• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
It's not my country. Actually I'm supporting Australia for this one. 2 loses in a row could be a disaster for Australia

Both are my favourite Tier 1 nations

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
A 6/2 bench could be a good option for this clash but Schmidt never picked a 6/2 bench, not even against Boks. So I'm not sure if he's that kind of head coach

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
So not really a 6/2, but more of a 5.5/2.5 kinda thing. Didn't Eddie try that with Kemeny?

I wonder if Joe even reads this Forum. He should. It's chock full of gold...you're welcome Joe.

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lolesio, Donaldson and Lynagh were the form 10’s this season thus the reason they were selected by Schmidt. Bowen and Pasitoa are talented players but need a season or two dominating Super Rugby before even being close to being considered. Same applies to Edmed, HMP and co. Test footy is a slightly different level to club footy. People here seem to think that we can throw an inexperienced 10 in the hot seat and all of a sudden they’ll be world beaters. It’s comical.

Our young 10’s don’t have the luxury of a forward pack that dominates up front internationally. This makes a difficult job even more difficult. I have faith that Joe knows what he’s doing and if those players that he has selected aren’t up to the job, then he’ll move them on. Patience is a virtue.

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
You and I are on the same page...as far as historical logic goes - but I am not sure our old man logic holds any more.

For example, I agree completely that Test footy is a big step up from club footy. It used to be a small step up from Super Footy...but now the step up from Super Rugby to test Rugby is almost the same as the step up from Club to test level. Some players are just made for test footy.

Granted, he is an outside back - but Jorgensen played 2 1st grade games and 8 Super Rugby games before he made his test debut - and he looked ok to me (limited exposure - granted). For some positions - I still believe that form means less...and class means more (Mortlock was selected from Colts!!).

All I am suggesting is that maybe the old guide of 'let him perform at grade, super rugby level for a few years before we expose him to Test Rugby' is an ageing formula for positions where pure talent and a head/heart for the big stage could also be a consideration?

Don't get me wrong - I luv Joe and his current team, and I am very very patient....but I also luv the chat and thinking differently/sharing ideas on how we can keep our young talented athletes in this great game and get them competing on the world stage more and sooner. 4th in the Olympics ain't no accident - we have crazy athletic talent in this country - enough to compete with any side in the world.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't he saying the step up from Super Rugby to Test is larger than it used to be? Almost as large as the step up from club to Super Rugby (club rugby being garbage). I think that's probably kinda true. Super Rugby is basically touch when compared to test rugby these days.

Nah, this...

No his saying the step up from Club Rugby and Super Rugby is the about the same, so pick people from club rugby..

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
No, I am saying that the gap between Super Rugby and Test Rugby is much larger these days...therefore, not a good guide on how prepared a player is for test Rugby.

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
On re-reading my comment, it does appear I was saying the gap between club and suprt rugby to test level is about the same. This is not what i meant - my bad. See my comments above.