• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
If I was a Wallaby fan, I would hope so.

Slipper is kind of emblematic of what has been wrong with Australian rugby for the last 10-odd years.

A player who has never been considered in the elite tier in his position but seemingly has never had any serious threat to be replaced and thus, has more caps than anyone. Even this year, many still see him as an important cog in the Wallaby pack.

I'd want younger players to push guys like him, Ala'alatoa and Nic White right out of the selection frame.
This guy fucking gets it. Gee some mediocre performers have been stalwarts in recent years.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slipper is kind of emblematic of what has been wrong with Australian rugby for the last 10-odd years.

A player who has never been considered in the elite tier in his position but seemingly has never had any serious threat to be replaced and thus, has more caps than anyone. Even this year, many still see him as an important cog in the Wallaby pack.

I'd want younger players to push guys like him, Ala'alatoa and Nic White right out of the selection frame.

What a giant load of revisionist bullshit...

Just completely void of any reality.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When was Slipper ever considered as one of the best Test props in the world?
I guess when he was a regular Wallaby and the Wallabies were regularly up in the top 2 or 3 in the world. Probably turns, again, on what you mean by 'best in the world' though.

It has been a while since he was there, though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When was Slipper ever considered as one of the best Test props in the world?

This is what you wrote...

A player who has never been considered in the elite tier in his position but seemingly has never had any serious threat to be replaced and thus, has more caps than anyone.

Earning 135 test caps, playing in four World Cups and captaining your country probably lands somebody within the "elite tier" of their sport.

That's not exactly a list of achievements somebody can just Bradbury their way into.

Last edited:

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I’m not sure I’d have Slipper as a starter in a world XV at any point in his career however I’d be surprised if there were more than 3 or 4 players who were CLEARLY better than him at any point in time since he debuted.

Wallaby’s scrum was a laughing stock before his arrival and he’s not even a pot plant. Pointing at him as a symptom of our problems is just so far off reality. We need more players like him, not fewer.

If we had a team full of players who were about fifth best in the world in their position we would have won way more games in the last 10 years than we did, I’m sure of that.

His career is definitely coming to an end and part of that is his consistency will really struggle as we saw last hitout. I’d have Kailea in front of him atm but not by that much because at Slipper’s best he’s still able to plug heaps of holes in our team.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
He was a beam of hope when you look at the like of our 2007 WC props of Dunning, Holmes, Shepherdson and the huff and puff of the fraud that was Al Baxter.

He's heading towards the end of his career but until he's being outplayed by other Aussies it feels like piling on for the sake of it. Especially in a squad that probably needs a few older heads to give leadership.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Earning 135 test caps, playing in four World Cups and captaining your country probably lands somebody within the "elite tier" of their sport.
There is a blur of reality in both Bullrush and yourself. Slipper has always been a mediocre prop but a good player, he ain't the first prop we have had who's average in the scrum. What we don't have is a file of good young props pushing guys like Slipper back to Super Rugby: the same old problem we have had forever an inability to ID talent who could step up. In props there ain't enough of them and the Tahs last season proved there are none in senior club rugby either (assuming the other states are similar).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is a blur of reality in both Bullrush and yourself. Slipper has always been a mediocre prop but a good player, he ain't the first prop we have had who's average in the scrum. What we don't have is a file of good young props pushing guys like Slipper back to Super Rugby: the same old problem we have had forever an inability to ID talent who could step up. In props there ain't enough of them and the Tahs last season proved there are none in senior club rugby either (assuming the other states are similar).

Blur of reality...?

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bell, Kailea, Nonggnorr will be around for a while.
Bell has been a decent Wallaby since his first selection. Nongorr is OK but the problem is outside of Bell and Tupoa we don't have any International level props. I think the problem is we don't value a hard scrummaging prop who does the tough stuff but can't sprint for 50 metres.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Bell has been a decent Wallaby since his first selection. Nongorr is OK but the problem is outside of Bell and Tupoa we don't have any International level props. I think the problem is we don't value a hard scrummaging prop who does the tough stuff but can't sprint for 50 metres.
You said you hadn't noticed anyone pushing for selection. These guys are absolute babies in prop years and are pushing for selection. They will be part of Wallaby set up for the next decade.

Find me an international level prop under the age of 23.