• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
The defense don't burn energy if you don't make it over the advantage line. It's significantly more fatiguing for the team on attack to go through multiple phases going nowhere.

More player involvements as you need more.players in the ruck to secure the ball, running further etc
Watched the early breakdown work in the AB's 22. The first one was a lineout, Ist a Maul, 3 breakdowns with AB's putting 2 players in as did we on attack, then sent it wide for Wright. The second one was from a tap kick, 3 breakdowns and try by McRight. So energy in attack was normal but AB's lot of movement and adjustments, crouching etc for the D. I looked for some energy expenditure attack v defence and came up with nothing quotable.

Read this regarding Wright on RPass:The fullback finished the Test with the least number of tackles made for any player (1) and also only a couple of carries in attack.
I think this is an amazing stat for an international FB, never seen anything like it. BTW I accept his attacking prowess.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thinking about last night's game, the thing that stands out to me is our organistion in defence. Or, more accurately, the fact that there doesn't seem to be any. There were a few missed tackles, but more importantly as soon as the opposition get a couple of offloads, and/or changes the direction of the attack, we just appear to have no idea how to react. This happened in the second half against the Pumas, first 20 minutes last weekend and at various times in both halves last night. While everything is straight-forward it's okay, but as soon as someone from the opposition steps away from the script, we become headless chooks, 15 individuals with no idea what to do. I don't know whether the structure is at fault or the players can't or won't impliment it, but I do now that as long as that's the case we will never beat a top four team.

My second take is that in attack we offer nothing from 9, 10 and 12. This makes defence very easy for the opposition, and negates the effective attacking weapons we have out wide like Wright, Ikatau and Peitsch. Gordon plays well as an individual, but creates nothing for those around him, Lolesio I thought had one of his better games but really doesn't threaten or deceive, and he has a weak boot, sort of Foley light. Paisami plays a game that works okay in Super rugby, and might work in test rugby if he was 110kg, however he turns out to just be a little guy who runs straight at defenders, races up out of the defensive line and throws in the odd shit kick.

My third observation is that our discipline is okay until we get behind and our defence starts to fall apart, then we start to go back to the bad old days of careless and lazy penalties.

Despite all that, I genuinly think we are improving. We are starting to put together some effective forwards, the set piece keeps improving, and our back four are going okay, although Kellaway's tackling worries me. Not sure what's going on there, he used to be fairly reliable in defence. Plenty of promising youth coming through too. A hell of a long way to go, but there are some green shoots.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Tom Wright’s biggest problem this test season…

Is being surrounded by slow, underperforming wingers.

In particular Koroibete last week, and Kellaway yesterday failing to provide adequate support when he makes a break.

I thought Pietsch did very well in his first start, and it will be good to have Daugunu back, and eventually Toole get his shot.

I would also expect our highly paid Rooster to be starting out his rugby career out wide.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Suallii will be playing at 14 you'd think. At least to start with.

I think ultimately we need his power in the centres though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Suallii will be playing at 14 you'd think. At least to start with.

I think ultimately we need his power in the centres though.
I don't think 14 will be ideal for him, really. Not sure I'd put him there to work things out. I'm probably wrong though. ;)
I agree with your second statement.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We're crying out for a proper boot in the back 3 at the moment. Sua'ali'i definitely looks to have the technical ability there, if he can get the tactical nuances of kicking right it would be very welcome. For all the complaints about Wright's pass into touch last night it was still one of our better (non-penalty) exits.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Change of signature inbound.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
"Abandon fear.
Abandon the terror you project.
Rest in this, in the clear light of existence. This light is divine.”

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's where they started Folau. Do you mean 11 instead? I think Suallii has enough of a boot and aerial presence to play 14.
I see him at 13 or 15 longer term. I don't really see the point of putting him on the wing in the meantime.
I'm probably wrong though.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The chat around this poor kid is peak Designated Messiah.

btw who here is responsible for maintaining The Wallabies Designated Messiah Family Tree? WHO?

How far back does it go? Before Mat Rogers? Before Lote Tuquiri even?
You reckon? I think its been pretty subdued tbh.

Its more or less universally agreed that we have overpaid for the guy and have once again committed the sin of throwing cash at a league winger when we could be throwing it at a lock or some such.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Have only been able to watch half the game so far (but have read the comments).

Must admit I’m surprised at some of the comments re Tupou. He’s still got a fair way to go to get back to his best but I thought that was his best showing so far this year and was mostly pretty positive. Certainly he seemed to scrum well. Would love to get more from him but he seems to be trending in the right direction.

Overall I thought there was some pretty good endeavour in the first half in attack. Defence still has a long way to go.

Encouraging first run on for Dylan Pietch. Not sure he will ever be a world better but he definitely seems ready to take over Kellaway’s spot as the dependable winger who works hard and generally takes the right option.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I see him at 13 or 15 longer term. I don't really see the point of putting him on the wing in the meantime.
I'm probably wrong though.

For me it's more about our strength at 14, we don't need an addition al talent there that could feature closer in.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I have just watched the replay, I thought we were pretty good for 55 minutes. Even the other 25 minutes wasn’t that bad, we let 2 tries in and obviously the defensive system is an issue, but is that because it’s the wrong system, or just that they haven’t fully adapted to it yet? There was basically a 10 minute period in the second half where we lost the game and we were unlucky not to score on several occasions in the last 10 minutes or so, notwithstanding some outstanding defense from NZ. I made some comments along the way:

- can’t judge Tupou too much, he was clearly carrying an injury from minute 1 and was pretty bloody good considering . That play when he went out down the blindside, I don’t think he was expecting the ball.
- the kickoff when frost was tackled in the air, why wasn’t that a card?
- not suggesting the kick at goal to go to 13-12 was the wrong option but I think we would have scored a try if we took the line out or even a scrum, we had some good go forward going on
- I don’t think we can improve on this back row much at the moment. Charlie Cale might usurp Wilson eventually but right now, these are the right 4 guys. Wilson is slightly skewed to an attack role and Valetini to a defensive one.
- the Peranara fucked up quick tap and blaming the ref LOL
- Pietsch is one of the answers, purely for his work ethic. Williams is another answer
- the kick from Paisami out of the 22 followed by the ignored late shoulder charge from Cane in the 52nd minute was a momentum changer from which we could not recover
- Schmidt clearly wants to get minutes into Lolesio
- the officiating around that disallowed All Blacks try in minute 61 gets the ‘worst officiating of the RC’ award
- I don’t really get the Kellaway hate. The pass from Wright that went into touch wasn’t because Kellaway wasn’t running fast enough, it was because it was a shit pass. Both those players were 6/10 but neither made enough meters for their respective positions

Last edited:

JackJill

Ward Prentice (10)
I don’t have a clue how these world rugby rankings work but 10th in the world being below Fiji and Italy seems like they are slightly taking the piss.

Are we really about to be dropped to play Pacific Nations Cup now?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I have just watched the replay, I thought we were pretty good for 55 minutes. Even the other 25 minutes wasn’t that bad, we let 2 tries in and obviously the defensive system is an issue, but is that because it’s the wrong system, or just that they haven’t fully adapted to it yet? There was basically a 10 minute period in the second half where we lost the game and we were unlucky not to score on several occasions in the last 10 minutes or so, notwithstanding some outstanding defense from NZ. I made some comments along the way:

- can’t judge Tupou too much, he was clearly carrying an injury from minute 1 and was pretty bloody good considering . That play when he went out down the blindside, I don’t think he was expecting the ball.
- the kickoff when frost was tackled in the air, why wasn’t that a card?
- not suggesting the kick at goal to go to 13-12 was the wrong option but I think we would have scored a try if we took the line out or even a scrum, we had some good go forward going on
- I don’t think we can improve on this back row much at the moment. Charlie Cale might usurp Wilson eventually but right now, these are the right 4 guys. Wilson is slightly skewed to an attack role and Valetini to a defensive one.
- the Peranara fucked up quick tap and blaming the ref LOL
- Pietsch is one of the answers, purely for his work ethic. Williams is another answer
- that poor kick from Wright was a momentum changer from which we could not recover
- Schmidt clearly wants to get minutes into Lolesio
- the officiating around that disallowed All Blacks try in minute 61 gets the ‘worst officiating of the RC’ award
- I don’t really get the Kellaway hate. The pass from Wright that went into touch wasn’t because Kellaway wasn’t running fast enough, it was because it was a shit pass. Both those players were 6/10 but neither made enough meters for their respective positions
Agree with most of this - although I would point out Wilson topped the tackle count last week and was second highest this week so he is pretty industrious both sides of the ball.

It suggest the contact with Wilson & Valetini is more workhorse v impact. I’d also suggest that is the reason Gleeson replaces Valetini as they are both filling the same role.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Agree with most of this - although I would point out Wilson topped the tackle count last week and was second highest this week so he is pretty industrious both sides of the ball.

It suggest the contact with Wilson & Valetini is more workhorse v impact. I’d also suggest that is the reason Gleeson replaces Valetini as they are both filling the same role.
Sure, and Valetini would have some pretty good attack stats as well. I just mentioned the skew in their roles as a point of differentiation as a lot of pundits claim they don’t work well together as they play similar roles.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
some Irish lad rekons mack Hanson would walk into the wallabies squad. I'm not so sure. wingers isn't a massive issue with the wallabies. what do you all think ?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
some Irish lad rekons mack Hanson would walk into the wallabies squad. I'm not so sure. wingers isn't a massive issue with the wallabies. what do you all think ?
It’s academic anyway, but I think it’s safe to assume that if he continued on the same trajectory if he was still at the Brumbies before being let go by the Waratahs he would be somewhere around the squad. Certainly wouldn’t say he’d be a walk in though, agree we are pretty well stocked in that area.