• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
He said their offence was a work in progress and that Schmidt's desire to attack with short kicks had left him sharpening a new set of tools.

"Joe's a really big fan of the short kicking game so that's a bit of an adjustment and something I'm developing really hard, to manipulate the defence with ball on foot," he said."Instead of going contestable, or work our way into territory (with long kicks), it's more attacking, low, flat cross-field kicks."

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well he can pass so that's probably one up on how Paisami has been playing and it is usually required for an attacking backline move. I still think we are missing someone to be the ying to his yang, though.

Edit: Its a weird place the Wallabies find themselves in. A serviceable if not spectacular forward pack with some potentially great props, a dearth of opensides and absolutely no mercurial backline players at all. Its like upsidedown world.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sounds like Lolesio will be there with Gordon if they intend to keep on kicking. Lenny I. and Flook might be a good combination for the kick chase?

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
So true - crazy...almost un-Australian ;-). How did this happen?

For mind, we still have big issues around 10-12. I think we need to try and unlock some exciting new talent there. I really like Stewart in defence...a lot. Provides genuine starch. I am less impressed when it comes to attacking flair. Noah seems to run out of time and is an easy target for opposition 7's and 8's. A decent ball-playing 12 will take pressure off Noah.

So, what am I saying - maybe its time to give Feliuai a run at 12, or throw Lynagh in deep and see if the talent is real. Personally, I think Joe and the wider team still have some work to do re: squad selection prior to Lions. For example, Pasitoa, Bowen might alos push for fly-half duties?

I long for the days where we had the best 12-13 combinations on the planet.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
With just 8 tests left until the Lions, in only 10 months. I can't see how anyone that's not fit and ready to start test match rugby could possibly push for selection unless there was a huge injury issue.

I think probably even Lynagh doesn't have enough time. For better or worse, it's Lolesio and Donaldson

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
Disagree - this is exactly what the Spring Tour is for. Both Bowen and Pasitoa are back playing club footy...and playing well enough to warrant consideration for a spring tour IMO. (although I agree both are very green). My point was - I am not sure we ARE stuck with the current squad. I would like to see Joe push a bit harder to unlock a genuine emerging talent. I cannot believe that a guy who only played 9 Super Rugby games in his entire life is our 2nd best option for fly-half?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
At this point in our development that sounds like a tasty meal ie someone who can catch, pass, tackle and hopefully kick.

Yeh I mean the fact that we are arguing about the pro's and con's of whether Hamish Stewart should be starting for the Wallabies is a bit of a reflection of the lack of talent we currently have in the backline.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
It's going to rain...
dhXNyS1.jpg

Pick the strongest forward packs on field

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i bet at least one will go straight to Carreras who will outflank which ever wing he is opposite and score in te corner, at least one or more will go out on the full. tactical kicking is not one of Oz rugbys better skill sets!

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
If this is the case - wet paddock..this is my 8+6 to get it done.

1. Angus Bell
2. Faessler
3. AA (C)
4. Williams
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Bobby V
7. Tizzano
8. Wilson

Finishers (6-2)
16. BPA
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Frost
20. Gleeson
21. Hooper

Not being a piggy myself - I am a little concerned about our line out jumpers with this pack - so happy to hear other thoughts.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would suggest starting with TT and Bell as the Pumas scrum looked vulnerable in the last test. If we can get on top there and play to the corners it will help our cause no end. I would go

Bell
Fez
TT
Frost
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Valetini
Tizzano
Wilson

Bench
BPA
AAA
Slipper
Williams
Gleeson

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I would love to see just how bad our w/l % is when it's wet.

Argentina strong favorites now, with the # of posts wondering why Lolesio is kicking so much and why he isn't setting our backline on fire even though it's wet and muddy to exceed 100.