where Reiko gets a hand on it), but that one was a piece of truly terrible reffing - Sam Cane puts a blatant shoulder charge on Paisami after the kick and it never gets looked at. Still can't believe that one was missed, Cane is running a lateral, slightly forward line (away from the ball) and just has no rights to step into Paisami's path, let alone take him out. Should have been a yellow card.

If Paisami wasn't taken out he would of made it to the ball well in advance of Ikitau, who was behind him and is first to arrive but beaten by the bounce. Would've allowed Ikitau to hold a wider line and cover that bounce if Paisami didn't regather

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
The defensive plan we are running with at the moment is a passive defense designed to soak up pressure and exploit the opposition's mistakes.
It is a perfectly acceptable if a little old-fashioned style of defense.
The problem with it is that it requires that you play an extremely disciplined mistake free game to implement it properly.
There is nothing to be gained by sweating on the opposition's errors if you are more likely to make a mistake than they are.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think it’s because everyone has been taught a rush defense system but we are going back to Laurie’s 1950s system and it’s against all the players’ natural instincts. It could prove to be a master stroke but it certainly isn’t working at the moment.
It only looks like a master-stroke if someone is wagering money on the opposition! It has been found out in every game.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah they seem to falling all over each other. Players who are otherwise dominant in defence at Super Rugby level like Valetini and McReight.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Must admit I’m surprised at some of the comments re Tupou. He’s still got a fair way to go to get back to his best but I thought that was his best showing so far this year and was mostly pretty positive. Certainly he seemed to scrum well. Would love to get more from him but he seems to be trending in the right direction.
Maybe we are being a little critical. It's just things, like at ~25min mark when he shifts to the blindside and proceeds to get himself bundled into touch. He then follows that up by giving away a penalty in the AB maul from the lineout with the ref clearly instructing him to be away. He then has a lazy no arms tackle on Barrett at ~29min and has another infringement in the maul at the 40mins mark - though to be fair on that one, the Wallabies were struggling to contain.

He's also just a bit passive in some of his work. I felt like some of his ruck work can be a tad lazy, like at the 15min mark where he was slow to support Frost and De Groot is able to flick the ball back. The ruck around the 31min mark likewise wasn't great. I can't recall him really carrying the ball much at all, often shifting it on.

But yes, his scrummaging was solid and his steal at ~17mins was also good. We don't know what the coaches are asking of him in terms of his role and how injured he was, so maybe he's doing all thats asked, but I personally still feel like he's off his best.

Last edited: