• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Even though the first half looked good, we had 67 attacking rucks to 29 at half time if florugby stats are correct. And yet had made 171m to 237m.

We worked a lot harder for less return. This is where the fatigue and errors come from.
Just so I understand you, are you calling attacking rucks where we have the ball? This is where the opposition burn energy defending against us.
The inability to make ground is a backs/game plan problem.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tom Wright is pretty much the only strike weapon we have though. The whole team knows it.

He always plays his worst when he tries to win the game on his own, but sometimes it's also the only way we are going to win
Agreed, but tests are less forgiving

And I don't want just highlight his moment, it is a symptom of a team multiplying errors under pressure

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just so I understand you, are you calling attacking rucks where we have the ball? This is where the opposition burn energy defending against us.
The defense don't burn energy if you don't make it over the advantage line. It's significantly more fatiguing for the team on attack to go through multiple phases going nowhere.

More player involvements as you need more.players in the ruck to secure the ball, running further etc

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
The defense don't burn energy if you don't make it over the advantage line. It's significantly more fatiguing for the team on attack to go through multiple phases going nowhere.

More player involvements as you need more.players in the ruck to secure the ball, running further etc
We are entitled to disagree on this, my observation of the game was, we picked and went forcing them to tackle and when it was stopped they built a ruck defence as well as contested if they thought they could win it. We had one man in action with some supporting and they need a tackler, potential jackler, jackle defenders plus defenders for the next move.
I thought it was accepted in rugby union that defence burnt more energy than attack. Has the world changed?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tom Wright is pretty much the only strike weapon we have though. The whole team knows it.

He always plays his worst when he tries to win the game on his own, but sometimes it's also the only way we are going to win
We need someone with better hands, timing and judgement to be putting Tom in half spaces or spaces and he will carve up. Currently, he makes some opportunities on his own, but generally ends up with little / no support, which, I think, leads to trying the low percentage offload / kick etc...
He'd be a killer in attack in a better back-line.
I don't know where they think someone like Sua'alii is possible Wallaby fit, but I reckon he and Tom would be a significant threat.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
We need someone with better hands, timing and judgement to be putting Tom in half spaces or spaces and he will carve up. Currently, he makes some opportunities on his own, but generally ends up with little / no support, which, I think, leads to trying the low percentage offload / kick etc...
He'd be a killer in attack in a better back-line.
I don't know where they think someone like Sua'alii is possible Wallaby fit, but I reckon he and Tom would be a significant threat.
Or a better full back with better hands, timing and judgement. But that could well equate to the majority of our players.

dru

David Wilson (68)

Agreed - all things being equal. I don't think it worked like that in this test.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Or a better full back with better hands, timing and judgement. But that could well equate to the majority of our players.
I'm not arguing that Tom is perfect, he isn't. I was responding to the post about him being our main strike-weapon in the backs, which I think he clearly is. I was noting what might maximise that potential. Nobody else is really making a claim as our 15, so we might be waiting a while for a better one to come by!
Of course he needs to get better at decision making himself, like about "the whole squad".

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not arguing that Tom is perfect, he isn't. I was responding to the post about him being our main strike-weapon in the backs, which I think he clearly is. I was noting what might maximise that potential. Nobody else is really making a claim as our 15, so we might be waiting a while for a better one to come by!
Of course he needs to get better at decision making himself, like about "the whole squad".
I point to your point to justify my point!!!
We need someone with better hands, timing and judgement to be putting Tom in half spaces