• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It could, but it could also because Joe wants his captain to be an 80 minute player, halfbacks are generally subbed off with 20-30 to go. I know props are as well but I think AAA and Slips being made captains was because they already had notched that up so he didn't want to anoint a new one unnecessarily. I think it's more a sign that Harry is regarded as a permanent fixture in Joe's 23.
If Joe names Gleeson on the bench who would you think he'd replace during the game?

Overtime

Chris McKivat (8)
This is a good choice given the circumstances - Wilson as captain. I think he is a very good player with heart.

My preferred backrow would be Leota 6, McReight 7, and Valetini 8.

McReight is bigger and stronger this year than he has ever been. Full credit to him as in previous years I thought he was a great player but too small.

He is a much better size for international level now and would also be my choice for Long-term Captain.

Shame Hollaway is gone as I thought he held his own at 6 at international level, overlooked I would think as too old now and going overseas.

I rate the 8's as follows:

1 Valetini
2 Wilson
3 Gleeson (This one likely to upset the Punters and disclaimer I am a Tahs supporter)
4 Cale

Cale fast and good but needs a few years to add on bulk.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
If Joe names Gleeson on the bench who would you think he'd replace during the game?
I assume you mean Wilson but in playing style Gleeson is most similiar to Valetini. Also, replacing Wilson leaves you with only 2 jumpers.

Personally I think Gleeson is unlikely for the bench - I’d guess Hooper or Williams will be preferred but I can see merit in letting Valetini go hard for 60 and then bringing Gleeson on.

Edit - and just to be really clear that is not any slight on Valetini. Malcolm Marx’s gets used in a similiar fashion.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I am predicting Gordon starting on bench and taking over captain towards end of match. Wilson to get replaced by Williams or Hooper after 60.
Really hope we get to see Toole this week or at least Jorgenson on the wing. Kellaway can be #23 and cover 13, wing and FB

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Liam Wright is the classic example of someone whose stocks have improved massively by simply not playing any relevant minutes at test match level while the rest of the team gets stomped
In what way? He was starting 6 & captain before injury. Now the guy who replaced him has been named captain. I know a few people thought the Springboks tests were evidence Wilson wasn’t up to test footy but it doesn’t seem like Schmidt agrees.

Wright may not have suffered reputation wise, but ever test he spends out someone else gets a chance to enhance their claim.

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
I am predicting Gordon starting on bench and taking over captain towards end of match. Wilson to get replaced by Williams or Hooper after 60.
Really hope we get to see Toole this week or at least Jorgenson on the wing. Kellaway can be #23 and cover 13, wing and FB
I like this logic - I reckon Jorgo is very close to starting at 14. Him, Wright and MK as a back 3 is pretty exciting, with AK (Andrew Kellaway) as cover.

What are your thoughts on the 3rd backs replacement? (assume AK (Andrew Kellaway) and Jake locked in)

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Riddle me this rugby nerds: Wallabies game at 8am Sunday, perfect, great, me time, no clashes.
BUT big clash Bokke v All Blacks at 2am.

Do I
1) Watch Wallabies live, pray to the Rugby Gods no commentator spoils the previous game then watch it after Wallabies; or
2) Wake up, watch correct order but both on delay??

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Riddle me this rugby nerds: Wallabies game at 8am Sunday, perfect, great, me time, no clashes.

Do I
1) Watch Wallabies live, pray to the Rugby Gods no commentator spoils the previous game then watch it after Wallabies; or

I’ll watch the Boks/AB’s game live if I’m not out, and then avoid the score for the other one and watch it on Sunday night with beer…

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Probably depends on the rest of the bench and if we're running a 5-3 or 6-2. The only time Valetini and Wilson have started together under Schmidt and not played 80 was against Georgia when Valetini was subbed off at the 70 minute mark, but the other two games have seen a horror run of concussions in the locks/props that meant he couldn't have subbed either even if he intended to.

I'd guess both are planned to go 80 with a tactical choice for who goes off to be made around the 60 or 70 minute mark, rather than baked in ahead of time.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Wake up at 6am, watch the Boks/AB's game then roll into the Wallabies game. You can join in Marce's delayed rolling commentary as well.

Just don't look at your phone and you won't know any different.
This is my plan.

Wife is away overseas for work so I'll watch the rugby from 6am & the kids can bring me breakfast in bed :D

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Do I
All-nighter surely.

Khun Phil

Frank Row (1)

Do I
Where I reside the times are not too bad.Boks v AB's at 10 pm,grab 5 hours sleep,then Argies v Wallabies at 5 am.Hope I am not wishing I had ignored the alarm,watching the Wallabies!