• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not sure about this. I assume AAA won't be starting? I'd have given it to Valetini as the other captains are injured. This is a temp situation and forced on us I guess.
Why is Valetini more captain material than Wilson. Frankly I'd be just as shocked is he was chosen.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wilson might struggle to make the starting team when everyone is fit, but he is a good choice for captain out of the current, available group...

The only other viable option was probably Gordon...

Or Tom Wright.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wilson might struggle to make the starting team when everyone is fit, but he is a good choice for captain out of the current, available group...

The only other viable option was probably Gordon...

Or Tom Wright.
I actually think Tom would be a great captain

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Media will make a big deal about 8 captains in 15 tests but really Joe doesn’t have much choice as most of the 8 are injured.

I guess the positive is that likely means Bell and Tupou both starting. Might mean Gordon not back at 9 either as he would have been a good captain option as well
It could, but it could also because Joe wants his captain to be an 80 minute player, halfbacks are generally subbed off with 20-30 to go. I know props are as well but I think AAA and Slips being made captains was because they already had notched that up so he didn't want to anoint a new one unnecessarily. I think it's more a sign that Harry is regarded as a permanent fixture in Joe's 23.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Is it possible that Wright is JSs choice as captain and he has thrown it around since losing him? I imagine McReight or Wright are ideal and good choices.
Fraser McR. will be first choice 7 whenever fit and he is right up there on a level with Valetini as a backrower Marce. If McReight not available them Wright next cab of the rank.
Nah....Valetini is on his own at that level right now. If only JS could clone him so he could play 8 AND 6....

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nah....Valetini is on his own at that level right now. If only JS could clone him so he could play 8 AND 6....
Maybe. It will be about choosing who plays with Valetini and McReight when they are both fit. Valetini has the runs on the board but McReight has been the next great 7 in waiting. He is also in good form.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Valetini would be my captain for this game. He earned it on the pitch. One of the few who could have been a starter in 2011 or 2015 Wallabies team.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Valetini would be my captain for this game. He earned it on the pitch. One of the few who could have been a starter in 2011 or 2015 Wallabies team.
I wonder if he actually doesn't want it... not everyone wants to be captain no matter how good they are.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Not everyone is a good captain either.

Not saying Valetini wouldn’t be - I have no idea. But being a good player and a good captain aren’t the same thing.
I agree but at least you have to be a consistent starter not a paratrooper

scrans21

Ward Prentice (10)
If and when everyone is fit then our best backrow IMO would be Wright at 6, McReight at 7, Valetini at 8 and Wilson at 20. But they aren't all fit. So based off the players we have available our best backrow is Valetini at 6, Tizzano at 7 and Wilson at 8.