• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kerevi was in great form in that period... he and Ikitau made for a world class centre combination.

Quade never looked as good in the limited tests he played afterwards.

Interesting that Lolesio and Kerevi only partnered up in four games - the 21-38 loss to the ABs in 2021, and then the English series the following year.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Stewart was excellent for the Force this year combining brilliantly with Donaldson as a second playmaker.
I simply cannot accept any comment that says Stewart and Donaldson combined brilliantly for the Force. How many games did the Force win this year? And where did they finish on the ladder? They were just one of the also-rans, easy beats and no-one performed in any way that could be described as "brilliant".

But put the hyperbole aside and I will be watching his or their (as the case may be) performance(s) with interest this weekend.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ahh, but only because Tua was ineligible and is now unavailable as well. Still, if Super Rugby form was sincerely the selection criterion for the Wallabies, as measured by success in the 2024 Super Rugby competition, then the backline would look like :

9 Lonergan, 10 Lolesio, 11 Koroibete, 12 Whoknows, 13 Ikitau, 14 Toole, 15 Wright.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I simply cannot accept any comment that says Stewart and Donaldson combined brilliantly for the Force.
100%. The combination was so strong that it powered the Force to second/ third last on the ladder.

The Wallabies used to be reserved for good/excellent Super Rugby players, now we’re at the stage where just being picked in a Super Rugby squad is the threshold.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I forgot that the other Aussie super rugby teams dominated super rugby. It takes more than 2 players to win a game and someone can play well in a losing team. There are not any other options that can be justified

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I didn’t say anything about other teams dominating so don’t create a strawman (but by inference there must have been 3 Australian teams who were higher performing and supported by their 9/10/12 axis).

It‘s reasonable to say that Stewart/ Donaldson are the best available options we currently have, but don’t pretend it’s because of irresistible form during Super Rugby; because they objectively didn’t show it.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I should have stated that it’s reasonable to argue that they are the best available (which is a low bar), but it’s not because of irresistible and consistent form over Super Rugby.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I forgot that the other Aussie super rugby teams dominated super rugby. It takes more than 2 players to win a game and someone can play well in a losing team. There are not any other options that can be justified
Two out of two home and away. Pretty sure the Brumbies were significantly better than the Force in Super this year and probably as close as it could be to dominating them. And really, most observers would say Lolesio had a stronger year than Donaldson. Donaldson and Stewart were not individually nor collectively a dominant force this year.

I am not a great fan of Noah's, and have called for Ben to be given a go in the Wallabies this year, but he has shown absolutely zilch in the opportunities he's had. It is time to settle on one of those two and let him grow into the spot with Lynagh or some other young player given the development opportunities. We don't need to be swapping and changing between two marginal test players to the detriment of them both and of the team as a whole.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think there is bugger all between the 10s, they are all just average, we need to just pick one

I think pick the unit who will work within the structure the coach wants, persist and building some cohesion

Changing after a shit match will not help, none of the other options are any better, there will be shit matches, we are rubbish and we are playing better sides

To me, our only hope is to develop a "team", with a clear plan so everyone knows where they should be and can create options for the ball player

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
I think there is bugger all between the 10s, they are all just average, we need to just pick one

I think pick the unit who will work within the structure the coach wants, persist and building some cohesion

Changing after a shit match will not help, none of the other options are any better, there will be shit matches, we are rubbish and we are playing better sides

To me, our only hope is to develop a "team", with a clear plan so everyone knows where they should be and can create options for the ball player
I agree 100% with this...in the short term. However, at what stage do you identify an emerging talent, and bring them into this structure? 3 matches, 5 matches, 10? And if the emerging talent has a better game than the incumbent - do you drop the incumbent.

Develop a 'team' is more than just developing the 15 or 23 on the paddock - that's the point. It includes developing the 2nd and 3rd string also, so that they can fit into the 'team' to do a job.

This is why Joe and his team have such a tough job. Right now, he has limited influence over the depth and development of the 2nd and 3rd string players. He can only pick what is available. For me, this is my biggest frustration at the moment. We seem to have limited depth - I believe there are players outside of the 'normal' pathways (i.e. Super Rugby) who could strengthen some key positions - but how do you develop them, given the limited Test season? Where are the Aus A v Maori or NZ A matches...where are the Aus A tours of the Nothern Hemisphere etc?

There are no easy answers...and we all know it will take 'time'. Sadly, I am not sure RA has much time...and the Wallabies have 2 key milestones in 25 and 27, at which they need to perform...or RA and our game in this country will face a very bleak future.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New captain...

Twelve months after taking the field for Brothers in their Hospital Cup final, Harry Wilson is set to be announced as the Wallabies’ captain for their Rugby Championship clash against Argentina in Buenos Aires.

It’s a dramatic rise for the 24-year-old, who last year failed to catch the eye of Eddie Jones after years of floating in and out of the team under Dave Rennie.

But a combination of factors, including injuries, late arrivals, and tactical selections, has seen Wilson rocket to the top of the leadership tree for the Wallabies.